Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • New tyres – fancy a change
  • daveb
    Free Member

I need to change the tyres on my hardtail. I want something about 2.25/2.30 in volume with decent grip but also decent rolling……

I currently run Nobby Nic 2.25 R/F and have also tried High roller 2.35 front / Advantage 2.25 rear but just fancy a change.

Riding will be a mix of trail centre and natural stuff (mainly the Pentlands). I will be running the tyres tubeless on Stans Alpine rims although dont want UST – Tubeless ready or something that will run with latex in it. As I am running them tubeless I would like them to be able to run in most conditions but mainly mud, loose conditions, I dont want a mud specific tyre.

I am guessing a budget of up to about £40 per tyre and dont mind different types os tyres back and front.

Any advice on these greatly appreciated.

I had thought about Maxxis Ardent but just not sure.

uwe-r
    Free Member

No tyre thread is complete without the ubiquitous: “decent grip but also decent rolling” comment.

Well done for getting it in the op.

Conti mountain king II 2.4? Comes up a bit small so fits the bill.

daveb
    Free Member

😀

Del

can’t go wrong with the on-one offerings for the money at the mo IMO.

daveb
    Free Member

I hadnt really thought about the Conti tyres. What about a mountain king II 2.4 up front and the SuperSonic version on the back?

Northwind

Leftfield- Get a Nevegal 2.1 DTC, then attack it with a pair of cutters and remove every second intermediate knob. Standard nevegals are cloggy in mud, cutting them like this opens up the tread and lets them clear better. So you get a pretty light, grippy, good-for-everything tyre. Not the strongest sidewalls but then you’re happy with Nics and they’re made of sausageskin. Won’t be as fast as your Nics but grip better (much better in mud). Little bit smaller but not drastically.

chakaping
    Free Member

Conti mountain king II 2.4?

The 2.2 is more the size he’s after, I reckon.

Not tested them Tubeless yet, but Conti claim they’re tubeless ready.

Get the Protection version both ends as its v light and has the good compound.

Check out Bike Discount or Biek Components.de for good prices on a pair.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Don’t know about a supersonic but I have the black chilli MK upfront with something a lot faster at the back. The MK works great and is the best tyre yet for me. I tried the X King at the back but it was rubbish, I had a non chilli version and it just wouldn’t sit on the rim, went back to the old one in the end and haven’t bothered to change it yet.

wwaswas

Intense System 5.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2.4 ardent?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bonty XR4

mmel
    Free Member

Specialized captain on the back, purgatory on the front, job done!

dday

@mmel: Ground Control on the back, purgatory on the front. Sorted.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Fancy a change? Put summer tyres on. That’ll learn you!

mmel
    Free Member

oooh interesting, not tried a Ground Control, how does it compare to a 2.2 Captain?

dday

Sorry mmel. Got me there, not tried the Captains :oops:. I have these in the shed / on the bike:
    Conti explorers, pinch flats, more then I care to remember. Never again.
    Bontrager, general and various sizes and guises, all very average, designed for American / Californian sand.

Maxis Ardent 2.4s, did Alps and South Downs, great all rounders, but if you even say the words “wet roots” your bike will just fall over by itself.

Bontrager MudX 2.0, fantastic all year round. I keep them on the SS.

I tried the Spesh combo (ground Control & Purgatory)at the start of last year on my new FS. I was pretty impressed. Hammered around CodYb, very good on a tubeless setup, a few rear wheel washouts on hard and fast berms, but I was running pretty low pressure.

On-One Chunky Monkey, took up a cheap pre Christmas deal, just one 2.4 for the front. Really struggled on a longer route that had a lot of roadwork included. It’s sticky with a high rolling resistance. But, truly redeemed itself last night in the snow!

I will be going back to the Purgatory up front soon. The Spesh GC has been very good all year, even in the deep sludge.

Btw, these are all 29er versions.

daveb
    Free Member

Not really sure why but have just never liked the Spesh tyres and dont want the On One tyres.

I am currently thinking about the Conti MK II up front and a Supersonic on the rear, both 2.4. I also fancy the Ardent, but not sure how it is, perhaps the Ardent on the rear (sorry, not sure about the make up of it compared to the MK for rolling/grip).

Intense isnt a tyre I had even considered, what are they like up front?

daveb
    Free Member

Bigyinn – thanks for that, so my Racing Ralph on the back and Rocket ron on the front?

