Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New wheelset – what would you do?
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I broke a load of spokes when out on a ride this weekend. Got home and surveyed the damage to find 5 jumbo dings in the rim too – ive done a bit in the peak and lakes recently and didn’t check the bike over when finished.

To cut a long story short the lbs have taken a look and said there’s no point rebuilding with a new rim because the hubs due a full service too. They’re quoting £165 to service hub and string a new rim on the hub.

I’m inclined not to bother since the hub and rim are 7 years old (dt swiss xr4.2d on a specialized stout hub) and buy something new.

The dilemma I have is that I’m planning on selling the bike next year so I don’t want to go mental on the replacement when it’s unlikely to boost the resale value of the bike.

I’m torn between:

Second hand wheelset hope/flow
    Or a cheap replacement from superstar.

Thoughts?

Am I missing out on any other deals?

The new wheel needs to be slightly beefier than xc but not super heavy. I’m only light but like jumps and drops (2-3 foot).

somouk
    Free Member

I would go for a second hand decent wheelset. It will help it maintain its value upon sale and if the new user wants to spend the cash they can get that wheelset serviced and any parts replaced.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d get these…
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/switch28-tactic-wheelset-clearance.htm

I have got the 29er version, which is good, and the 26in should be better in terms of weight and stiffness.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Cheers!

Had a pop at an auction for a stans wheelset last night. Those thing retain their value! 2010 wheelset went for nearly £190.

Think i’ll take a look at those superstar wheels now, price is much more in line with what I’d like to spend…

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think they can be beaten for the money and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the quality. Definitely a cut or two above the previous Superstar wheelsets I’ve seen.

spud-face

Check out superstar’s twitter/facebook for discount codes before ordering. They had 15% off wheels in general and £50 off the pacenti-switch wheelset. Mega-super discount had me persuade myself to buy a set last week, and I think they’ve now reduced the price to what it was with the discount anyway 🙄 (I can’t be sure, their website confuses the crap out of me)

I’d’ve been livid had I spent the extra though, so hey-ho.

(wheels seem nice by the way. Not put on a bike yet, but they didn’t explode as soon as I took them out of the box like rumour has it SS wheels do)

therevokid
    Free Member

got a nice tidy pair of Mavic Crosstrail’s in shimano 26″ front is
    9mm/15mm convertable, rear 135mm qr. All the tubless bits plus 2 brand
    new RT81s rotors.

going for £200 posted/collected …

tomaso
    Free Member

I sold a 3 month old Hope Flow rear built by Merlin for £140 posted the other week.

£198 new at Winstanleys.

tomaso
    Free Member

Or just get a regular Shimano hub and Mavic rim for £80

Superficial
    Free Member

26″?

26″ wheels are worthless at the moment – just have a look in the classified. I’m sure you’ll find something in there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New wheelset – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.