Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • New voodoo bizango
  • superstu
    Free Member

Always well rated, just seen that there is a new voodoo bizango out. For £650 (before normal discounts) you get a decent frame, 1 x 11 (although confused as to whether it’s NX or Deore), deore brakes and a half decent air fork. And boost, and dropper ready.

No connection to Halfords just think if my bikes got nicked and I was starting again I’d have one as my hardtail.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1378487&storeId=10001

Northwind

Last years’ is on discount too. Pisstakingly good.

davosaurusrex

Saw that as well earlier, does look great for the money, especially with BC discount. Be nice if they put stack and reach figures up though. As you say would also be nice to know what the drive train is…

Clink

Just shame still QR rear, otherwise bloody great.

kelron
    Free Member

It’s NX 1×11 according to the spec sheet.

Basically looks like the last model updated with the new standards. 1x, boost, internal dropper routing. Also better brakes. Assuming the frame is the same otherwise it should be a great bike.

superstu
    Free Member

Looks longer as well but can’t see reach figures, just going off the photos which is never clever. Agree it is a shame about the QR rear, seems odd to continue it.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

Agree it is a shame about the QR rear, seems odd to continue it.

Why? What’s the problem / alternative?

(Genuine question, based on not having any problems getting the back wheel in/out of my Bizango…)

coomber
    Free Member

No issue with QR but when the front is boost its a bit mis matchched. So you want to upgrade wheels you’d have to go custom as not many offering boost front qr rear. Bit old tech now too

mm93
    Free Member

Actually looks damn nice that, what are the forks like?

ta11pau1

Actually looks damn nice that, what are the forks like?

Just what I was going to ask, how do they compare to the likes of a RS recon?

NX for £650 is amazing, but then there’s a non tapered steerer tube on the fork (I think?) Which severely limits the upgrade route for the fork.

olly2097
    Free Member

Previous came non tapered fork; Just needs a hope mix and match bottom cup on the frame and can take a tapered fork. Got a nice Reba on mine.

Cracking bike

ta11pau1

Ahh excellent, sod trying to find a boost 29er fork with a non-tapered steerer!!! 😆

Some wider bars, a set of used guide R brakes for £100, dropper post and a used Reba for £250 and you’re probably still under £1000 once you’ve sold the brakes/fork.

thepodge
    Free Member

Various websites will give you reach and stack from the info provided

prawny

The new zobop will be good when the discounts cone round too. 1×11 decent looking geo and stealth dropper ready. Tidy.

chestrockwell

Some wider bars, a set of used guide R brakes for £100, dropper post and a used Reba for £250 and you’re probably still under £1000 once you’ve sold the brakes/fork.

Plenty of great bikes for around a grand that don’t require parts changing and second hand bits. Why bother?

kelron
    Free Member

Require is a strong word. Of course you can get a better specced bike for a grand but at 5-600 it’s very competitive.

Northwind

I wouldn’t be changing the fork or brakes tbh, there’s nothing wrong with them. Certainly wouldn’t spend £100 for used guides, that’s mad, they’re £130 new. I’d just change the bars and front tyre and stick a dropper in it, sorted.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

ta11pau1 – Member 
    Ahh excellent, sod trying to find a boost 29er fork with a non-tapered steerer!!!

Just looked at the fork spec, its tapered according to suntour website, would they really get a custom straight steerer for this bike, or could they be mistaken?

jonnyboi

I road the previous version and found it a very harsh ride, unpleasant even. The suntour fork was very sticky too, so to get any kind of small bump smoothness you had to drop the fork pressures which ended with it blowing through the travel of bigger hits.

Clink

Not ridden the last version, but had an original black one and it definitely wasn’t harsh. I bought frame only though as built as ss with 120mm revs.

jeffl

And comes in 22″ for us tall people. Old one topped out at 20″

perchypanther
    Free Member

In related news, no more Wazoo fat bike. It’s been changed to a 27.5 plus 😥

ta11pau1

Yeah point taken, if you’re happy not changing anything apart from adding a dropper its very good value, more so if you can pick one up on sale (plus BC discount).

cookeaa

Just shame still QR rear, otherwise bloody great.

