Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • new tyres=magic mary dual compound or trailstar
  • kwack
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a new combo magic mary front and hans dampf rear…seen magic Mary dual compound for 20 ore trailstar etc for 40 basically what’s the difference and is it worth it?

Gonna be mounting them up tubeless

OE are chunky monkey and smorgasboard just as good

Cheers
    Kwack

Northwind

I’ve not used that exact dual compound model but others I’ve used have been a bit plasticky.

I wouldn’t, personally. The Mary’s quite a cool tyre, for proper wet conditions but that’s exactly when I want the stickiest of rubber, when there’s a big wet rock or root in the middle of the swampy trail. The tread’ll still work as it’s all about biting the ground but it’ll not stick as well on anything harder

Candodavid
    Free Member

Using Mary in Trailstar and Dampf in Pacestar currently on my QH, awesome grip on the front from the Mary, holds its line in the mud and grips rock like a stick rubbery tyre thing, was pretty damn good in the dry on Dartmoor too

chip
    Free Member

I have some dual compound performance line muddy Mary’s in the loft.

The performance line part is the budget carcass which is quit heavy.
    But I put a durometer on the tread and I think the center knobs averaged 68a and the outside knobs 60a

It was pretty warm up there and all my 60a maxxis tyres were reading a consistent 58a.
    I am thinking of building up an old frame for when the filth sets in and will give them a try front and back.
    What’s the worst that can happen.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m running a Trailstar Magic Mary on the front of my Rune as an all condition tyre and I can’t really fault it. I think it’s a big improvement over the Hans Dampf that it replaced (I’m running a Rock Razor on the rear for the summer but will be going back to a Hans Dampf soon).

I don’t know much about the dual compound version, but at that price I assume that it’ll be like the nice black chilli Conti tyres i.e not very good.

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies..just got to find some at a reasonable price

warpcow
    Free Member

German tyres from German shops. They’re always cheapest. I’d also not got for the Evo ones. It’s a bit like Conti tyres: never touch anything that doesn’t have Black Chili rubber, expect for Schwalbe it’s the triple-compound stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new tyres=magic mary dual compound or trailstar’ is closed to new replies.