Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New TV time
  • jonnyrockymountain

Do I splash the cash and go 4K, not got sky/virgin, just freeview, probably watch more dvd’s than normal tv, obviously get a smart one, but do I need 4k or will this link below be ok?
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-viera-tx-49ds500b-smart-49-led-tv-10144233-pdt.html

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Had the same dilemma recently. Also mostly watching free view, freesat etc.

Having asked a good few techie’s the consensus was not to go 4k. Apparently unless you really spend a fortune HD content will look better on a dedicated HD TV than “upscaled” on a 4K. I’m told it’s to do with the processors involved. Cheaper 4k TVs tend to struggle when upscaling causing lag etc. So, as I’m unlikely to be watching any native 4k sources I stuck with HD.

Cougar

will this link below be ok?

Yes.

jonnyrockymountain

Any more comments?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John Lewis.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Def. John Lewis – better warranty and treat their staff better.

Not 4K, if you are sticking with Freeview then look for reviews of how well the upscaling works.

Also look for set reviews where they have calibrated the set for the review and published the settings. It can make a huge difference – my decent Sony W9 looks awful with standard settings but extremely good when adjusted.

Panasonic is a good bet but sometimes they are less flexible with picture settings (grey scale, etc) than others.

Rockape63
    Free Member
    jonnyrockymountain
    cranberry
    Free Member
    Cougar

Or this ones as its smart?

“Smart” functionality is usually mince, you’re better off with an external box of some form.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I forgot to say “Not LG”…

Also think Samsungs are pants at upscaling, so I wouldn’t personally bother with one.

And I am also suspect of Samsung reliability.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Looks like a good set but only two HDMI, seems a bit light these days

Cougar

You only need one to plug in your AV amp. (-:

blader1611
    Free Member

Sainsburys in leeds had a Blaupunkt 40″ lcd with plenty of connections for just £170,looked a good picture and that price is just crazy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New TV time’ is closed to new replies.