• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by wors.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New transmission after 8 months, good or bad?
  • ton

today I have replaced my middle ring (cheers wors) chain, cassette and rear mech.
    it was all deore stuff, and has been used every day since August last year. on my only bike.

is this good or bad. should it all last a bit longer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you ride it through mud?
    Did you check the chain frequently?

scotroutes

Given how much you are using the bike, and if you’ve not been changing chains, I reckon that’s about right. However I’ve never, ever, replaced a rear mech.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jeffl

I’ve just had to change my chain, rear cassette and jockey wheels. Been commuting and riding in the mud three days a week. It was all new in august last year so yours sounds about right, apart from the rear mech?

ton

to be honest, rear mech would have been ok, but a new one from crc was only a bit dearer than new jockey wheels.

scotroutes

OK, I’ll be clearer, I’ve never, ever, replaced jockey wheels. 😆

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound too bad Ton if you are doing a fair few miles everyday in all weathers.

My jockey wheels on mtb are about dead. They are now really spikey. After a bit more use the spikes will fall off and they’ll look like new again, just a bit smaller :-). I’ve never replaced any jockey wheels 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

The 53T chainring on my road bike.

I guess it depends partly how picky you are regarding wear, I’m not.

brakes
    Free Member

aren’t you scared of the chain slipping and ending up chewing on your stem?

mrmo
    Free Member

aren’t you scared of the chain slipping and ending up chewing on your stem?

hasn’t slipped under power yet, had a few miss shifts changing between rings, but a new drivetrain is on the cards when the weather gets better. Can’t complain really, must be over 35,000miles on that ring.

daver27
    Free Member

given the weather we’ve had this winter, i’m surprised it lasted that long!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d say that’s good going, considering the wet winter we’ve had and with daily use. Not bad at all really.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

8 Months? Time has bugger all to do with it. It’s all about miles… I’ve got one bike I’ve not ridden for two years, so I expect the drivetrain to last a while yet…… 🙂

wors

Aye no problem pal 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New transmission after 8 months, good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.