Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • New transport secretary = idiot
  • mick_r

Kieran – your ex girlfriend obvisously didn't have the tools to change the wheel if she couldn't get the nuts undone herself. Hardly the fault of the wombles.

I know my mrs would be in the same situation using the std kit in the car – so she has an extending wheel brace to give enough leverage to get the job done without relying on others. I think they cost a whole £4 and are available at lots of places on the high street – Wilkinsons, Tesco, Argos etc.

Anyway – back on topic-ish…

I work in auto r&d and it is true that huge amounts are spent chasing tiny efficiency improvements (especially if it is legislation driven and they have no choice but to comply if they want to keep on selling).

How about I suggest a single cheap improvement that would cut fuel use by maybe +10% overnight, remove all speed cameras, improve road safety and free up traffic cops to concentrate on bad driving? Furthermore the technology is already fitted to lots of new cars so no great introduction cost.

Interested?

Simple – automatic speed limiting appropriate to where you are driving using sat nav / mobile phone network and the existing CAN system controlling your drivetrain. Everyone bats on about weight but it is wind resistance that goes up with the square of speed (so 80mph uses waaaay more fuel than 70mph but the extra 10mph rarely gets you to the final destination much quicker unless the roads are empty – and even then what critically important thing did you do with the few minutes saved during the journey).

Still interested or is this a vicious attack on your civil liberties?(although the only thing you loose is the right to break the law as / when you see fit)

kimbers

im 100% behind mick_r on his suggestion

it would be worth it just to see clarcksons head explode in a scanners stylee

but the chances of it ever happening are about as likely as scotland winning the world cup

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not a more efficient car that is like a current one we need – its a car built to use less energy. It will not be able to be like current cars at all.

It needs to be much lighter, slower and less toys. 25 bhp not 100+. No fancy dodahs that increase weight. It is impossible to get the major improvements to energy usage from modifying conventional cars – its needs a whole new paradigm

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘New transport secretary = idiot’ is closed to new replies.