Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New Wheels – Wider, Lighter, Stronger?
  • proutster
    Free Member

So, following my rather foolish entry into the upcoming ND(H)uro at Hamsterly at the end of March, I’ve decided to try to help myself by shedding a bit of weight from my bike. I’m starting on the wheels, as that seems to be the accepted wisdom as where I’ll notice the biggest difference.

Yes, I will be adding to this by training and losing a bit of weight 🙂

Late last year I bought a new Giant Reign and I transferred the wheels and other assorted bits from my Giant Trance X before selling that.

I was horrified when I weighed the wheels (Superstar AM-490s on Superstar Switch EVO hubs) – the wheel set weighed 2152g!

So I’ve been searching on t’internet and have narrowed my choice down to:

1. Syntace W35MX wheelset -Pinkbike Review – super-wide at 28mm internal width, quite light at 1680g but expensive at €998. Has anyone got any experience of these? Is it just me that’s been “taken in” by this article on Pinkbike? – Pinkbike Article. The hubs look like some quality German engineering and I’m really tempted by the claimed benefits of much wider rims and lower pressures etc.

2. Light Bicycle Carbon Rims – Clicky – I’ve just got a quote from Light Bicycle to build a set of their new, wider, 26mm internal width, rims onto Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs with aero-bladed spokes for around £550 delivered (depending on exchange rate + any import duties?). Very light at 1575 plus or minus 25g. Again, anyone any experience of these, both the rims and the build quality?

3. Stans Flow EX – built up onto Pro 2 EVOs again, around £350 and approx 1750g.

My local riding is the Peaks with all the rocky descents that entails, so I don’t think Stan’s Arches (sp?) will be enough plus I’m also used to slightly wider rims, with the increased tyre footprint that gives.

So, what does everyone think? At the moment I’m leaning towards the Light Bicycle wheelset…

boxfish
    Free Member

The Light Bicycle rims are great. I ride a set laced to DT 240 hubs. I’ve also ridden Flows, but not the EX version. As I’ve no experience of the Syntace wheels, the question I’d ask is whether it’s worth spending an extra £200+ on carbon rims/bladed spokes to save less than 200g?

Plump for carbon…go on!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Hope Hoops /Stan’s Flow wheel set is not even close to 1750g. They are more like 1950, possibly more as the newer EX rims weigh even more now.

fivespot
    Free Member

What Hob Nob said about Hoops/Flows weight, but great wheels if you buy from Winstanleys for £292, even betterer 😉

proutster
    Free Member

Must admit it was a bit of a guess on the weight of the Flow build, thanks for the corrections.

jairaj

If you’re not too hard on your wheels then an Stans Arch EX rim might be OK that on hope hubs would be around 1700g.

Otherwise I can highly recommend Spank Ozzy’s wheelset currently on sale at CRC. Much wider than my Stans Crest, really adds more volume to the tyre. Super stiff feeling and come in at reasonable weight around 1700g.

davenorth1
    Free Member

just got some mavic 821 on hope pro 2 hubs. really fast and good climbers. sound great 2. bombproof

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Personally, i think that if you go down the Flow/ Hope option then don’t even look at the Arch EX. Only 15g per rim lighter than the flow ex and no where near as bombproof.

fozzybear
    Free Member

I have some black hope pro 2 evo on mavic 719 rims with black sapim spokes and nipple for sale.
    only built about 3 weeks ago from new.
    only reason for sale is someone was selling some CK wheels for silly cheap so i had to have them 🙂

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

there’ll be some derby 26 rims soon 😀

jairaj

Personally, i think that if you go down the Flow/ Hope option then don’t even look at the Arch EX. Only 15g per rim lighter than the flow ex and no where near as bombproof.

Arch EX is 80g a rim lighter in 26″ version compared to the Flow EX. I’d say that is a significant saving.

james
    Free Member

“Peaks with all the rocky descents that entails, so I don’t think Stan’s Arches (sp?) will be enough plus I’m also used to slightly wider rims, with the increased tyre footprint that gives.”

