Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New tyre is trying to kill me!
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Some will know that I’m based out in Tenerife where things happen shall we say at a slower pace. So finding myself riding a 650b bike has left me with some dilemmas.

One came about when the Tenerife lava rocks had their usual impact on the trailstar compound Hans Dampf’s that I’d been using in the UK in the summer. So a trip to the bike shop revealed one tyre choice…….A Vredestein “Black Panther Extreme” So if that’s what we have I guess that’s what we’ll ride!

What can I say, they must have taken the name for the tyre from the 1970’s killer Donald Neilsen AKA The Black Panther. This tyre took every opportunity it could to try and do bad things to me on the trails, it was even worse than the rather mangled and flexi treaded Hans Dampf that was now adorning the bin area.

So, if you ever ask “What tyre for Tenerife” I can guarantee it’s NOT the Vredestine Black Panther Extreme!

😀

neilthewheel

What is the nature of its crapness?

scaled
    Free Member

Just read a review that loved it.

Minimum 35PSI though? what the ****?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Apparently, 60% of the time it works, all of the time.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pacestar HD. You’ll only notice the difference in the wet, and I doubt you see much of that.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Would avoid Shwalbes at all costs, I’ve seen what lava dust does to tyres, no issues with Maxxis though. An aggressive rider will be lucky to get a full days riding out of a Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic.

Tenerife is pretty unique, the fact that a tyre works well here has no bearing on how well it will work there, would run whatever the locals are using, probably Maxxis.

Potdog
    Free Member

What is the nature of its crapness?

It appears that it is made of 500a rubber compound and hence has the stickyness of a wet fish on slimy rocks. The tread pattern is also shall we say “slight” in nature so doesn’t exactly offer any bite. It worked OK on tarmac though!

It has now been relegated to the garage floor and a Mavic Cross Roc fitted which is a quantum leap forward from the Black Panther, but it’s still not a Maxxis.

I learned my lesson on Nobby Nic’s over here a few years back although a Big Betty did once survive a good few weeks of hard use. Fancy compounds and lava rock simply don’t mix. The possible exception being Maxxis Super Tacky which seems to be able to provide grip without tearing itself to pieces.

To be fair to the Hans Dampf, the basic version lasts quite well, the trailstar is the one to avoid here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New tyre is trying to kill me!’ is closed to new replies.