Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New wheels question
  • DezB
    Free Member

Just recommended this to a mate – Merlin : Hope Pro2 Hubs, Mavic XM819 UST disc rims, DT rev spokes.
    F: £128
    R: £194

Sounds like a good deal to me, but it’s bloody Yeeears since I bought new wheels.

Whatdyareckon?

(Edit: “Build your own” suggestions will be ignored!)

Tiboy

I’ve gone for stan’s flow rims on pro2s, £255 the pair, including spare spokes and 20mm conversion for the front, pretty good value I thought.

sofatester
    Free Member

You wont go far wrong with that setup. No matter what anyone says, Hope/mavic wheels are perfect for just about any riding. Build as light or strong as you need.

Happy trails!

RealMan
    Free Member

Go for dt comp spokes. Especially as its XM819s.

XM819s with revs is silly. XM819s are strong, but a bit heavy. Revs are light, but a bit weak. So the wheel isnt going to be light or strong.

Apart from that, good wheel choice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes – no point in revs on these rims. Go for stans if you are wanting to lose weight.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Without hijacking the thread I’ve been looking at getting 2 pairs of wheelsets for me and the missus.

Originally thought it was a no brainer to get Hope hubs on Stans 355 rims for £250ish. Unfortunately the missus has seen the Mavic Crosstrails in the LBS for around £313 (same price point as the OP’s wheels).

Looking at the £300 range of wheelsets available are there any other wheelsets to consider (Fulcrum Red Metal 3’s)?

I’ve managed to get myself confused with it all so currently looking for a little advice.

Ta!

DezB
    Free Member

Jon – CRC have Crosstrails for well under £300 – ’08 version for what that matters!

Thanks for advice folks.

fivespot
    Free Member

Just bought a set of Hope Hoopes with Stans Flow rims from my LBS (Alf Jones Wrexham) they matched a tinterweb price from Bike Outlet York £240 for the pair, Bargain. Went tubeless straight away useing a pair of Presta valved 20″ tubes cut down to make rim strips (£5).

votchy
    Free Member

Hope hoops with stans flow from wheelpro so you get the RM treatment

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New wheels question’ is closed to new replies.