• This topic has 48 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • New trains
  • project
    Free Member

And where are these Deltics we just can just chuck on a load of spare mk3 coaches? Bear in mind they’ll have to be loco-hauled mk3s, which are different to HST ones. Are the Deltics designed to run in multiple? Why would you bother? I really am struggling with how that would bring any advantage whatsoever. Even if you did have the spare stock.

To be fair, Wrexham & Shropshire have been top and tailing with 67s on occasion on one set, but they’re not high speed locos, it’s not a remotely viable solution.
    you create a new rake of passenger locos, and dedicated stock and run them anywhere just like br did, not like the new longer 800 series which will be limited to certain routes due to lenghth of coaches.

Hate to tell you , Wrexham and Shropshire was culled a few years ago, jan 2011 and no longe rexists as a company
    class 67 where and stil are capapble of 125 mph speeds witrh suitable stock eg mk 3 coaches.

igm

project – Member

hst 124 mak 3 coach, 225 mark 4 coach, different suspension.

I didn’t know about the mk3/mk4 but the difference in suspension is very noticeable just south of Doncaster where I have nearly lost my lunch travelling in HSTs a few times.

kelvin

Hybrids sound like a great solution!
    No more using promises to electrify lines in the future to prevent old rolling stock being replaced ASAP.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Hate to tell you , Wrexham and Shropshire was culled a few years ago, jan 2011 and no longe rexists as a company
    class 67 where and stil are capapble of 125 mph speeds witrh suitable stock eg mk 3 coaches.

Indeed, wrong tense, they were top and tailing a set, apologies.

you create a new rake of passenger locos, and dedicated stock and run them anywhere just like br did, not like the new longer 800 series which will be limited to certain routes due to lenghth of coaches.

They didn’t really. Stuff was still allocated to certain routes. Even mk3 coaches were allocated to the WCML, or the ECML, or the GWML, and they didn’t run at all on the South Eastern/South Central, nor the SWML except as 442 EMUs. Likewise locos were still allocated to certain routes. Trains didn’t simply roam the country as you’re implying.

Do you build your hypothetical new locos as diesels, or electrics? If the former then what do you do with all the OHLE? If the latter what do you run on the non-electrified bits. If you build them as diesel electrics then how is that really any different to what they’re currently doing?

If you’re allocating stock to a route that is gauge cleared for bigger stock, why limit it just in case you fancy redistributing it to another completely different part of the country?

It really does make no sense.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Looks good to me…

njee20
    Free Member

Haha!

I thought someone was gonna dig something like this one out from the engineering works last year:

56s on hybrid rakes of mk2s and 3s would be far more interesting though!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t really see a problem with the existing set up of fixed car sets for intercity travel. There are back ups anyway. More flexibility for commuter trains would be the ideal- ironically, the best commuter train journey I had recently was an Edinburgh Fringe extra train- old stock hauled by a 47 with a luggage car for bikes. Lots of bikes! It worked great, much more spacious than being crammed into a Turbostar. But empty seats don’t make money.

Because the railways should be about making money. Ahem.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s virtually all 4-car EMUs down here, so quite a bit of versatility on commuter sets. Plenty of services that leave London as a 12-car, then split mid way. Works well enough.

I see no real issue with fixed rakes either, particularly on longer distances. The reality is that even with loco hauled stock you can’t just ‘chuck another couple of coaches on the back’ if it’s a busy service after all.

lunge

I travel on Chiltern at lot and they run class 67’s at one end, 7 mark 3 carriages and a DVT at the other end. They’re fast, roomy, comfortable and make a nice noise when they set off. The 67’s are being replaced with some brand spanking new 68’s.

I actually think Chiltern do a lot right, their punctuality is good, the trains themselves are good and they even dealt with the landslip between Banbury and Leamington very well. The show of sh… that is Cross Country are a different altogether, seem unable to run a train on time and even when they do there is no space in the Voyagers which seem to be a reverse tardis (huge on the outside, tiny inside).

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘New trains’ is closed to new replies.