Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New wheels – looks v performance v price
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

I managed to pick up a set of white DT240 hubs from here a while ago with the intention of building a nice light set of road wheels which can take a disc for my Croix de Fer.

In my head the wheels were going to be all white – making a super white mean machine that is going to be a bitch to clean!

However, chatting with roady mates in the know, I have been advised that Mavic Open Pro rims pretty much set the standard for quality v weight v durability v price tradeoffs and with the Stans rims coming in at about £30ish (very brief internet search) more a rim with negligible weight saving it’s hard to argue.

But the Stan’s rims are white. The Mavics silver or black!

I am already dissapointed I can’t get the DT spokes in white, but could probably cope…

My head is telling me forget the looks, get silver (20p cheaper per spoke) spokes and the silver Mavic rims (£4 per rim cheaper).

But there is a grumble in the background making me think that white stans rims, with black spokes would look pretty groovy.

Any thoughts from the hive?

Dom

robsoctane
    Free Member

I have this dilemma all of the time with my bikes. If performance is not the only factor then build what you want… Groovy is the way, IMO

Give us a look when done please 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Go all silver with Hope hubs as well, very nice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrDomRob
    Free Member

This is the thing – If performance was the only factor, I wouldn’t own a Croix de Fer!!!! The looks of this bike are quite important to me… But can’t decide if they are important enough to add another ~£30 per wheel

TSC – Already bought the DT240s. They are sat waiting to be turned into something useful!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

could get them powder coated I suppose…!

njee20
    Free Member

You can get white DT Competitions and Aerolites, fair bit more expensive, but they exist. Or, stupid as it sounds, spray some.

Stan’s rims are about 50g per rim lighter, which is a fair bit IMO. Although really you should get some white FFWD F2Rs and do it properly!

IA

Do you just like riding your bike, or does the hobby side of having a nice bike, choosing your own build, getting it “just so” give you pleasure too?

If the answer’s “yes”, spend the extra. No, it won’t make you faster etc, but you will enjoy your bike more – which is the whole point, right? It’s not just about the ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stans alphas are 80gm lighter or so? no cheaper way off saving that weight AFAIK.

tubeless too.

Sorry IDGAS about coloour, that is hopelessly gay.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

IA,

With all of my other bikes, just riding is what is important to me, but I think the CdF is such a pretty bike that it warrants keeping that way, hence I am not applying my normal “ooo that’s a good deal, sod the colour it’ll make the bike better” attitude.

I definately think this is my “just so” bike.

FFWD?!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, stands for Fast Forward, they do carbon wheels, and they do white 20mm rims (same as the Planet X ones). Look a bit gash though as they’ve still got a bare carbon brake surface, but at 250g they really do save weight.

chriswilk
    Free Member

it a CdF which weighs a tonne anyway, so a few grams saving is not really what it’s about…

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Chris – It’s rotating weight so it will make a slight difference, far more of a difference than losing the same weight on the frame… But, I agree, not enough of a difference to justify carbon rims. So I think the FFWD’s are off the cards.

I am not a particularly light rider (75 – 8o kg depending on bowel movements), but am using 32 hole hubs (240s are MTB hubs)… Wondering if I can build enough stiffness into a lighter rim…

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Alpha rims, can they be de-stickered? On the stans website they look black and stickered too me….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think so, mine are just anodised, so they’ll be stuck on to that I think.

Mine are on the road bike, no issues so far.

njee20
    Free Member

Certainly can on the MTB rims, just peel off.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Cynic-al, are yours white?

njee20
    Free Member

You can’t anodise white, so no.

They won’t be lacquered though, so you’ll still be able to peel them off.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Ah, didn’t know that….

Hmm, looks like I might be back on the powder coating option if white is a must!

tomd
    Free Member

I had a look at the white Arch MTB rims, but the weight was listed as 40g more per rim than the black. I guess the difference in anodized vs paint, either way I thought sod it I’m not sticking a needless 80g on for vanity sake (assuming the list weights were correct).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New wheels – looks v performance v price’ is closed to new replies.