Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New trails for mountain bikers in Lancashire help needed.
  • TonyL
    Free Member

Hello I am after a bit of help getting some funding secured for a network of way marked mountain bike trails radiating out from Lee Quarry. The basic idea is to make use of the existing Bridleway network (and perhaps up grade some of the local cheeky routes) by providing 10 suggested way marked routes for mountain bikes.

I am after funding to make improvements to the bridleway network. Not the traditional sanitise the bridleway and take away it’s appeal to mountain bikers, rights of way departments are so well known for but a more imaginative lets improve it by adding in some features that will improve the drainage and make it more interesting to ride. Some sections where space allows this might mean putting in a line for bikes on one side of the trail, some sections it will involve stone pitching etc.

In order try this approach though I need some funding. We have a bid in for the work but the funders have asked us to gather some more information to support the bid. Basically I need to be able to demonstrate that there is a demand for this sort of work and that it is likely to bring more people in to the area to ride and probably stop off and use local shops, pubs etc.

So they (the funders) have asked me to ask the following questions of mountain bikers and potential visitors to the area. If you could answer them either on the forum or send me a response directly to tony.lund@lancashire.gov.uk that would be useful and assuming I get enough positive responses I should get some more money to spend on improving the trails in Lancashire for mountain bikers. We have made pretty good progress over the past four or five years and I’m keen we carry on doing so. Many thanks to those of you who take the time to respond.

Q1. Have you heard of/visited Lee/Cragg Quarry Mountain Bike Trails?

Q2. Would extensions to and better linkages between the existing trails in Lee/Cragg Quarry and the bridleway network make you more likely to visit this area?

Q3. Would the provision of 10 way marked mountain bike routes starting from Lee Quarry mean you would consider extending the length of visit to the area?

Q4. Would linked activities eg art installations which act as “usable art” such as a shelter, on the mountain bike network encourage you to visit more often?

Q5. Do you think a “Trail Head” facility in Rossendale would make Lee/Cragg Quarry and bridleway network a more attractive facility? What other facilities would you like to see – toilets/showers/bike shop/café/please state any other

neil853
    Free Member

Done 🙂

mintimperial

Yes. They’re ace. Nice work!

Q2. Would extensions to and better linkages between the existing trails in Lee/Cragg Quarry and the bridleway network make you more likely to visit this area?

Well I’ll be back anyway, but if you want to attract a larger and wider range of cyclists then adding to the trail network has to help. The first time I visited the area I did a loop out from Stacksteads round down the valley to Facit and back up over the top of Rooley Moor via Cragg. The area has some very pleasant bits, but much of the route was very hard to navigate even with pretty decent map reading skills, and there was rather more road work than I like too. As things are now I’d not recommend riding outside of the two quarries to anyone who wasn’t very confident of being able to find their way around.

Q3. Would the provision of 10 way marked mountain bike routes starting from Lee Quarry mean you would consider extending the length of visit to the area?

Definitely. Lee and Cragg are great fun but they’re both quite small, you’re restricted to quite a limited area of dense, feature heavy trails. Whilst I love that sort of thing, I like longer loops too and lots of people I know prefer more leisurely and more scenic rides without all the berms, drops and jumps. Adding some stuff like that would open the area up to a much larger crowd.

Q4. Would linked activities eg art installations which act as “usable art” such as a shelter, on the mountain bike network encourage you to visit more often?

Not personally but I can see how that might be an attraction for many people – can’t hurt can it?

Q5. Do you think a “Trail Head” facility in Rossendale would make Lee/Cragg Quarry and bridleway network a more attractive facility? What other facilities would you like to see – toilets/showers/bike shop/café/please state any other

Yes, but the first thing you need if you want to attract more people is proper toilets! A proper centre with a bike shop and the like would be great, but just putting in a decent toilet block would make a gigantic difference.

(By the way, I can be contacted at my username at gmail dot com if you want me to pontificate any further. Cheers!)

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Q1. Yes, use both quarries often

Q2. Yes, living fairly local we ride over scout moor to access the quarries, and additional trails links would be ace iff it created more of a general loop rather than just there and back.

Q3. Yes.

Q4. Yes, weather is ****.

Q5. Bike shop and cafe would be good, even just a tuck shop, burger van or vending machine would help. your pretty stumped up there if you get hungry or break down

steveh

Q1. Yes I’ve visited a few times and heard lots about them both.

Q2. Yes more trails will always increase the likelihood of me visiting an area and specifically in this case would develop the location from a good place to go and play and mess around to one offering longer more varied rides.

