Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New TV – advice please
  • Aus
    Free Member

Need to get a new TV – I think the requirements are:

– 32-42″
    – able to watch BBC iplayer/4OD etc
    – USB ready
    – we have a Human Freesat recorder thing
    – not 3D, nor top end screen resolution stuff
    – good sound quality (or + a sound bar)

Any good recess or advice please … last TV I bought was a CRT one and a bit memorised with the choice now!

Thanks

Rockape63
    Free Member

What is your budget?

scotroutes

Is this for a childs bedroom?

Drac

Is the child over 5, does your brother have twins?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You should have bought it on Black Friday 😉

fasthaggis

Is this for a childs bedroom?

🙂

Aus
    Free Member

OK, budget ideally less than £500. For the lounge, predominately for Mrs Aus/kids to watch. iPlayer, ITV player and 4OD would be really good, USB for kids to watch their stuff.

Drac

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40h6410-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-hd-white/p1363775

I have the version a few above that and it’s a brilliant TV.

I know you said no 3D but it came in within the budget.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve heard there’s some Blaupunkts available on ebay 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not sure you can watch 4OD on a big telly – only pads and computers I think. I cannot airplay it via Apple TV from my iPad – it comes up with a message telling me you cannot broadcast 4OD on a TV. I’ve a Samsung and 2 Panasonic SMART TV’s in the house, both have iPlayer but neither has 4OD.

My standard answer is get a Panasonic at whatever your budget, its my preferred brand. I’ve had a few now and they have always been great. I deviated with a Samsung TV for my bedroom (not the kids!) due to its thinness and i’m not that impressed with it. Its fine for a secondary bedroom TV, but nowhere near as good as the similarly priced same sized (32″) Panasonic TV I got for the in-laws.

Drac

I’m not sure you can watch 4OD on a big telly –

Yup you can.

Milkie
    Free Member

There is a 4OD app for Samsung TV’s. 😉

I would go for a Samsung, but I’d also wait for January sales.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Panasonic, got 4OD.

Rockape63
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Panasonic, got 4OD.

My Panasonic ‘SMART’ TV doesnt 😡

I wouldnt buy a TV based on the strength of how Smart TV it is. There are other ways to get better Smart functions ie by using Apple TV/Chromecast etc

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My brand new Panasonic TV doesn’t have 4OD on it – though it is a 2013 model got on discount.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I got the 32 inch version of this 2 months ago and I’m going to get the bigger version for the living room. Very impressed and includes all the features you want.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv—all/samsung/ue40h5500/sams-ue40h5500

Drac

I wouldnt buy a TV based on the strength of how Smart TV it is. There are other ways to get better Smart functions ie by using Apple TV/Chromecast etc

I prefer the On Demand from my TV than my Apple TV.

NZCol

Ive got a 42 and 32 Samsung one as above and very good they are too. I need another 5 for the bedrooms though, and a curved one for the 2 years olds room specifically.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I wouldnt buy a TV based on the strength of how Smart TV it is.

+1 Even the cheapest blu-ray players will deliver all the SMART TV you could ever want. Any Blu-ray player from Sony/Samsung for under £100 will achieve this aim. We have a Sony Blu-ray player and it’s pretty well loaded with SMART apps.

Sound quality on most flat screen TV’s is pretty rubbish, so you will probably need a sound bar too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New TV – advice please’ is closed to new replies.