Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New vehicle time. Please help.
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

Hi guys.
    Please help me choose a vehicle or at least warn me off making a big mistake. As a family of four (plus dog) we want a car that’ll fit the family for a weeks camping with all the giblets and extras. Pulling a caravan would also be a bonus and obviously I want maximum bike benefits.
    The budget is about £2000. Although I could muster more it’d take a while and I’m currently bobbing around in an emergency Suzuki Swift so at 6.2″ I’m feeling a little cramped and very under-carred.
    Reliability first and foremost. My average mileage is reasonably low, around 60 miles a week.

I have my eye on a few different vehicles.
    1, Skoda Octavia estate. I’ve had one of these (SLXi) for the last 10 years and it’s been brilliantly fun and faultless.
    2, Mercedes C class estate. I know nothing about these other than there’s loads of space and comfort and I’d opt for one with a tow bar.
    Or 3, Ford Tranny, Renault Trafic or Vauxhall Vivaro crew cab van.

I prefer the driving position of a van and like the idea of a crew cab. The size of the Trafic is perfect but figure insurance will be higher as well as tax. Does anyone use one as a family runaround? I’ve heard injectors can be problematic but servicing is key. I would also consider upping the budget for something like this.

I love the style of the Merc, the extra space over the Octavia is also a bonus. They also seem pretty reasonably priced, is there a big fault with these, are they thirsty or are all repair bills eye watering?

Any experiences or other suggestions would be fantastic.

Thank you
    Indecisive Mat

superstu
    Free Member

Given this

The budget is about £2000

I’d be simply looking at whichever one of those you’ve narrowed it down to that you can get and which looks well treated.

Last time I looked for a car that would be cheap and reliable I couldn’t find anything for less than £4k/£5k so had to blow my budget. I’m sure they exist.

schmiken

I love my Vivaro crew cab, but it did cost £4500. Wouldn’t go back, and I do use it as my daily driver.

Get a LWB if you can.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

A c class will be smaller than an octavia for people or luggage. It will also be a lot older, and parts more expensive. Whether the niceness of it is worth that is up to you

beefheart
    Free Member

Petrol Mondeo.

angeldust
    Free Member

Asking a lot for £2k. Good chance that anything at that money is going to be crap.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Mondeo with fsh. Solid and cheapish to fix.

Or an old 7/5 series Beemer.

TiRed

Petrol Honda CRV, if you can find one Plenty of space for camping kit and a dog. Petrol engines have been more reliable than the Diesel. Plenty of Mk1’s around, but the Mk2 might be in budget. We’ve had a Mk2 and a Mk3. I actually preferred the space in the Mk2. They’ve normally had a reasonably easy life too.

EDIT: 2K will buy you an SE with 90K miles. Buy one with a full service history and low owners (normally elderly). Great cars.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709139254145?price-from=1500&price-to=2000&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=CR-V&radius=1500&postcode=sl39dt&make=HONDA&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

T1000
    Free Member

Honda Accord 2.0 petrol

Or something unloved like a focus saloon (only bought by pensioners

rmacattack
    Free Member

agree with above, something the masses aren’t keen on so you know its going to be good value and be driven by a pensioner or similar, so the life hasn’t been wrecked out of it.

toyota avensis circa 2006 will fit your criteria , you might get lucky with careful owners

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Thank you all.

Funnily enough someone suggested the CRV to me at work. I’ll have a look

I thought the C class might be a lot bigger but the cost of parts is off putting.

I paid £900 for my Octavia 7 years ago and apart from a new brakes and the usual tyres and service etc it’s been golden. The insurance company just gave me £850 for it so I’m more than happy with that.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d be worried about a car of that age/value having a tow bar and subsequently what it’s had to drag round previously.

dannybgoode

Citroen C5. Way more reliable than rumoured reputation would suggest. Dirt cheap second hand and can fit a planet + moons in the boot.

themilo
    Free Member

If you really can get a CRv for that money then I’d jump at it. Ours is a 2006 ex demo and we’ve had it for 10 years. We can pack the vast majority of the house in it if desired. I’d be slightly worried about petrol mpg mind. It’s a big old box…….

T1000
    Free Member

If you want a SUV petrol xtrail 2.0 2004 or newer

they had a refresh in about 2003 and the older ones are a pain as only Nissan have the special code reader

Inbred456
    Free Member

Toyota Avensis 1.8 vvti estate.
    Mazda 6 1.8 or 2.0 petrol estate.
    Mondeo as above.
    Honda Accord 2.0 petrol estate.
    All very reliable Mazda 6 probably the best of the above but at your price point check the arches on early models.

cheers_drive

pensioner or similar, so the life hasn’t been wrecked out of it.

That’s not good thinking imo, pensioners generally do lots of small journeys and are not kind to gearboxes and clutches.

MrOvershoot

cheers_drive – Member
    That’s not good thinking imo, pensioners generally do lots of small journeys and are not kind to gearboxes and clutches.

Exactly that, you want the newest car you can find with a high mileage on it as it will have spent most of its time on motorways or dual carriage ways not chugging round stopping & starting.

Something 2ltr in petrol estate would be best.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Citroen C5. Way more reliable than rumoured reputation would suggest. Dirt cheap second hand and can fit a planet + moons in the boot.

+1

I bought an older one on here for £1300 with about 60,000 miles on it. I used it for six years adding another 100,000 to that total. Sold it for £400 and the new owner got another couple of years out of it

I replaced it with a Volvo V70 for £2000 and 150,000 miles on the clock, it just tripped over 180,000 this weekend.

Cheap cars if bought with good provenance are well with reach on a limited budget.

nick1962
    Free Member

Honda FRV
    Toyota Avensis Verso

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Lots to be going on with. Tempted by the Hondas. Hadn’t considered them

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You can easily get a good reliable car for £2k, just bought a Toyota Celica T Sport 54 plate for £1600 and it is mint.
    My last car was £800 off ebay, two years later after only spending a few quid on windscreen wipers i expect to get my £800 back, may even make a small profit.
    Why people flagellate themselves with PCPs God only knows.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’ve no interest in a new car. It’d be covered in chain oil, cow muck, dog hair and toddler discharge within moments. Leather interior is good though, wipe clean!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New vehicle time. Please help.’ is closed to new replies.