Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New trails in S wales. Afan ot Cwm Carn.
  • Olly
    Free Member

I’ve got an afternoon to spend in south Wales. I’ve not been back there since the new stuff at either afan or cwm carn has been open. If you had to choose one which would you do? (I’ve done the older stuff to death).

Olly
    Free Member

And on top of that, any reccomendations for campsites in the area…?

z1ppy

Hmm interested, should have the same dilemma later in the week – was just thinking of doing Afan whyte/wall to see how they were doing & planning to return later in the year for Blade & Penhydd, but was think of doing the new Cwm Carn trail on the way back home..
    Off-hand camping at Afan was fine, though last time I went (a while ago) there was heavy emphasise being aware of bike thefts at the site.

ichabod
    Free Member

Did the new Cwm Carn and Blade a few weeks back. The Blade had a few fantastic sections but overall it felt like a lot of climbing for not as much reward as many other trail center trails. The final decent was great though and more technical than most at Afan. The new Cwm carn XC loop was nice and well worth doing an extra loop and trying the new downhill track as well. I think on balance I would go for Cwm Carn if I had another afternoon out there.. if you are coming from the East then it is a fair bit closer too.

ichabod
    Free Member

Also having camped at both places I would say Afan is best due to having a late opening bar and cafe on Saturdays!

FieldMarshall

We just spent the weekend camping at Bryn Betws Lodge.

£5 a head.

Very basic facilities, but staff really friendly.

I think they will let you lock your bike in the shower block if you are worried, but we just locked them to the van.

Right next to the Wall trail so easy access to the Wall/W2 and on to either Penhydd or Whites.

Plus its right next to the Afan Bike Park, so you great for just messing about on your bike for an hour or so.

I rode the Cafall on Fri. Absolutely bone dry. Well worth a look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New trails in S wales. Afan ot Cwm Carn.’ is closed to new replies.