Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 334 total)
  • New Trek Stache 29+
  • Stedlocks
    Free Member

Ah……any pictures? Does it look like a mud tyre? I was thinking of putting a pair of 2.4 conti whatever’s on….they have decent volume and should still perform of the gloop….

Stedlocks
    Free Member

2.4 conti mountain kings gone on…..hopefully, they will try to kill me less than the chupacabras!

There is loads of clearance though……!

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’m just posting this as there isn’t much info about when I was searching!
    I’ve just had my first ride on the 2.4 conti mountain kings and they are excellent! :0)

I actually had confidence when cornering for the first time in a year.

That is all.

Oh, and they don’t clag up and push clay into your chain…….

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PrBmv4]Double Chubby![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Rode my 27.5+ and my mate David’s 29+ back to back today on the same trail. It was good to get back on the 29+ – totally different ride, vey floaty, very damped, amazing grip even compared to the 27.5+, harder to start a turn but once it’s in there I’m sure you could take your hands off! Doesn’t climb as well and is definitely less ‘poppy’. More small fat bike whereas 27.5+ is more monster hardtail if that makes sense.

Liked them both and will try 29+ again next year as I kept forks/wheels.

Oh it was a lovely day for a ride as well. Ugly mudguard not required!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Pp1tqj]Autumn..[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

NormalMan

Thought this video might fit in this thread:

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone ridded a carbon Stache yet and can write it up? In particular compared to an ali Stache. ta.

papercutout
    Free Member

It’d be interesting compared because they’ve revised the geometry slightly, right?

Has anyone got a 18.5 or 19.5 frame they’d like to swap for a 17.5?
    It’s just a little small for me, but would happily do a straight swap. It’s the minty green Stache 5 frame in good condition, couple of little chips, but very good really. Prettiest colour too! I’d happily do all the work stripping and rebuilding both bikes.
    Bit of a long shot, but don’t ask, don’t get!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I bought myself this last month and today was the first day I have been well enough to ride it. It is much quicker off the mark than I expected, I thought it’d really trundle along until it got up to speed but it doesn’t.

It’s very competent at rocky technical stuff, much more so than my 27.5 130mm Transition Trans Am. It’s also very bouncy, both in terms of jumping over stuff but also when you are pedalling at its resonant frequency on the road.

Tweaked mine a bit, it now has Magnum forks, a dropper, XT 1×10 and 785mm bars and a 40mm stem so it suits my riding better.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks good Luke. Been running mine since about August, other bike isn’t getting much use.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If I’m honest Stu it’s surprised me. It’s so much more capable than I thought. I can’t see the Trans Am getting much use anymore.

andyg1966

Bought this in the Black Friday Sales 20% off. Just taken delivery. First ride will be Saturday.

Have set up tubeless, the factory tubes are 400g (0.9lb) each!!

Will report later. Have got a 2013 Stache so curious to see (hopefully) improvement.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Nice Andy…. Glad to see trek keeping the stache going. As I have posted before, my 5 is now my only bike having sold the 29er and the full squish as I was just not using them.

I think the 2017 has 120mm travel forks up front as stock as opposed to 110 on the 2016. Be interested to hear how you get on with it!

I fitted some magnum pro forks to my 5 to give the front end some squish. The undamaped 3″ rubber had the tendency to throw me off line during very fast runs down my favorite trails. The magnums have transformed the ride and now the bike is much more capable. I did however find the front end far too high with forks set to 120 so dropped to 100mm and I prefer it.

Keeping rigid fork for the summer and will flip back again at some point.

Brakes are now xt’s which do a better job than the stock basic shimanos.

Also the stock chapapapapcurcaracatsaaaaaa rubber up front was not great. I like to throw the front end into stuff and in anything but very dry conditions, the tyre would slip away. Stuck on a vee bulldozer which is awesome! Sticks to the ground like glue. The chapucra is fine at the back though but does slip on wet roots!

Dropper is necessity on a bike like this!

Also running a 34 tooth ring as I found the 32 a little too spinny.

