Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New wheels recommendations for an Alpine 160
  • saxabar
    Free Member

It turns out I’m in the market for some new fully built wheels and am stuck for which, or even how much to spend. So, to the hive mind I turn. Ideally I’d like to keep it under £400 but will go higher up to £600 or so to get it right. Help!

saxabar
    Free Member

Some more detail might help. They will be used for rocky trail use, downhill days, Alps trips and jumps and drops. I’m about 11 stone and a bit. Tyres will be high rollers with 2.5 minions for downhill days. 20mm axle front and 135mm maxle rear. 😀

ashweee
    Free Member

Well I’ve got some mavic crossmax sx’s on my alpine 160, they seem pretty tough, go up tubeless really easily and are way lighter than the standard wheels (they also look rather nice which is a bonus) but they use fancy non standard spokes which could be a pain and they’re quite expensive for what they are.

If you’ve got the original wheels why not get the hope pro 2 hubs laced with a different rim?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for the rebuild if they hopes, get exactly what you want for a decent price

Yetiman
    Free Member

Another +1 if you already have decent hubs. A pair of Light Bicycle hookless carbon rims would be high on my shopping list.

saxabar
    Free Member

Well, the backstory is that I’m moving everything over from an Intense 6.6 to the Alpine frame (which isn’t going as smoothly as I’d like!). These are Stans Flow rims with Burgtec hubs that won’t convert. They’ll fit nicely on another bike though hence why entire new set needed. Superstar seem to be a dirty word here. Is this something to be ruled out?

cloudnine
    Free Member

The obvious flows with hope pro2. I wouldn’t buy wheels from ss just in case of any warranty issue.. ss are good value until it breaks or fails.

saxabar
    Free Member

Cheers all. The Crossmax do look pretty poke, but pushing the budget a little. Flows on Hope Pro2 it is! 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Yeah I’d recommend flow ex on pro 2’s. I’ve got crossmax enduros on my alpine but I’ve also got flows on superstars for dh etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New wheels recommendations for an Alpine 160’ is closed to new replies.