Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New wheel build – DT 240s worth the extra
  • vmgscot

Pricing up a wheelset for a new build and I have always previously based around Hope hubs. However, actionsports.de have some keen DT240 custom build pricing (even with exchange rate) so the same build (with 18T ratchet) would only be £50 more then UK build with Hopes.

Are DT240s worth the extra?
    And anybody got recent experience of their build quality?

Cheers

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I prefer DT 240s. never need servicing (ok need a special tool but they can be had cheap on ebay or get the shop to do it) and are, lighter and quieter!

Hope are great but they often don’t save much weight over stock hubs I find.

nedrapier

I’d go 240 for £50 extra.

NZCol

Always been impressed with 240s and spec over 350s every time- weight, durability, build etc

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Total no brainer over Hopes. Better in every way IMO.

I’d even pick 350’s over Hope too 🙂

vmgscot

Thanks all for the feedback.
    DT240 it is then.

Northwind

The better sealing and reliability of the DTs will pay for that £50 difference soon enough tbh. 350 vs 240 is a harder choice

adsh
    Free Member

240s are worth it.

You should be happy with your build – I was – quick and the wheels are well built

adsh
    Free Member

240s are worth it. The front is easier to swap axles on 240s compared to 350s

You should be happy with your build – I was – quick and the wheels are well built

deadkenny
    Free Member

For £50 extra, definitely.

240 over a 350 though, while lighter, they’re normally a lot more expensive (and 350s aren’t cheap either), and 350s are damn good anyway.

Is the price difference though mainly based on getting the 240 build from actionsports.de vs somewhere you’d locally pay? i.e. the saving isn’t what you’re ordering but where from. Are actionsports any good at wheel builds, and what about warranty?

adsh – Member
    The front is easier to swap axles on 240s compared to 350s

As far as I know it’s just the 20mm hubs that are an issue. 240 “oversize” I think is a 20mm by default and can convert to others. 350 20mm hub is fixed at 110mm width and there’s no conversion for it (though wouldn’t that mean it could be a 15mm boost?).

Regular 240/250 hubs convert between 15mm/QR etc, but they’re not big enough to turn into 20mm.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I can vouch for action sports. Had two pairs of wheels from them. Great price, good service

bigjim

For me there’s no going back to hope after DT, except for that orange perhaps…

Northwind

deadkenny – Member

Regular 240/250 hubs convert between 15mm/QR etc, but they’re not big enough to turn into 20mm.

Yup, though there’s an “oversize” DT240S too which does QR, 15mm and 20mm.

(which is all pretty complex but actually makes them one of the few hubs that doesn’t suck for 15mm- most competitors make only one larger, heavier hub then space it down so there’s no advantage to the 15mm axle, only disadvantages. 15mm’s always been bullshit but this is how to maximise the bullshittiness.

vmgscot

Thanks again all.
    I’m not a serial bike buyer – normally getting 5/6 years out a bike so compatibility changes not too much of an issue. The hubs will be 12×148 and 15×110.

Good to hear from someone who has had builds from actionsports – makes them less of an unknown.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve had both. 240s were still like new after 3 years, Hopes tend to feel a bit rough after a year of the same usage. I went for Hopes this time due to the price difference, would definitely go for 240s for £50!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New wheel build – DT 240s worth the extra’ is closed to new replies.