Like munro, now running 40mm stem (80 stock far too long) and a set of 760mm wide bars.

Plus my ergon grips which are awesome.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Looking good

Why the suss fork for winter though, would have thought it better other way round?

papercutout
    Free Member

Because a sus fork is fun!

How’re you getting on with a 34t front ring? Trek says 32t tops, and I’ve got a 30t oval on mine (changing to 32t soon), and clearance is TIGHT when at the top of the oval, I just can’t see the chain clearing with a 34t!

As said before, mine’s got 130mm forks on, but is also 650b+, I’ve got really used to it, I’m happy with the front end height now, although maybe I could drop the bars 1 more spacer. I just wish the top tube was longer, my 17.5″ frame just isn’t reachy enough.

Gee76
    Free Member

Just built a black 2017 frame up for my wife which has come out great and must say I’m really drawn to the carbon 9.6 for stealth looks and versatility.

It’d be good to see a comparison of the Carbon to the Ally version. I may yet sneak a wee ride or two on the wifes yet as a benchmark.

It’s a tad small for me but with the curved seat tube giving and exaggerated seat angle and lengthening reach at full post height I should fit ok ish….for a trial or two anyway… just don’t tell her… shhh!

Where did you get 20% off Andy if you don’t mind sharing?

papercutout
    Free Member

Is anyone interested in a 2016 Trek Stache 5 (the minty green colour) with a good BB and headset fitted, I’ll be selling the frame only soon. In size 17.5. It’s brilliant fun, I really love it, but it’s slightly too small for me.

rone

Anyone know what BB the Stache 5 is running? It’s a press fit of some sort.

andyg1966

From the Trek Website

Bottom bracket – PF92

Which is for a shimano hollowtech 2 crankset and pressfit BB. The BB has hard plastic body and easily presses into an Aluminium frame.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Or could go for the Hope PF41/46

Fit and forget?

rone

Thanks guys – this is where I get confused – how is it both a PF92 and a PF41/46.

With my PF30 – it’s just that.

Daffy

this is where I get confused – how is it both a PF92 and a PF41/46.

The first refers to the total axle width, and is identical to a BSA 68/73mm shell with a hollowtech external BB. PF30 (stupidly) refers to the diameter of the axle which is passing through it, but also corresponds to a certain axle width…I suppose it helps distinguish it. PF41/46 are (confusing) model designations from Hope which seem to have very little relevance to anything measurable.

Daffy

mattjg – Member
    Anyone ridded a carbon Stache yet and can write it up? In particular compared to an ali Stache

There’s a review of the new Carbon Stache (9.8?) in this months ST Mag.

rone

The first refers to the total axle width, and is identical to a BSA 68/73mm shell with a hollowtech external BB. PF30 (stupidly) refers to the diameter of the axle which is passing through it, but also corresponds to a certain axle width…I suppose it helps distinguish it. PF41/46 are (confusing) model designations from Hope which seem to have very little relevance to anything measurable.

Nicely done. Thank-you.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Such a giggle to ride.

andyg1966

A Review of my carbon Stache 9.8 29+

My previous bike was / is an original Stache 8 (the green one), aluminium 29er, upgraded with Pike forks. I was looking at a frame only option to ‘upgrade’ that bike but a 20% black Friday sale from Absolute Bikes got me the Stache pictured earlier for £2750 collected on Christmas eve.

Annoyingly the carbon bikes are 19.5 or 17.5 with no intermediate size. I’m 5’11 and measured key dimensions from my existing 19” Stache which fits well and settled on a 19.5 (which is 18.5 actual). An 18.5 would probably have been perfect.

My first rides where simply XC event rides and didn’t trouble the bike at all, first ride at 20psi (since I was concerned about bashing the carbon rims) and the bike was bouncing around a bit. Second ride at 18psi and now at 15psi. Incidentally the supplied tubes are 900g each, now tubeless. The rims are pretaped, just needed valves. The tyres hold air without Stans.