Q3. Yes

Q4. Not especially

Q5. Yes with the facilities mentioned and possibly a bike wash if not already in the thoughts.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

can I suggest a SKI LIFT from Lane Head to Top of Leach? 😆

Seriously, though… It would be great if a loop that incorporated Cowm reservoir. Such as something along these lines –

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5490587

bigsam
    Free Member

Q1; yes, visit often.
    Q2; yes
    Q3; yes
    Q4; yes i suppose, could be interesting/ practicle
    Q5; yes for sure, proper bogs and a bike wash would be good as well

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Done

portlyone

Q1: yes. Visit a couple of times a year.
    Q2: yes.
    Q3: yes. Definitely, it is kinda limited.
    Q4: yes. A place to stop can be good.
    Q5: yes. Toilets and a few bike bits/wash would be useful

andyg68

Q1. Been to Lee a couple of times in the last year and have heard about both of them.

Q2. Yes, definitely.

Q3. Yes, and would extend the attraction to those who perhaps don’t like bouncing over masses of rocks.

Q4. Probably not, but shelter from the wind/rain would be useful.

Q5. As others have said, toilets should be a priority. After that washing facilities and a cafe.

Thanks for all the positive work that Lancashire are doing in providing and expanding this facility.

crispo
    Free Member

1. Yes
    2. Most deffinately, ive always wanted to explore more up there but always been abit uncertain of how to link bits up.
    3. Yes – kind of ties in with q5 but with more facilities and trails it could be a lot more of a full day out then just a morning ride up to the quarries and back.
    4. Always good to have somewhere to shelter from the beautiful conditions up there….
    5. I think out of those toilets, a bike wash (i know not on the list but would be good) and a cafe would be best.

whytenosugar
    Free Member

Yes ridden both of them a couple of times and love them!

Yes I was certainly visit more often.

Yes, you could spend days up there!

This is a great idea, yes absolutely.

Yes, these facilities would enhance the experience. You just need to look at the trail centres in Scotland and Wales for this.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I travelled up from Birmingham specifically to ride Lee Quarry and thought it was great fun.

I wanted to ride at Cragg Quarry when I came up for the day but not being a local I didn’t know the route and I didn’t think it was obvious at the time.

The extra loops would broaden the appeal of visiting the area to riders that I know who arn’t confident enough to ride a lot of the Lee Quarry trails. This would mean we are more likely to make the journey. This would also make the mile munchers (who arn’t keen on sessioning trails) happy.

I like the idea of an arty shelter, the weather was terrible when I went up. It wouldn’t give me any more of a reason to ride there but it is pretty cool to see this sort of thing on the trails. Maybe there could be a big arty wind block in front of the pump track, it was unridable when I went as the wind was just too strong.

Oh god yes! To be honest even a sign to say ‘Car Parking for Lee/Cragg Quarry’ would be an improvement. I was a little concerned leaving my car where I did in case it was the wrong place. A trough and a couple of brushes on chains would be good as a cheap to run/free to use bike wash.

Clover

Yes and ride there every couple of months – usually mess around on the quarry and do a loop of Cragg so a couple of hours each time.

Yes – it’s not a whole days ride at the moment

Yes

Not as much as a cafe 🙂

Toilets!! Although a cafe with toilets would also work… Without wishing to be blunt, it’s ok for blokes but if you’re a delightful and delicate female the lack of loos puts you off messing around in Lee Quarry for a whole day. If the longer trails could cross paths with civilisation once in a while that helps too.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Q1 Yes, I live locaqlly and will regularly include one or both quarries as part of a route
    Q2 yes better links would assist me in using quarries as part of an extended route
    Q3 Yes marked route would assist me in planning days out as well as risk assessing suitability for other riders in group
    Q4 Usable art sounds a hoot and it woould provide a feature to show riders frrom other areas on organised rides
    Q5 as I’m local I would tend to shower at home , but would be good for riders from other areas , and its alkways nice to stop for a cuppa . If there was a shop I’m sure people would buy stuff to show they had been .

ratherbeintobago

I’ve visited the quarries but much of my riding is on the brideways surrounding Lee/Cragg. Waymarked bridleway routes centred on Lee/Cragg would make me much more likely to ride over again.

A cafe might be nice but I’m not sure how viable this would be – the overwhelming majority of the other riders I see out are local and, while the quarries are a draw, I am not sure they are enough to pull in enough people from outside the area to keep trailhead facilities in business.

Andy

RUSSTY
    Free Member

1 yes vist once or twice a month , live 5 miles away

2, yes not done much exploring out of lee quarry

3, usually stop for about 2 hrs but would stop longer if more to explore

4, not sure ,

5, deffinetly need toilets at the very least a big concern would be vandalism by some local low life sometimes seen around the quarry , cafe/bike shop would be good maybe incorperating the toilets in same place for security .

good luck hope u get some results

philfive
    Free Member

Only one question I want to answer as you hae been spot on with everything that has been done so far.

