Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New van advice
  • The-Duke

Looking to get a new van for carrying the bikes around, thinking of either a vauxhall combo 1.3 cdti or the new style ford transit connect 1.6 tdci. Both are brand new but the combo is around £2000 cheaper. Head would say the combo but heart says the transit for style as it’s more car like. I know the combo is basically a rebadged fiat doblo but I’ve also heard some horror stories about the ford 1.6 tdci engine. Has anyone driven either van and got any thoughts?
    Cheers

spooky_b329

Considered resale value? (unless its a keeper)

I would go for the Ford. However, any reason you’re not considering the Doblo?

Actually, I’d go for a swb low roof Transit, perhaps a year old Transit Custom. Much more useful size but still fits in a car park.

The-Duke

Would be planning on keeping the van for long time so want to make sure i get the right one, not considered the doblo as the wife’s just bought a new corsa and the vauxhall dealer’s doing a good deal on the combo.It’s only got to fit 2 bikes and some camping gear so a full size transits probably too big. The transits a nicer colour too.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a 2006 Combo 1.3cdti with 60000 on the click now. Get 55mpg out of it, no real niggles to be fair but if I could have had a tailgate over barn doors I would go with a tailgate….protects you changing in the rain better…..having said that I looked at VW Caddy and Ford Connect. If you can stretch to it my advice would be go for a slightly bigger van if you can afford it IE Transit SWB as you won’t be able to have two bikes in with wheels on and any sort of bedding set up for camping in the Smaller vans. VEL costs are tge same too stepping up to a Transit SWB.
    I can fit two bikes wheels on and a shed load of extra gear in the back of the Combo and I have a steel bulkhead in mine for security. Drives well, honestly can’t give any reason not to have one been really reliable too. I opted for it on costs over the others but I brought seconf hand ex BT Openreach van.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a 2006 Combo 1.3cdti with 60000 on the click now. Get 55mpg out of it, no real niggles to be fair but if I could have had a tailgate over barn doors I would go with a tailgate….protects you changing in the rain better…..having said that I looked at VW Caddy and Ford Connect. If you can stretch to it my advice would be go for a slightly bigger van if you can afford it IE Transit SWB as you won’t be able to have two bikes in with wheels on and any sort of bedding set up for camping in the Smaller vans. VEL costs are tge same too stepping up to a Transit SWB.
    I can fit two bikes wheels on and a shed load of extra gear in the back of the Combo and I have a steel bulkhead in mine for security. Drives well, honestly can’t give any reason not to have one been really reliable too. I opted for it on costs over the others but I brought seconf hand ex BT Openreach van.

spooky_b329

The advantage of the Openreach vans is all the Vivaros and Transits come with twin sliding doors, and they are mobile toolboxes, so not been carrying paint/cement/soil etc like a general builders van.

keng38
    Free Member

I too am looking for similar but I’m after 3 seats.
    My choice always comes back to Citroen Berlingo but VW Caddy also do 3 seats.
    For a 2 seater look at the Nissan NV 200 model perhaps?

tthew

keng38, The Berlingo 3 seater is 2.5 seats at best. Emergency give an extra passenger a lift back from the pub size, I’d imagine the Caddy is the same.

Expert/Dispatch is a little wider in the body, but I’d not want to go far in mine 3 up.

spooky_b329

One you get to Transit size the double seats OK as long as the passenger keeps their knees out of the way of the gearchange!

steveh

Keng how do you get a 3 seat caddy? Only with a seat in the back from a the ones I’ve seen at auctions/bought.

legend
    Free Member

3 seats up front in a Caddy would be horrendous. Can’t see how it would work at all

The-Duke

Just been to see the transit connect at the ford garage, can’t get a test drive until monday but very impressed. Don’t really need anything bigger as have no plans to sleep in it, what’s nice about the transit is it feels very car like compared to the combo.

afkt
    Free Member

I’ve got the transit connect swb low roof for work, top spec, it’s been really good so far, feels like a quality item,toys are actually pretty useable and drives well. The bulkhead is a little odd, the cat flap thing is useless for everything except pipes, the smaller transit courior has a more useful bulkhead IMHO. Sat in the combo, it’s a little smaller in swb mode but just feels cheap, everything flexes, radio was very basic, I’m sure they drive well, but if it’s for you not work I’d go transit connect every time. The lwb high top version looks pretty huge as well but might be better going for a custom at that size.

The-Duke

That was my impression of the combo as well, drives nice enough but feels cheap inside. The transits definitely a nicer place to be, also had a quick look at the smaller courier but I’m not sure if it’s big enough. I’ve just sold a citroen nemo that was just too small for 2 bikes without taking both wheels off so want to make sure the new van is big enough, don’t mind taking the front wheel out though. I’ll try the bike for size when I get a test drive on monday. The connect I looked at today had the 3 front seats with the small bulkhead hatch but I couldn’t see the point expecially as the middle seat was tiny, I’d be getting a 2 seat version anyway.

keng38
    Free Member

Just seen a brand new Berlingo 650 Enterprise for sale at £8975 + VAT.
    Plus full bulkhead at £90, tax etc
    I rekon I can get this down to £8k with a hard push.

How was the connect?

napesneedle
    Free Member

I’ve had many vans in the past! All were just a cheap substitute to getting a VW TRANSPORTER

wolfenstein
    Free Member

napesneedle – Member
    I’ve had many vans in the past! All were just a cheap substitute to getting a VW TRANSPORTER

very true, If I can only turn back time for just a year.. would have get the Transporter or Vito. Berlingo is such a very small van afterall, I always bang my head inside when i’m putting in/taking out the bikes 😡

lunar
    Free Member

There would appear to be a very nice recently posted VW Transporter in the for sale section…….ahem 😳

The-Duke

Finally got round to a test drive of the transit connect yesterday, was so impressed I’ve put down a deposit for a brand new 15 plate van in metallic blue. There was some cracking deals on brand new white and red vans that really temped me but I knew I’d regret not paying the extra for the nice paint. Just have to wait 2 weeks for delivery.
    Lunar i was thinking about your transporter but mrs duke says there’s no way she’s sleeping in a van, good luck with the sale though

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New van advice’ is closed to new replies.