Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New wheels – to drill or not to drill
  • rj
    Free Member

I just got a new set of wheels (Arch EX on Hope) and they’re drilled for Presta valves, but all my tubes are Schraeder. Is there any reason not to stick a drill through the hole rather than buying new tubes, as long as I de-burr it properly? In particular is it likely to cause problems if I want to run tubeless at some point in the future?

scotroutes

Stans valves are Presta.

STATO
    Free Member

Tubeless rims, so tubeless them.

If your sticking with tubes, you only need 3. Front, rear, spare + patches. Should get that for less than £10.

rj
    Free Member

So much for that plan, then.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve drilled mine. Means I have Schraeder on all my bikes and the wife’s. Bit easier for spares and pumps and Schraeder valves are a bit more robust

daveh
    Free Member

You’ll regret drilling them if you ever go tubeless, which of course you should do immediately.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

drill if you go tubeless use schraeder valves instead of the rubbish presta type 🙂

winch
    Free Member

Definitely don’t do it if you might ever consider selling them.

orangeboy
    Free Member

What’s rubbish about presta valves ?

chvck
    Free Member

If you have the fettling skills of a gorilla you might break them.

kayak23

Drill them….

Auto valves
    I did both my flows.

kimbers

presta valves half way through an enduro in february with numb hands covered in mud are crap for this gorilla

fair weather roadies will probably be fine tho

Mikeypies
    Free Member

presta whats the point on mtbs ? the little knob thing can be broken when removing a pump thus rendering the tube useless trialside and they offer no advantages

as for a smaller hole in the rimm unless you are using super skinny light weight rims there isnt an issue

neilforrow

kayak23 +1

Just drilled a set of dt swiss m480s. now tuber-less with no tubes valves.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with presta and yes I do ride all year round in the mud and everything

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All my proper rims are drilled for schrader with small inserts for presta.

Running Stans Presta valves in the big holes with the insert on mavic rims with just yellow tape, also have Jo’s rim strips on the other ones with Schrader valves. No issues at all.

Presta is a stupid thing for mountain bikes. Schrader does all of the jobs a presta does but more robustly. The ones on my forks and shocks manage fine with up to 200psi.

IanW
    Free Member

If they were supposed to have a big hole in em that’s how they would have arrived.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

8mm vs 6mm?

nickjb
    Free Member

If they were supposed to have a big hole in em that’s how they would have arrived

Or they would have arrived with a 6mm hole so you have a choice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New wheels – to drill or not to drill’ is closed to new replies.