Q5- I think it needs toilet facilities but I can’t see the need for a trail centre style cafe/shop, how is honestly going to come back down the hill? Maybe something in the bowl will be better?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Q1. Yes
    Q2. Yes
    Q3. Yes
    Q4. Not particularly for me, but i can certainly see how interesting stuff up on the hills may well get the more leisure-orientated cyclists out for a ride.
    Q4. Yes. A cafe with toilets especially, bike shop possibly but not essential.

Edit: visit fairly regularly as i live at the bottom of the hill on the Rochdale side, so its only a ride up Rooley Moor Rd away.

albino
    Free Member

1 – Yes

2 – Yes

3 – Possibly

4 – It probably wouldn’t make me visit more than I already do but I think it would be a nice touch and would attract others.

5 – I’m not sure that enough riders come to warrant full facilities, although the if the proposed new trails were developed then it would be good. Small independent cafe, Toilets, bike wash etc would be good.
    If there were plans for a bike shop it would be good to see this supporting the existing Lbs, (Ride-on). I’d be opposed to a large chain or franchise coming in and damaging local trade.

funkrodent

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Absolutely

4. If they become a feature and a talking point it just creates more reasons for people to make the visit. Would be nice for taking the kids up there.

5. Not sure. Cafe would be nice but is there enough traffic for it to be viable? Then again, with all of the above in place, perhaps that would be the catalyst for extra traffic, meaning more punters…

sparkola

Sent by email. Keep up the good work!

totalshell

1, yes
    2, with an absolute certainty
    3,maybe
    4, big arty rock/ stone shelters would be fab
    5. would want a trail head facility to be in the quarry a mile away in the carparks no use to man nor beast and thier already is a caff close by.. have a loo shleter and a butty van in the upper carpark.. ideal

patriotpro
    Free Member

First of all good on you for taking the effort to do this!

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes
    5) Yes – Toilets, showers, bike shop and cafe/pub with bbq area and bikewash would be fantastic.

neil_enty
    Free Member

Q1. Yes, been there a few times over the last few years.

Q2. Yes, it’s not a whole days ride at the moment (which is good as there are no places to change/deal with nature calls)

Q3. Yes

Q4. Not as much as a cafe!! although it is very exposed up there.

Q5. Toilets!! Although a cafe with toilets/showers would be preferred. Bike wash, CCTV, bar, bbq?

good luck!!

uwe-r
    Free Member

Yes, i go quite often

Yes Definitely

Yes Definitely

Yes it all helps but sign posts and bike friendly gates are more important

I don’t tend to use these at other centres that much but i think it would work there are already a lot of people going and its very close to some large populations that could make it sustainable. If it works in North Wales then It should work that close to Manchester / Leeds.

alwillis

Q1. Yes

Q2. Most definitely- making a longer loop(s) out of the quarries would motivate me more to ride both quarries and more bridleway in between

Q3. I live close by, but I guess with more riding to do, people will stay longer or come back sooner!

Q4. Shelter of some sort would be awesome (near the pump tracks would be even better. Not fussed personally about art as I like the fact it’s a quarry not a gallery. I’m not against it though!

Q5. Toilets top of the list! after that then I guess bike wash and some form of burger van/cafe would be pretty good. I wouldn’t go as far as bike shop (Ride On is just down the road) and showers yet! That ski lift idea was a good one too!!

Bregante

Yes. Visit around once a month.

Yes Definitely

Yes.

Not really tbh.

As it stands I don’t think much more than toilets would be viable due to the number of visitors and relatively limited trails. If these were to be increased as indicated above then I could see lee & Cragg becoming more of a place people would want to spend more than a couple of hours at.

giantwill
    Free Member

All five yes.

I grew up in Whitworth the next valley over from Bacup, I grew up riding the moors hunting out bits of single track and tackling the big up’s and downs in the Quarry’s around the area (there must be at least 15 I can think of within 5miles) the area is great although it is very samey. One bit of moor looks very much like the next so to keep people’s interest they will have to make the trails a lot more exciting than they currently are.

Lee is good but incredibly windy, it funnels up through the valley and blast you all the way round the same is true at Cragg and unfortunately it’s the same all over that area, maybe some tree planting to act as wind break’s and a change of scenery? Just a suggestion.

Good luck getting the funding, the area really needs a boost!

grum
    Free Member

I have heard a lot about them and watched lots of videos etc – it looks great but I haven’t managed to go there yet.

Yes, at the moment it’s quite far for me to travel and having more/better riding there would make it more worth the trip.

Definitely.

It’s not a massive factor for me but I welcome things like that.

At least some toilets would be good – anything else would be a bonus.

justatheory
    Free Member

Yes – I visit at least once a month.

It would definitely make me more likely to explore the area outside the Quarries.

Absolutely.

No.

