• This topic has 121 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • New warm supermini's – are there any?
  • chestrockwell

Polo GTI – uses the 1.8 engine and canes the rest into submission

I think you’ll find the Fiesta ST disagrees! 😉

On another note, pick up a copy of Top Gear magazine. I tested loads of cars last year and found their reviews to be very accurate and they focus more on the actual drive compared to What Car who seem to value residuals, boot space and value above everything else.

surfer
    Free Member

You’d be better off looking at the whatever the Fiat equivalent is (500?) the smaller Alfas/Fiats are all the same cars underneath but with a price hike for the Alfa badge.

So you think the Mito is built on the same floor pan as the 500 😛

Almost all cars share parts you know.

shifter
    Free Member

Polo GTI – uses the 1.8 engine and canes the rest into submission

I think you’ll find the Fiesta ST disagrees!

Either way, 180odd bhp takes you away from warm supermini.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes, it’s always tempting to keep upping the power and upping the budget.. But I need to keep the price down as much as possible.

I genuinely don’t know if I’ll fit my ass into the narrow Swift seat but I’m going to book a test drive and find out. I’ve seen a few new ones at dealerships for just over 12k, which seems brilliant value if they live up to the reviews.

I’m driving an Up! Tomorrow as well as a Polo. Spent some time on CarWow today and had a few offers come back on a Polo R-Line, which if financing through the dealer can drop the RRP from 17.5k to 14.5k. Nice.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Fiesta with ecoboost is a great option. Swift is well thought of and the Fabia VRS Tdi is cracking.

Fiat 500 floorpan was sold to Ford for their KA.

allthegear
    Free Member

Fabia VRS tdi is very, very old now though.

Rachel

demonracer

I would give the 500 another look, the twin air comes in 85bhp and 105bhp versions which are both nippy and will run at motorway speed happily. My other half has the 85bhp version and is very happy with it. I can also comment on the mini as I own one (R56 1.6 cooper non S) it’s prettying cheap to run at £120 a year for tax, returns 40-50mpg depending on how it’s driven/if your on a run and servicing is reasonable.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I physically cannot fit into a Fiat 500.

Test drove a 75ps Up! at lunch time – lovely build quality, needs some juice to progress from a standing start then has a boost up to 30mph – and then.. not a lot.
    Way to breathless for me im afraid, considering similar/better economy can be had for not much more.
    So, that also writes off the Citigo and Mii.

We crunched some figures on the Polo R-Line (1.0/110bhp).. seems I can ‘get onto one’ for £191 PCM. Not that much more than the £150 budget I had originally self imposed – and has the looks and economy im after. However, turns out I could drive away a BlueGT with 150hp for £197 PCM.

This stretches my original total budget from circa 11k to 18k (! 🙂 !) – the lure of spreading the cost via PCP getting close to claiming another victim..
    Paid off student loan recently so am unlikely to notice a drastic hit on my wallet – especially as my Megane is currently costing well over £1000PA to keep on the road.

The current shortlist:

Polo R-Line / Blue GT
    Ibiza FR
    Swift Sport

Possibly also considering:

Fiesta Ecoboost

peteimpreza

“I physically cannot fit into a Fiat 500.”

Time to change your forum name then ……………………

demonracer

I’m almost almost 16 stone, a little over 6 foot and can get the seat far enough back so I can’t reach the pedals … Just curious have to tried to fit in one?

legend
    Free Member

*suddenly understands the 500XL*

😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cheers Pete, the name is an ironic moniker.

Yes, I tried to fit in one. The door aperture is tiny so its just plain uncomfortbale to back in, plus the bubbble shaped doors mean my head is too close to the window for comfort. The pedals are too close together for my liking and my left leg is impeded by center console.

I don’t want a 500!

Thank you please.

enbern
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been suggested, and I know it isn’t technically a supermini, but the Fiesta ST is the absolute best car released last year in any class.

For 20 grand (off the website, I bet you could blag it at a dealer for less) you get a car that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, gets 40mpg and will fit a small family in it. This thing handles like it’s a go kart that can’t lose grip and you can overtake 95% of road drivers, people do not expect this thing to go the way it does.

Even hearing all of the reviews (which had nothing but praise for it) I didn’t expect this thing to be as good as it is.

EDIT: In fact just use carwow if you are going to buy it new, I got my one for 17.5k and it was the ST-3, which is only slightly more expensive than the base model ST-1 off the ford website.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Less than 30mins ago I configured a CarWow search for the Fiesta ST (1)- first offer back, cash price £15,935, finance price £14,875

That’s, erm, pretty good. Right?

enbern
    Free Member

You won’t get more car for your money, that’s for certain. Check out how much the ST-3 would cost. I’m a gadget whore and it was worth the extra couple grand for me.

