Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New waterproof jacket?
  • Fat-boy-fat

My venerable 10 year old gore paclite has died. Looking for a similar replacement. Needs to be xxl for my 48 inch chest, needs to have long arms (Endura need not apply for that !) and a bit longer in the body would be good. Any recommendations?

dukeduvet

How much is your budget? Do you want something light or full on waterproof?

Thinking about this myself and Madison Addict was good value around £100, lots of features and some good reviews.

link

Or Altura Mayhem

zelak999
    Free Member

Thinking about getting the Gore Element GT jacket.
    No hood but it’s reasonable ( for GT) if you shop about.

Fat-boy-fat

Budget isn’t really a consideration to be honest. Breathability is key for me. I’m a sweaty Betty, so it’ll get wet on the inside before the outside if it isn’t breathable. I’ve had bad experience with Madison waterproofs, so I might give that a miss. I’ll have a look at the Element. Cheers for the recommendation.

jam-bo

Something with goretex pro then. Most breathable material I’ve used.

therevokid
    Free Member

got a couple of jackets that use eVent … breathes quite well.

zippykona

I bought one of these for walking the dog. £23 new off eBay. It was absolutely hosing down one day so cycled to work in it. Having the hood up over my helmet( ! ) just made it feel like it wasn’t raining. The water beaded off a treat and I arrived bone dry. The sleeves are a little short but they come in all kinds of lengths. How sweaty they get on a long ride I don’t know but I will certainly get a longer armed one for truly filthy rides.

mcnultycop

Mayhem here, also 48″ chest with long arms. Perfect.

z1ppy

If your a big lad (sweaty!) I’d suggest prioritising finding a jacket with good/well located pitzips over the ‘best’ breathable materials

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I use a Gore windstopper. Can’t remember what it’s called but the one with removable sleeves. I’m 6’6″ and fits well. It’s not waterproof as such but does a good job. If you sweat a lot I don’t rally see the point of full waterproof. I have a Gore gortex and it gets pretty hot and uncomfortable pretty quickly – I only use it when walking the dog these days. Also to be fair if it is raining that hard I’m heading back anyway!

velosam
    Free Member

I think the above jacket is either the phantom or gore alp-x so

roryo07
    Free Member

I got a Gore Element GT Paclite from TG Store and would highly recommend it – It seems to be on backorder at the moment though!

SaxonRider

I’ve got one of these that I bought in the Alps a few years back. It is nothing short of awesome.

Light, completely windproof, yet breathable, I don’t think I have ever had any jacket so well-suited to a variety of adventurous, outdoors-y tasks.

I know that it is not a name known here in the UK, but it is well worth the money in my opinion.

beano68
    Free Member

I use my old Arc’teryx SV Goretex Pro which is phenomenal is bad conditions, best goretex jacket I’ve ever owned.

You might get a good 2nd hand one on fleabay if your lucky

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.