• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New wheel time
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Do you buy a new hub for a wheel build or reuse your old hub. I can’t decide. My old hub is a hope XC and running perfectly. Should I get an new one when building a new rear wheel. No significant spare parts are made for the XC but it’s not that worn either. Thinking of reusing it and then run it till it breaks properly. Any thoughts?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why replace a “perfectly running” hub?

All you are likely to need is bearings for that hub, ever. Hope may still do spare pawl springs, the only other likely part.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Was thinking the same. Bearings are common.
    Cheers.

Northwind

Sometimes it can be good value to sell what you have and buy a whole new wheel, that’s the flipside (I wanted to build a light xc wheelset and the cheapest way to get the rims I wanted was to buy a brand new discounted wheelset with those rims, and take it apart! And that’s even before I get the hubs sold)

chakaping
    Free Member

Rear wheels I’d re-use, front it can be more economical to a buy new complete wheel.

br
    Free Member

It depends really, how much more is it for a pair then buying bits and having them built?

I got 2 sets of 29er wheels last year, one pair new and the others I had built from existing Hope evo hubs as I got a pair of Flow rims cheap.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New wheel time’ is closed to new replies.