A trail head facility would make the trail network a lot more appealing. Toilets, bike wash, café, bike shop would make the location a lot more convenient.

ourmaninthenorth

Q1. Heard of, but not yet visited. I haven’t ridden my MTB in a while (riding on the road much more), but living in West Lancs, there’s nothing that isn’t a journey away, so I’d be inclined to make the effort.

Q2. Yes. A good network – and of differing grades of route – will always make it attractive to a wide range of abilities.

Q3. Yes. Lancashire is very poorly served on the bridleway front (West Lancs is appalling..!), so anything that creates routes based on the existing – and possibly to be included – network, is a good idea. It justifies a drive to get there (always good for a family man!).

Q4. Good idea. I’d like the idea of some trails that served as a mixed use/family friendly activity (rather than just head down MTBing). Being able to mix up the activities, especially with children, would be good – make the installations really interactive (perhaps a linked series of climbing/hiding/playing sculptures).

Q5. I suspect it would. TBH, I’ve only ever used one trail centre before, and that only had parking at the trailhead. I’m happy to be self sufficient, but a cafe would be good – nothing complicated, but a reason to stay and spend money. Washing facilities – bikes and people – are a nice extra, but not essential in my view.

Good luck..!

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Yes, been a couple of times, but not recently

Yes, definitely especially if I come with people who are keener on the XC stuff than trail features.

I would be more likely to camp over and make a weekend of it. I wasn’t aware there was much at Cragg Quarry so I’d investigate that. Maybe I’m a bit lazy but I like way marked routes as it’s a hassle getting your map out every five minutes and I think I have a bit of “map dyslexia”!

I think they would be cool, provide a showcase for local artists/craftspeople, provide something a bit different, I’d want to come and see them if they were there.

You can’t beat a decent set of toilets! Bike wash and a drinking water source is always useful, as is a shop that at least sells parts/food etc – someone always forgets something!

duffle
    Free Member

Q1. Yes been a couple of times

Q2. Yes. The more the better!

Q3 Only live an hour away but it would make me visit more often rather than for longer.

Q4. Not a major priority but a varied outlook is always nice! The shelter aspect could be the way forward though especially when a bit cold and wet, it is a bit barren oop ont’ops

Q5. Toilets would never go a miss. Also not over aesthetically pleasing but a couple of bins knocking about wouldn’t go a miss to keep certain areas tidier.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Tony,
    A tip that might help you collate and manage your survey findings if you need to do this kind of research again, you might be interested in some of the free online survey tools like http://www.surveymonkey.com/

Anyway, answers:
    Yes, both. Visit maybe every couple of months.

Definately, YES. More options/variety please.

Yes.

No, I’d rather see limited funds used on the trails.

Toilets/cafe would be good but not essential.

P7Pro

Q1. I’ve been once.

Q2. A mix of XC trails, along with the quarry features, will appeal to a wider variety of riders.

Q3. More mtb trails in an area will bring more people in. The more trails that there are the longer they will stay or they’ll return more often.

Q4. Not really.

Q5. Toilets are important for handling bigger numbers of people. Showers would be nice and could be included with the toilet area, as at other trail centres. A bike shop would be good as things break, are forgotten etc. A cafe is a good idea, as it’s a meeting place / focal center and will help bring in riders of all types.

TonyL – Good luck and thanks for putting the effort into this.

teamralph74
    Free Member

Q1. Ridden at Lee Quarry and it is awesome.

Q2. Definitely, went up to ride the Lee/ Crag Quarry link, but wasn’t sure where the link route was. Better signage is imperitive and extended routes would be great.

Q3. Yes most certainly, having 10 different waymarked routes would be awesome and keep people coming back for more. Trying different combinations etc.

Q4. Not sure, its a nice idea, a useable shelter would be cool when people want to take a break and refuel.

Q5. I don’t think moving the trail head from current location would make much difference, the local cafe gets good reviews so why take away their trade. In terms of other facilities, a bike wash would be nice and proper car parking. There is a ton of waste ground at the bottom so maybe a skills loop or pump track for little kids to practice on without the effort of the climb up to the quarry.

Using local bridleways to enhance the quarry would be a great way forward and something that would be unique to the trail centre experience. Thanks Tony for puttong the effort into this.

bazwadah
    Free Member

Heard of but not visited yet.

Yes – the more options available the better, having the choice of long or short routes would move Lee Quarry up my list of places to ride next.

Yes – having different options on the day would allow me to wait until the last minute to decide what type of ride I wanted to do that day.

Yes – as demonstrated at some trail centres already (i.e. the sculpture trail at Grizedale). sometimes ‘unexpected’ sights such as art/ shelters can add a bit of a wake up if the route is turning into a struggle.

Yes – I would only really look for toilets,parking (free preferable, or paid parking if proceeds go directly back into the trail and faculties). showers and bike wash would be a bonus

patriotpro
    Free Member

bump

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New trails for mountain bikers in Lancashire help needed.’ is closed to new replies.