Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New wheels, worth me upgrading?
  • funklenut
    Free Member

I’ve got a few quid burning a hole and I fancy some Hope Hoops with Flow rims. With BC discount, QuidCo and ‘Spend and Save’ vouchers I can get them from Wiggle for ~250, which is pretty tempting.

Just wondering if I really need them or it’ll actually be an upgrade?

I’ve just build up a Hustler and sold bits from my old bike (SC Bullit) but I kept the wheels. They are Hope Bulbs with Mavic X321 rims. I’ve had them 8 years! They are running true and I service the hubs every now and then, so they run pretty smooth. Should I just keep what I have and save the money for when the Hustler snaps?!

cynic-al
    Free Member

If there’s significant weight to be saved at the rim then maybe, if that’s what you are after.

I’d save it to spend on coaching, clothing or some other “non upgrade” spend.

timb34
    Free Member

A quick google suggests 60g weight saving per rim – not much. (80g saving if going for the Flow Ex).

Might be worth it if you are looking to go tubeless?

funklenut
    Free Member

Thanks, it does sound like there isn’t much in it even though the wheels are fairly old. I reckon I’ll just treat them to some SS bearings and save the money as al suggested.

Northwind

it’s not a huge difference that tbh. Though as timb34 says, it opens things up for tubeless.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New wheels, worth me upgrading?’ is closed to new replies.