Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New transponder key for "blocked" vehicle?
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve been given the run-around by a few shops and suspect that people here will prove to be more reliable!

My vivaro came with a single key, I’d like a 2nd for obvious reasons. However it seems that the usual process of making a spare is “blocked” in some way, the suggestion is that the van was lease or hire or something (which wouldn’t be surprising, it was used commercially). Is there a way round this? It can’t be that rare an issue surely. I’ve spoken to (and visited) several different Timpsons and they’ve all said something different. I first tried Harrogate and they told me to go to Skipton, Skipton told me it could only be done by someone plugging a computer into the ECU which they didn’t have but Keighley definitely did, but when I phoned Keighley they said no it’s impossible (though the specific person who deals with that stuff was not in, so the phonee might have been mistaken).

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you tried speaking to Harrogate Auto Electrics? You’ll get more informed advice from them.

ads678

Or speak to Vauxhall. Yes they’ll want to charge you a fortune but if they say ” yes sir that’ll cost you £450″ at least you know its possible.

andybrad

take it to the main stealers.

kormoran
    Free Member

+1 speak to vauxhall. Did this on my astra, new key £45

bigyinn
    Free Member

My suggestion would be to speak to a good indie garage (not necessarily Vauxhall) and ask them who they use for programming keys etc.
    I had cause to require a new key for our Scenic, Renault wanted around £180 for 1 new key programmed.
    A bit of asking around led me to a local guy who recommended an e-bay seller for the blank keys and he would then programme the keys. Total cost £110 for TWO keys.
    Avoid going to a dealer if you can help it.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Something similar on my MX5 when I lost the key.

Basically, you can’t just add 1 more key – meant to stop a dodgy garage or someone cloning your key then coming round to nick it later.
    You need to code all the keys you want at the same time and this un-synchronises the current keys

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not necessarily. It depends very much on the maker I suspect.
    Our original Scenic key works as well as the two new replacements, the ECU can recognise / store 4 different keys.

k-sugden
    Free Member

try auto locksmiths 01274 305621

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New transponder key for "blocked" vehicle?’ is closed to new replies.