😆

wwaswas

I’ve been very impressed with them – just a good all round tyre for pretty much all conditions.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-intense-system-5-21in-11-37729

mmel
    Free Member

Interesting stuff dday. I’m on old fashioned 26″ wheels and find the Captain and Purgatory combo just right for rocky North Wales riding.

One thing I find is that the Captain works better back-to-front on the rear, giving a bit more traction tackling techy climbs. If the rear does wash out when braking – it’s when I want it to, and always before the Purg on the front.

Gotta say they go up tubeless really easily too

dday

The Panaracers are also pretty good.

stevied
    Free Member

My combo of Maxxis Minion 2.35/ADvantage 2.1 (I think) work really well on most things. Roll pretty well too. They’ve got even better after setting them up tubeless..

zelak999
    Free Member

I tried the Ardent (2.25 I think) slashed a gash on my first ride on Dartmoor, didn’t tear through but looked like it was going to so I took it off. Faster rolling than a high roller and about the same size, but sidewalls made of butter.

gonzy
    Free Member

Maxxis Ignitors seem to go the trick for me. i’ve never tried these myself but Schwalbe Hans Dampf’s seem to be popular…

FuzzyWuzzy

Hans Dampf’s are the answer to every MTB tyre question :p

gonzy
    Free Member

Hans Dampf’s are the answer to every MTB tyre question :p

should have said Hans Dampf!!

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve just worn out a pair of WTB Bronsons 2.3s which I’ve been very impressed with. They go tubeless easily, they roll well and the grip has been good. I’ve been very happy with them. Worth considering. I wore the rear out and have put an old Weirwolf on and that combo works well as it seems to roll slightly faster. I’ve found the Weirwolf to clog in mud in the past but not yet suffered that with it on the back.

Before that I used High rollers which I also liked but they didn’t roll as fast but were a bit more solid. Perhaps weren’t quite as good in the mud. I hated the Nobby Nics they replaced which wore quickly and constantly punctured.

uwe-r
    Free Member

they roll well and the grip has been good

😀

traildog
    Free Member

Ok, let me write a more accurate review.

I like them, you may or may not.

chestrockwell

ir_bandito – Member
    Bonty XR4

Don’t even think about it! Just got some wheels with a new set of these on and although they grip quite well they drag like hell uphill. They’ll be coming off as soon as I’ve got the cash.

Interested in the responses here too as I’m a huge fan of the Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo but had thought about having a change since I need some new tyres.

I’m after light and free rolling with decent grip?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Maxxis minion 2.5 exo up front, ardent 2.25 exo on the rear for me. Good grip and quicker rolling than the nevegals they replaced. The reinforced sidewalls (exo) have worked well in the lakes, several slashes on the side and still going strong. The ardent can get a bit overwhelmed in mud but due to the lakes being mainly rocky it’s not a problem. Recomended.

sherry
    Free Member

Hans Dampf tyres are really good in most surfaces and I would say better than the Minion/High roller they replaced. Trail star and pace star tubeless tyres for 55 quid delivered is a as good if not better a deal than most other tyres. They have a large volume 2.35 profile which may not suit every frame.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I don’t rate the Conti Mountain Kings. They grip pretty well (espcially on wet roots) but they have terrible rolling resistance. Constantly well like I’ve got the brakes on.

daveb
    Free Member

Decided on the Hans dampf tyres, trailstar for the from=nt and Pacestar for the rear. Ordered from Bikediscount.de for quite a bit cheaper than UK based sellers.

stumpy01

Spesh Purgatory on the front, Sauserwind on the back…

Not S-Works versions, but Control.

zelak999
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on with the HDs?
    I’m looking to try them when my High Rollers wear out.

empy
    Free Member

Despite eariler slagging off, i also recommend Bonty XR4 TLR for your purposes. Light and grippy.

saladdodger
    Free Member

mmel – Member

Specialized captain on the back, purgatory on the front, job done!

Worked better than a NN / RR combo and cheaper

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Whenever I ask myself “what tire for” I think:

Hans Damf?

If the answer is no then

High Roller

If the answer is no then

Hans Damf.

RustySpanner

XR4’s are the answer.
    To pretty much everything.

mmel – Member

One thing I find is that the Captain works better back-to-front on the rear, giving a bit more traction tackling techy climbs.

Hmmn, bit ‘mainstream’ isn’t it? 😉
    I run my rear inside out.
    It workes a lot better on hexagonal edged hits. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘New tyres – fancy a change’ is closed to new replies.