Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New wheels or drive train?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Looking at splashing some cash towards the XC hardtail and cant decide between new wheels or gears/crankset.

I am considering either fulcrum red metal zero wheels (currently have Mavic 317 on deore hubs!!)

or X.0 shifters, derailleur and truvative noir crankset. (currently LX shifters, XT der and truvative cranks)

The wheels will give me the most weight saving, but would I benefit from the performance of the X.0 and lighter crankset?

soobalias
    Free Member

new wheels for the sake of it.
    new drivetrain when it needs it.

sofatester
    Free Member

Total budget for the new parts?

I would steer clear of "factory" wheels and buy something handmade. Hope/mavic/DT would be far better, easier to service and get spares for.

Is the drive train worn to a point of not functioning as it should?

If not why do you need to change it? Once a gear is selected it comes down to the engine driving the pedals. 😉

si-wilson
    Free Member

Wheels for sure, you will notice the weight loss with improved acceleration if you choose the right wheels.

Though i am not sure i would go with the Fulcrum wheels, they seem very expensive!

tinsy
    Free Member

Its winter now, use the drivetrain until its dead.. Get some wheels 2nd the just getting a set made up route, pro2's revolution spokes and them light stans rims or just plain old 717's

cullen-bay
    Free Member

wheels. rotational mass is better to be cut.

organic355
    Free Member

does nobody like the Fulcrum wheels then? I know they are expensive, but you can get a used pair for around £350 on ebay.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New wheels or drive train?’ is closed to new replies.