Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • New wheels, to drill or not to drill. Presta vs Schrader
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Just recieved a very shiny set of wheels with Stans Flows.

But I’m a die-hard schrader user, and would like to remain so.

The question is, do I drill out my brand-spanking new wheels?

Or make the dreaded switch to girly valves?

kiwijohn

Don’t drill.

bigdean

Hmmm am comming upto the same decision soon. Do you run tubes? Think thats what my decision is based on as all the tubeless valve thingys seem to be presta.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

It’s a bicycle, not a tractor.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s a valve. Either will be fine. Flip a coin.

Conan257
    Free Member

I run tubes, and have no intention of going tubeless at the moment.

I suppose I’d get around the issue of ease by carrying around an adaptor? It’s just so simple to have schrader stuff on tap, when presta is bike specific. (Means I have to go get new tubes tomorrow!)

andyl
    Free Member

why are you not going tubless? just get the proper removable core presta valve and get rid of your tubes.

cinnamon_girl

Or make the dreaded switch to girly valves?

Oooooh … pink?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Drill, then use whatever tube you like. Dint drill, and cry when you can only get an emergency schrader tube.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drill tubes are tubes, don’t get stuck when the only loan on a cold wet night is a schrader.
    Prestas are too flimsy for mountain biking 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

Presta to flimsy ?

GW
    Free Member

Drill.

My flows are drillied out for proper valves. .Paulo knows the score 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Presta valves have a few small advantages over schrader valve and no real disadvantages.

Unless you go riding completely unprepared and rely on other people to help you out, don’t bother drilling.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Presta valves have a few small advantages over schrader valve and no real disadvantages.

Presta Bends when unscrewed
    Schrader Tubes don’t fit in Presta Holes
    Both good to 100+psi

Unless you go riding completely unprepared and rely on[b]have a bad day and[/b] other people to help you out,

GW
    Free Member

What advantage does presta have?

Proper valves are good to 300psi Mike.

user-removed
    Free Member

Drill. Hardy valves versus delicate flowers. And you can do a hit and run on a garage pump in the far north west of Scotland when it all goes pear-shaped and your last but one tube has a 3″ slash 😳 .

I’m genuinely interested in the “few small advantages” presta have over schrader on a mountain bike.

Northwind

Presta have no advantages for us, apart from that they fit in both holes. Oh and it’s easier to spell

Some say it’s easier to get high pressures with presta, because you don’t have to pressurise the valve each time. Unconvinced. And not relevant to mtbs anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Proper valves are good to 300psi Mike.

Never tested a Presta above 110psi
    Schrader on the otherhand is fine up to 300 as I found out on my Shock
    They seem to work fine on HP suspension.

GW
    Free Member

Schrader = proper

somafunk

I’ll be honest and say i don’t like schrader valves based on the fact they’re ugly and look out of place on a bike, saying that i do carry a teeny brass adapter that allows me to use airlines/foot pumps if i’m stuck, never had to use it when out on the bike though.

Go tubeless now you’ve got the chance – not had a puncture in 4 years but then again i’ve done sod-all cycling really.

aracer
    Free Member

Prestas are too flimsy for mountain biking the mechanically incompetent

FTFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Prestas are too flimsy for mountain biking the mechanically incompetent
    FTFY

Thanks but even the “Mechanically Competent” have days when it’s cold and fingers don’t work properly. Or it’s dark and things get fumbled. Why stress.

GW
    Free Member

they’re ugly

The male member is a fairly ugly thing but I’d still rather have one that does it’s job well over a smaller/weaker one that’s more likely to fail to perform in use.

somafunk

Never had a failure yet, although I can see how certain ham-fisted souls may have a problem……we are talking bout valves ain’t we?.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve always drilled my rims… Never had a problem yet so don’t see a reason to change 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d say it’s the other way round TBH.

Take a look at, well, any air fork or rear shock. What sort of valve do you see there, ehh?

I’ve been drilling rims for 20 odd years. It’s a TINY fraction of metal that’s removed. There’s simply no reason not to do it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I ride so fast that my wheels reach such a high RPM that Schrader valves stand no chance, therefore I use Presta.

Conan257
    Free Member

Going to have a check on the warranty situation, just to keep myself happy, then get the old drill out like i’ve done with every other wheelset.

br
    Free Member

I run tubes, and have no intention of going tubeless at the moment.

So why buy Flows?

wrecker
    Free Member

Are we arguing over tyre valves?

scaredypants

drill, then fit tubeless schrader valves

emac65
    Free Member

Presta valves, for people who can’t use a drill…….

IHN

God it’s just a wee hole.

No, I think you’re thinking of something else.

MarkN
    Free Member

Are we arguing over tyre valves?

It seems that way…. 🙄

FuzzyWuzzy

Err if you prefer schrader valves then drill but you’d be better off going tubeless and presta…

boxfish
    Free Member

Honest question: why do Mavic/DT Swiss/Crank Bros/other proprietary tubeless systems use Presta?

RealMan
    Free Member

Presta look better, are lighter, easier to spell, easier to get straight in a rim, and easier to get through the valve hole, as well as being easier to deflate, and easier to get a pump on.

Some people don’t like presta because they’re ham fisted and bend valves occasionally. Easier to blame the valve then themselves.. 😉

Also with presta kids won’t nick your fancy dust caps.

Schrader valves.. well.. I suppose if you let a monkey fix your puncture there’s a better chance of it coming back okish. If you’re really scared that you’re going to go out without enough tubes/patches to get you home (and still can’t be bothered to take more tubes/patches) and insist on relying on other people, drill your rims. Then use presta (it’s what I have on my bmx – schrader holes, presta valves).

uwe-r
    Free Member

Schrader – for ham fisted luddites

Presta – for anal retentive pedants

boxfish
    Free Member

What niche valve for STWers?

nedrapier

woods

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘New wheels, to drill or not to drill. Presta vs Schrader’ is closed to new replies.