Reme,ber the BST2 of a Stans EX/crest etc pinches very little of the tyre so the tyre will sit wide, much wider than eg a mavic. I think Stans claim the ‘effective’ internal width of the 21mm internal Arch EX is more like 25mm effective
    Also being BST2 the flowEX will have an ‘effective’ width wider than actual too

IME Arch EX’s are great until you ding them. Pinching the tyre with them takes a bit of doing because of the way they hold the tyre. I only managed it when running temporarily running a tube, pinched the tube after landing in a lakes rock garden (jumping seem like a good idea at the time), but before I could stop the tube had completely deflated resulting in this:

I’ve yet to try straightening it out, but I suspect its not going to seat tubeless again. I should have run them tubeless all along
    Also with BST2 Stans, don’t try using 2012ish Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tyres, they don’t fit. Newer ones do, but at least the Fat Alberts On-one are selling cheap (must be the older) are the tight not fitting ones

“don’t even look at the Arch EX. Only 15g per rim lighter than the flow ex”
    Where on earth did you get that from?
    They’re 90-95g lighter per rim, 180-190g per wheelset. [At least they are in 26″ in black and according to stans]

“Spank Ozzy’s wheelset currently on sale at CRC. Much wider than my Stans Crest”
    How? I thought they’re both 21mm internal width?

chakaping
    Free Member

Worth thinking about Crossmax SX IMO.

Best wheels I have ever had, light enough and absolutely bombproof.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I can recommend Spank Spike Race28 wheels – I plumped for some recently over a ProII/Flow EX combo. 1900gish for the pair.

warns74
    Free Member

Have a look at the Spank Oozy wheelset too. I went for these over the hope/flows in the end as they were a decent amount lighter and great reviews.

discapade
    Free Member

Crossmax sx for me at 1750gms or there abouts…on my DH bike I have the dt Swiss ex1750 which I can’t fault. I am a heavy rider and these came back nice and true from a week in the alps….

edward2000
    Free Member

Another vote for Spank Oozy. I have a pair after reading some reviews.

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I’ve just got a pair of second hand Syntace W35’s. They are light compared to Stans Flow EX on Hope pro2 and the bearings feel super smooth. The Hans Dampf measures hardly any wider compared to the Flow EX, but has a flatter, less rounded profile. I’ve not had a chance to ride them yet.
    I bought them so I’d have a spare set of wheels and unless I’d found these second hand would have got another pair of Flow EX on Hope hubs. The main advantage (for me) is the weight saving and I’d like to see if even wider is better. I’m still wary of carbon rims, they may be stronger in tests but if you do dent them you can’t get a pair of mole grips on them!

jairaj

“Spank Ozzy’s wheelset currently on sale at CRC. Much wider than my Stans Crest”
    How? I thought they’re both 21mm internal width?

Yep just checked that, Spank is 0.5mm wider not sure if this is significant enough or if the tyre just sits differently in the rim but the tyre definitely has more volume on the Spank Ozzy wheels. Even my friends noticed and asked if I’d got new tyres.

Scarcat67
    Free Member

“Stans Flow EX – built up onto Pro 2 EVOs again, around £350 and approx 1750g.”

I run stans ztr crest on hope 2 hubs tubeless light quick wheelset with a maxxis ust advantage 2.1 on rear, and Speciliazed Purgatory 2.3 on the front and normal trails are around macc forest. The front wheel runs a 15mm bolt thru axle as well.

I have ran this wheelset for over 12 months now and touch wood rims have held up. I’m not the best descender in the world but nor am I slow, and these have coped with charity lane and more importantly Cumberland clough, and into the old quarry as well. Cracking value in my opionion !!

atlaz
    Free Member

I got a set of Easton EA70 XCT (UST, not carbon). Reported weight was about 1800g the pair for around 300 quid.

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I’m still leaning towards the Light Bicycle carbon wheels – been swayed by the light weight, wide rims and (dare I say it) the rarity value.

LB have just sent me an invoice based on the EVO version of the Pro IIs (40 points of engagement), so I might just press go and try to get them before the Chinese New Year kicks in 🙂

dknwhy

@proutster – how much did LB quote? Interested in some too….

trickydisco
    Free Member

I thought stans would be the default choice because of the ‘less faff’ tubeless capability

Those that chose the Ozzy wheelsets was this because they were lighter/cheaper?

Have you got them running ghetto tubeless as well?

pymwymis
    Free Member

American Classic ?

tomaso
    Free Member

MTFU 🙂

proutster
    Free Member

tomaso
    MTFU 🙂

??

proutster
    Free Member

dknwhy

@proutster
    – how much did LB quote? Interested in some too….

$922.19 delivered so, at PayPal’s exchange rate today, that’s £578.04

dknwhy

Cheers. Seems pretty reasonable.