I financed it anyway and it only worked out about 15-20 quid more a month and I felt it was a good price for the “best” one (it’s all about that engine though).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I want to like the Fiesta ST, I really do. It hovered on the edge of my shortlist when looking for a new car but I just couldn’t get excited by the shape. I’ve had Fords and I admire Fords, but I do find them a bit lacklustre in the looks and cabin departments. Definitely a head rather than heart purchase for me. I’d love to drive the ST though.

enbern
    Free Member

I don’t mind the looks and I actually really like the interior, which happens to be the only part people fault (not through quality, but through design).

My biggest issue with the ST is the fact that the Fiesta was the most registered car last year which means that you are driving probably the most common car on the roads, which makes it worse for uniqueness than that German manufacturer everyone goes on about.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I know the feeling. I put a deposit down on a black 1 Series the other day, then noticed 3 parked in the office car park…the same colour!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I want to like the Fiesta ST, I really do. It hovered on the edge of my shortlist when looking for a new car but I just couldn’t get excited by the shape

This x100

I like that they tried to make the front end smart in a DB7’esque way, but it still just doesnt look right to me.
    And that dash, with all those fiddly buttons.. its gopping.

It would only be sold to me on a pure driving level – at which it apparently excels. So I will test drive one.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Just sold my Ibiza cupra for a grand total of £350 quid….170bhp, went like stink..

Could have got much more for it if it hadn’t been yellow I reckon

legend
    Free Member

For 20 grand (off the website, I bet you could blag it at a dealer for less) you get a car that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, gets 40mpg and will fit a small family in it. This thing handles like it’s a go kart that can’t lose grip and you can overtake 95% of road drivers, people do not expect this thing to go the way it does.

12 years of progress and you get the equivalent of a Clio 182, but with more weight and some bluetooth – impressive 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ha! That’s one way of looking at it /\

Sat in an Ibiza tonight, couldn’t get the ergonomics to work for me, nor was I swayed by its aesthetics, so think I’ll be crossing it from ‘the list’.

matt_outandabout

Sat in an Ibiza tonight, couldn’t get the ergonomics to work for me

I find it ‘odd’ after the Galaxy in ours – really small windscreen! But it is mega comfy on long trips…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m a ‘larger lad’ and no issues with the seats in the Swift 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

I find it ‘odd’ after the Galaxy in ours – really small windscreen! But it is mega comfy on long trips…

I had seat on lowest setting and felt that my eyeline was far too close to the edge of the sun visor for my liking. Had a similar thing on a Peugeot 306 years ago and developed neck strain from subconsciously squatting my neck to compensate.
    Other than that it was comfy, just didn’t set my pulse racing at all.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Mini Cooper. How do we feel about them?

shifter
    Free Member

I like’em. There’s some Mini hate on here, mainly because they’re not as tiny as the original. Wait ’til they find out there’s an Evoque cabrio.

carthorse73
    Free Member

I had two Mini Cooper SD diesels and they were faultless cars. Apart from tyres and screen wash they never needed anything in over 5 years of ownership.
    My eldest offspring is about to start driving so I needed something cheaper that I could get him on the insurance for so I sold the Cooper and bought a ’09 plate Panda 100HP for 2.5k.
    Not regretting it so far – the little Panda is an absolute hoot to drive and nothing has fallen off yet………

onandon
    Free Member

After all the fluff, I thought I’d test drive a fiesta ST when I was looking for a new car.
    I discovered a few things.

Ford dealers are absolute shite.
    The recaro seats fitted to them are really poor.
    The Sony stereo fitted is a pile of tat.

I dont care how good they are to drive, I’m ooot

chestrockwell

Luckily for me my local ford dealer is ace. The Sony stereo I might agree with as the one in our kuga is not as good as the standard ford one in the old focus, especially the dab signal.

chestrockwell

We really liked our mini and nothing ever went wrong. It started to creak a bit after 5 years though, probably due to the busy dashboard and they really are impracticaly small apart from in the front (60 reg).

slimjim78
    Free Member

So lunch break today was a Fiesta and Mini adventure.

Humble pie time – Regarding the ST and Zetec-S models, The Fiesta is just great up close. I liked the interior WAY more than I thought I would and the ergonomics were fine.
    Although, the Recaro’s in the ST were way too pumped up and obtrusive for me. I was perched on top as opposed to sat inside it. Which is a real shame as the ST had up to that point become a very strong contender even prior to test drive.

