• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New TV / sound bar advice please. (audiophiles input required)
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I really don’t have a clue about this stuff…

We’ve settled on a new TV:

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-49uj630v.html

That has 20 watts of audio via 2.0 channels.

I think i need / want a sound bar in order to improve the sound and give me a deep cinematic experience….

Will these two actually give a noticeable improvement?

32w x 3 + 55w = 150w / 3.1 channel =
    https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTL2183B_05/soundbar-speaker/specifications
    @ £120

or

2 x 25w + 70w = 120w / 2.1 channel =
    http://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainment/lg-LAS355B
    @ £90

or better off with just the TVs 20w / 2 channel

Ta

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m not in any way an expert, but I got a ~£150 sound bar free with my TV, and its FAR superior to the TV sound. Any visitors that have been round for a movie have also commented they were impressed with it.

qwerty
    Free Member

I like the idea of free….

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve had a couple of soundbars, one inc. blu-ray so although cost £350 was probably the sound quality of a £150 normal soundbar. It was very noticeable and generally an improvement however I found the bass to be intrusive and there was no way of controlling it (for example in scenes with background traffic you could barely hear the dialogue as the background rumbling overwhelmed it).
    I swapped it for a £700 soundbar as I had the cash available at the time, I don’t regret it but I probably should have tried some cheaper models.

So would a £150 soundbar make a noticeable difference, yes but I would definitely only buy one at that price with either no dedicated sub-woofer or one where you can control it.

On the flip-side, you do sort of get used to cheap built-in sound, my parents don’t have a soundbar and the TV always sounds horribly tinny the first couple of hours when I visit but I soon get used to it and don’t really notice it much (same with the ridiculous colour balance they prefer, apparently it looks better to them if people are bright orange…).

In your case if you can’t try the soundbars in the shop (and compare with a similar TV built-in sound) then I would order the TV, see how it sounded to you and then if it seemed tinny enough to be annoying then order one of the others on-line so you can return it if it doesn’t make enough of a difference for the cost (in your opinion).

qwerty
    Free Member

Hmmm, the Philips one has treble& bass control so should be able to balance it out ok. I’m wondering if its spread of 32w x 3 + 55w will give a better all round sound than the LGs 2 x 25w + 70w which may well be too bass rich.

rossburton
    Free Member

For a modern TV a bit of string and a can is an improvement. TVs are very thin, so no room for the speakers…

Oh and you should review that TV in a few weeks because that’s on my shortlist too. Mostly because I actually trust LG to make a non-terrible TV interface (and the software is built using my day job).

IHN

Physics basically dictates that you can’t get decent sound from flat screen tellies, cos you can’t fit a big enough speaker and/or resonance chamber in them.

I’ve got what is probably the previous model of the Phillips. It’s vastly better than the sound from the telly. Also sounds decent for music cast via Bluetooth or the Chromecast Audio plugged in the Aux socket.

It’s weird, you think the sounds from the telly is fine, then you plug the soundbar in and think “aaaaaaaah, THAT’s what it’s supposed to sound like”
    It’s probably not audiophile quality, but I don’t care.

johndoh
    Free Member

TVs are very thin, so no room for the speakers…

Unless it’s a new Sony

qwerty
    Free Member

johndoh – unless i rob a bank i don’t think that’s gonna be an option.

…thinks of starting a riot outside Cirens Sony shop….

Whatcha up to later IHN ?

funkmasterp

Rethink the bank robbery and then purchase the Bluesound bar. Let me know how sweet it sounds?

Very expensive

Or just rob a shop and get the Sonos

Still expensive

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What do you use to listen to music?

qwerty
    Free Member

Currently a 17 year old Denon UD-M31 with Mission speakers, Spotify streamed via my mobile. Why?

IHN

Whatcha up to later IHN ?

*tools up*

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New TV / sound bar advice please. (audiophiles input required)’ is closed to new replies.