Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New Trance, Fox Float Evolve Pedal strike question
  • threerock44
    Free Member

Just had the second outing on my 2017 Giant Trance 1. Replaces my 2008 Fuel Ex8 26 inch. Mostly happy but a few issues. Getting much more pedal strike on rocky climbs than the Trek. I originally set the suspension to around 175 psi (13 stone weight). I’ve cycled the shock with every increase to get the chambers to equalise. When I increased the psi to 200, seems to eventually end up back at around 160 when I check with the pump later. The bike climbs fantastically on steep smooth terrain, but the grounding is annoying me on the narrow rocky trails (in Shipley, West Yorkshire so they are what we have). I’m a competent though currently overweight/unfit rider and enjoy (well enjoy after the event!) technical climbs. Any comments, tips welcome.

warpcow
    Free Member

What’s the sag? Is there a difference in BB height between the two bikes? Pedal strikes are likely to be more to do with it just being a different bike or poorly set up shock than the shock being borked (though it could be that too).

scaredypants

I’ve a previous generation trance-x. Used to get lots of pedal strike on that too. I think they’re just lower than many older bikes, as are most newer frames. I put 165 cranks on mine but not really sure I needed to – you learn to accommodate the lower BB

(oh, and when you reattach the shock pump it reads lower as some of the air has to enter the hose & pump chamer to equalise pressures)

threerock44
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks. Learning curve time….

dougiedogg
    Free Member

I had mine set up at the correct PSI FOR my 13 1/2 stone. Destroyed a set of the nukeproof pedals, now have it set at 200psi and it seems fine now. I think you are right, they do leak though, that or they have such small volume that removing the shock pump has an influence.

iainc

My 2017 Anthem gets loads more pedal strikes than my old Soul. Just a modern geometry think I guess. Long and low…

Remember that a high pressure shock, if set at say 200, will, once you remove and reconnect the pump, probably read at least 15-20psi less, as air goes from the shock into the pump hose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New Trance, Fox Float Evolve Pedal strike question’ is closed to new replies.