After the first 2 rides, I felt the stem at 50mm was a fraction long and invested in a Hope 35mm long stem which has made the riding position spot on.

First ride with the shorter stem was around a slightly slippy QE park and I ended up yelling at myself in sheer joy. Despite large wheel circumference the bike took the tight uphill corners superbly and going downhill on the damp chalk showed very good grip. Uphill traction is good too. I think a psi or 2 lower might be better as well.

No problems with any of the componentry and the cable Bontrager dropper is smooth time will tell if its reliable. Not sure if a copy of another post or their own design.

Being a Shimano Brake person, I’m not totally convinced by the Guide RS brakes, they are hard to set up without rub, feel is good but power on 180 discs merely average. I am determined to give them a good time to grow on me since they are well reviewed.

The rear tyres has punctured twice, last Sunday requiring a “sticky strip” kit repair in the main tread area so while the tyres are decently light, they may be too fragile for rugged trail use.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve a medium (17.5) ’16 Stache 7 (the purple one, like this http://archive.trekbikes.com/uk/en/2016/Trek/stache_7#/uk/en/2016/Trek/stache_7/details) that I’m thinking of selling but haven’t got round to advertising yet, if anyone’s interested please get in touch and I can get on with it. A dropper is installed and included (stock is with a rigid post). Couple of other mods than can be included or it can be returned to stock. Setup is tubeless. Location Dorking, would be a PITA to ship. Inspection/tryout welcome.

It’s a great bike but luckily I already have 2 other great bikes and the Stache sits in the middle. If I had to go down to one ( 😮 ) it would be the keeper.

rone

Nice review Andyg.

iain65
    Free Member

AndyG – I finally cracked the other week and bought n+1 in the shape of a Stache 9.8 (21.5”), I’ve been using 2.6 Nobby Nics on it that are a good weight and probably a bit more puncture proof that the standard tyres – I put these on for the Cotswold mud I ride in and they grip brilliantly.
    I am looking forward to getting the standard tyres on when it dries up though.
    Iain.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can I share my stache copy? 🙂

I’ve not tried it with 29+ wheels yet (shown with b+ ones) so I’m interested in this thread. I find the b+ wheels great so wondering how much more benefit over that the 29+ wheels would give. Will need to find someone with some that I can borrow for a ride 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

Does anyone with a stache live in or near Leicester. Really want to have a look at one but nowhere local has them.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Just de-winterised my rigid stache 5, and have forgotten how much of a hoot it is! I’m back popping wheelies and launching off of stuff….

That is all!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It does want to manual! And you find yourself looking for kickers all the time.

Mine is a complete hooligan.

bonesetter
    Free Member

After seeing this earlier shuffled mine out for a ride

It’s not for everyone

FOR SALE:

Trek Stache 5. As new. Extras

bonesetter
    Free Member

toppers3933
    Free Member

Size?

funkmasterp

Should be joining the stache club later today courtesy of one of Ton’s workmates. Stache 7 – can’t wait to take it out this weekend. Has anybody settled on a good tyre combo yet? I’ll mainly be riding around the peaks, Macc Forest and Marple areas. 🙂

Can you run 27+ with the stock Manitou fork? I’m keen on experimenting with wheel size.

iamtheresurrection

@Chunky

Which Lefty is that? Did you have to offset the dish to get enough clearance?

Cheers

Craig

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

No dish required. It’s a SuperMax so has huge clearance

andyg1966

Well I’ve changed the Chupacabra tyres to Maxxis Chronicle EXO versions. I ride on the Southdowns mainly and I’ve had 3 punctures in the rear tyre, 2 requiring patches on the inside of the tyre.

I think the design of the tyre with widely spaced small knobs doesn’t work on the flinty Southdowns. Will report back on the Chronicle.

Meanwhile if anyone wants an undamaged front and repaired rear Chupacabra for a few ££ let me know.

munrobiker
    Free Member

andyg1966- how much would you be after?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘New Trek Stache 29+’ is closed to new replies.