However! The Zetec S (red edition, bit too bright) right next to it had virtually all the looks, with a much more comfortable sport seat. So, ive booked a test drive for next week.
    If nit-picking, I dont like the rear drums specced on the Zetec S, i’d much rather see discs poking through the large alloy wheels (like on the ST).
    It ‘only’ has 140bhp too, but in reality, the better economy over the ST is closer to my original brief.

Next up, the Mini Cooper. Oh my, what a little cracker that is inside. I’m not sure i’ve ever prefered an interior of any car as much as this one. Stunning quality, great ergonomics, bags of room, lovely switches and materials. This new model really is a step up in class.
    Test driving booked for monday and have spoken about sourcing a 15 Reg bargain which they seem keen on, im just not sure I can quite get hold of one at the monthly figure im comfortable with.

As things stand its probably level pegging between Polo R-Line/GT, Mini Cooper and Fiest Zetec-S.

If the Feista drives as stonkingly well as its alleged, and with its rock bottom pricing (CarWow offering at £13,500), its suddenly hard to look past it!

cokie

All great cars! Don’t think you can go wrong. I’m looking at similar, but may blow the budget and go for the Polo GTI (new 1.8 Turbo version).

As a heads up, check out some other broker sites as Car Wow is rarely the cheapest. My two favorites are:
    – drivethedeal.com ; they have the Zetec S Black for £13,040, and Red for £12,620
    – Oranegwheels.com ; not cheaper for this model

Remember that the deals are often based on taking the car through their finance. If paying cash you need to add the deposit contribution and other bits on top. It is however possible to take their finance loan and pay it off within a month in full. You don’t get stung by their interest but retain the original lease benefits. Usually there is no early settlement fee. Lots of people do this for a variety of manufacturers, just double check their Ts&Cs. Takes a little bit of work but worth it. That’s my plan when I get round to it.

If you don’t have the cash, just take out a low interest loan- some are offering 3.3% for £7.5-15k (M&S, Sainsbury’s), vs the VW 6.8%! No brainer.

Other cars to consider are the Peugot 208 GTI. It gets a good review. Bit of a left field choice though.

enbern
    Free Member

Glad you managed to find a few you like!

One thing I would warn is that I’ve heard less than great reliability stories from Mini owners – that could however be completely different with the new ones and you will be under warranty for a while anyway.

Unfortunately Mini’s don’t have the same BMW reliability, however they near enough share the BMW costs…

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, ive just seen the Zetec S in my prefered colour as follows:

FORD FIESTA HATCHBACK
    Description
    1.0 EcoBoost 140 Zetec S Navigation 3dr
    Options
    Privacy glass, Cloth – Charcoal black, Metallic – Deep impact blue
    Price : £13,305.20

Theres currently an offer of just £99 for SatNav pask on Fiestas. Nice.

So, you just order straight through the website??

One thing I would warn is that I’ve heard less than great reliability stories from Mini owners – that could however be completely different with the new ones.

I’ve read horror stories too. Reason I went to look was I figure that if I am completely smitten by one (and can afford it), I would indeed be covered by warranty until I change it in 2 / 3 years.

Almost can’t believe i’m sasying this, but for £13k I’m starting to think the Fiesta is the best option. Test drives next week will obviously help make my mind up.

cokie

Hmm, that specs coming up as £13,206.20 on Drive the Deal.

Yes, you order through them. They just act on your behalf to secure the deal.
    Just so you know, the cars aren’t always in stock.. some can be and others have to be built. Just talk to them and ask.

slimjim78
    Free Member

£99 extra for satnav pack 🙂

Sundayjumper

Isn’t that “take finance, pay it off immediately” approach a legal right under the rules about cooling off periods ?

cokie

Ahh, right you are. Didn’t spot that in the deal.
    Whats the plan with the car? Buy it outright and own?
    If so, check out the residuals and depreciation. The Fiesta isn’t the best in that regard. The Polo holds its value fantastically well (as long as its not the bogo 1.0, 1.2 non-Tsi, or anything lower than SE). Some of them you could run depreciation free for a year!

Edit- Sundayjumper- you could be right. It’s just not obvious to many that its an option. I did the same with my MSc career development loan. They were charging 9.9% interest! Sorted a 3.4% interest the next day and paid it off in full with no charge. Saved me over £1800.

slimjim78
    Free Member

The plan was ititially to pay off and own, but as the prospect of PCP has settled on me, the idea of changing every 2 or 3 years and remaining within warranty/MOT period has grown on me.

So with increased depreciation, you effectively pay more over the period of payment plan, as your potential asset is worth less than the agreed final value?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘New warm supermini's – are there any?’ is closed to new replies.