Gee76
    Free Member

think I’ll be going for these next in my new 29er build. Just torn between trying the 30mm inner dia version or sticking with the 23mm id versions which have a pretty good foot print already. The 23mm versions are 1/4 lb lighter per pair too!.

The wheel build price seems pretty good too, especially if import duties are reasonable. If anyone fancies 26″ versions with 23mm inner diameter rims I have some for sale. They’re on dt swiss 240s hubs, very light (1400g) but very stiff. Looking for around £450, only a few rides use.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Be careful with the LB price, will most likely get caught for import duty and VAT as well. might be better to just get rims shipped over then take to a local shop for build on Pro2 hubs. Not a lot of point in buying UK made hubs that have been shipped to China and back then paying import duty on them!

My rims had £25 import to pay 2 weeks ago.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I had a set of Flow EX Hope Hoops on my last bike. They were flawless, and I’d buy them again without batting an eyelid.

jairaj

Those that chose the Ozzy wheelsets was this because they were lighter/cheaper?
    Have you got them running ghetto tubeless as well?

I got mine as they have a fantastic strength to weight ratio, got great reviews and where at a good price.

To run tubeless get the spank tubeless tape. It’s similar to the Stan’s tape but wider and thinner so it’s more flexible and works better. Just wrap the rim with a few layers making sure to go up the rim bead not just over the spoke holes. First time my normal maxis tyre was a bit slack and wouldn’t go up. Tried another layer of tape and the tyre went up very easy. Been fine for a few months now.

granny_ring

As blazin says, If you’re going to get custom built wheels get the hubs & rims sent to you and get them built by a LBS, they would no doubt look after you for any truing at a later date.

Northwind

I went for my Lightbicycle rim more or less out of curiosity- so far what I have learned is that it’s a bollocks to get straightpull spokes in the size I need, so I can’t comment on the actual wheel…

But, granny_ring’s post makes sense to me, I’d be inclined to get the rims from LB, which should also reduce the customs fees, and then get them built onto hubs locally. (i’d buy a cheap wheelset with DT240 hubs then dismantle it and refurb the hubs, mind!)

proutster
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles
    Be careful with the LB price, will most likely get caught for import duty and VAT as well. might be better to just get rims shipped over then take to a local shop for build on Pro2 hubs. Not a lot of point in buying UK made hubs that have been shipped to China and back then paying import duty on them!

My rims had £25 import to pay 2 weeks ago.

So has anyone else had to pay VAT? 20% makes a helluva difference to the price. If that happens, then it’s up from £578 to £694 and that’s without any import duties.

Done a bit of surfing and I could get the rims made up to the spec above for £695 (that’s with Sapim CX-Ray spokes) – so the same as LB if I have to pay VAT.

Hmmm, what to do – at those kind of numbers I might even go for the Syntace set for another £100. That brings a great warranty:

Syntace gives a 10 year warranty on all material and manufacturing defects. A potentially necessary repair or exchange occurs free of charge in the first 3 years warranty period, in the 4th-10th year warranty period, a 50% discount on the respective current retail price is offered. The warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or damage due to impact to the rim etc.

infidel
    Free Member

Here are my lightbike rims – picked up from Mark at Overspoked today who built them up for me. All in about £450 including build and customs duty. Very light and Mark said they build well. Will update when ridden but I can heartily recommend Mark and Overspoked (he’s in Bewdley in the West Midlands if anyone is interested)…

Northwind

I was charged VAT, but not the full value. All a bit confusing, LB declared the value as USD $30, which would be about £5 VAT, I got charged £8.75- so neither the (false) declared value or the correct value. So I guess there’s some revenue roulette involved.

proutster
    Free Member

infidel
    Here are my lightbike rims – picked up from Mark at Overspoked today who built them up for me. All in about £450 including build and customs duty. Very light and Mark said they build well. Will update when ridden but I can heartily recommend Mark and Overspoked (he’s in Bewdley in the West Midlands if anyone is interested)…

They look good! What was the spec for £450 all-in, we’re they the new, 33mm rims? Being a saddo as well, any idea on built weight?

infidel
    Free Member

They are the new wider rim. The hubs are Aireal (now defunct Aus outfit but I love them) and the spokes are Sapim CX Rays. I was too excited to get the wheels on the bike so didn’t weight them but they are noticeably lighter than the wheels they replaces (same Aireal hubs with DT swiss 4.2 rims and DT comp spokes).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New Wheels – Wider, Lighter, Stronger?’ is closed to new replies.