It’s QR 141, so that’s what, three bikes in the whole world using that standard now? Finding wheels down the line will be great fun…

In related news, no more Wazoo fat bike. It’s been changed to a 27.5 plus

Could it be a common frame with the bizango? Looks similar just one’s painted orange, the other yellow…

Onzadog
    Free Member

A Hope hub could be QR 141 couldn’t it? If a change of end caps turns a QR135 into a 142 bolt through and it uses the same end caps as a boost 148, then putting those same QR caps on would be QR141

Onzadog
    Free Member

Double tap.

olly2097
    Free Member

I bought the yellow one as a second bike. I couldn’t afford to splash a grand so Bizango it was. I’ve since sold the forks (for a lot of money!!!?) and brakes and bought a second hand reverb, 2nd hand Rebas and deore brakes. All in its cost me 740 notes.
    Tomorrow it’s having my old xt 10 speed off my full suss out on it. Yep its a cheap halfords bike but my oh my I love riding it. Just need some better wheels down the line at some point…..

Recommended.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Looks like the new one has lost the adjustable rear dropouts that the older ones have, which were useful for SS conversion without a tensioner.

I converted the Raidon fork on my 2015 (yellow) Bizango to oil rather than grease, and it is vastly improved, like a new fork – It was pretty sticky before, and I almost gave up on it.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

I converted the Raidon fork on my 2015 (yellow) Bizango to oil rather than grease

Hmmm. Where did you get foam rings of a suitable size that didn’t cost an arm and a leg? Any particular oil weight and volume? I sense a job for a winter’s evening…

kelron
    Free Member

I remember seeing a guide somewhere for a DIY revamp of the Raidons but haven’t been able to find it again.

I wonder if it’s the same thing you’ve done, mine are starting to feel sticky.

prawny

There’s an MBR (I think) video on YouTube, it’s aimed at the even cheaper forks but I had a go at mine before a trip to Scotland a couple of years ago and it really did the job.

I also put a bit of PTFE tape round the bolts at the bottom and dropped some reverb fluid in as per the suntour manual. PTFE tape was my addition, first time I tried it, the fluid just dripped out.

Edit Found it – http://www.mbr.co.uk/mountain-bike-videos/workshop/how-to-revamp-your-budget-suntour-fork-video-317009

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve also done the oil conversion.
    Couldn’t find any suitable oil in my local market town at very short notice (forks had completely stuck I needed the bike the next day), so I ended up sticking some multipurpose oil from a DIY shop in there!
    Surprisingly it worked and has lasted 6 months of sporadic riding since then.
    I also got some (I think Reba) foams of ebay for about £3. They were the right internal diameter (32mm) but outer diameter was too big so had to be cut down with some scissors. Also, could have done with being a bit thicker foam as, once cut down, they were very floppy and tricky to get to fit ans stay in place once soaked with oil.

Planning to do another service shortly to convert to proper shock oil. Can anyone recommend what weight of oil to be using?

prawny

I think they recommend 2.5wt from memory, whatever it’s supposed to be, it’s the same as reverb fluid, which is easier to get hold of in reasonably small amounts.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Cheers.
    Can’t go wrong at £3.60 for 120 ml!

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Disclaimer: I only converted my Raidons to oil as an experiment, because otherwise I was going to give up on them. Definite improvement, and 6 months on they are still going well and no noticeable leaks. OK, with that in mind:-

I didn’t add any foam rings or anything, just dismantled, cleaned out the lowers and cleaned up the stanchions, reassembled and then squirted about 20ml of car oil (5w30 semi-synthetic I think?) in through the holes at the bottom of the lowers (while the bike was upside-down obviously), using a (clean) syringe from a brake bleed kit.

Obviously I wouldn’t advise this unprofessional approach on an expensive fork….

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Ok, I just read up on foam rings – so we are talking about the foam seals inside the top of the lowers? If so I re-used the foam seals that were already in there – in bad condition, will definitely replace them next time I service them.

pocpoc
    Free Member

They were already in there?
    There weren’t any in mine and when I emailed suntour they said that was normal as they were greased and not oil so no need for rings but there was a recess if I wanted to add my own

rickonwheels
    Free Member

yep there were in mine! Someone got muddled up on the production line?

cookci
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the new bizango yet?!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Suntour Raidon

Don’t know the Raidon.
    But from people biking the Suntour-Auron and Suntour-Durolux forks: the new versions of these forks (from 2016 model) are fantastic.
    If Suntour delivers similar technology in the Raidon forks: could be a great fork.
    Times where Suntour only delivered low end crappy stuff is definitely over it seems.

Like the Voodoo Bizango as well.
    Wouldn’t be afraid of QR in the back either.
    Most of my bikes still have QR in the back and only recently thru axles in the front.
    Never had problems with QR (but with Shimano XT hubs – but that’s not the problem of QR).
    Mix of OR and thru axle will be only a problem when you try to upgrade later a complete wheel set. Complete wheel sets “in sale” normally won’t be available in such a mix. But no big issue either. Enough shops around which assemble you your wheel set on demand and for little money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘New voodoo bizango’ is closed to new replies.