Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • New trails at Cwmcarn?
  • johnny

So I read some posts on the Cognation website about a new XC trail and a revamp of the DH at Cwmcarn a while ago, billed for opening late Nov/December time.

Anyone been there recently and seen any progress/ possibility of an opening date?

thewalker
    Free Member

hi rowan working on dh last wk,xc not going to be finished till late december or early jan

GolfChick
    Free Member

went yesterday, saw a few changes and the possibility of new bits but nothing finished yet so its the same route as always.

johnny

aha, great info- one to save for later in the winter then…!?

kimbers

Cwmdown just posted this on facebook

Cwmdown
    OK, the new DH and XC trails are pretty much finished. I’m guessing they might be opening some time in Feb, but I’ve not had any official updates from NRW (FC) yet. Meeting Bob the ranger tomorrow so will hopefully be able to update you after that. I’m not sure yet what the plan is with regards to uplifting the new DH track, as it’s on the other hill. So currently we cannot uplift both tracks at the same time. I’ll give you some more info as I get it. Darrell.

😀

M1llh0use
    Free Member

So are these in addition to the existing twrch and DH tracks or replacements?

wiggles
    Free Member

Additions, are on the other hill

rhysw
    Free Member

You will not be disappointed with the new xc loop.

kimbers

Anyone know the length of the new loop ?

jim25

So they built a track the can’t uplift on?!

kimbers

jim, no its just on the other side of the valley so its a different route up

rhysw
    Free Member

There will be an up lift service running for the new DH and xc tracks. The new xc track is longer than the Twrch trail and has a good old climb to it. The boys building it have done a great job. It’s very different than the Twrch trail, just what the area needed.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

How’s problems with people riding it Rhys? Seen people on it everyday as I walk the dogs there, really wanna confront them but then if you never know who’s had permission and who’s not.
    All looking really good though!!

veedubdave

Hope the XC trail isn’t too much like the new bits of the Penhydd at Afan.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

The trail is waiting on the Forestry commission to put the signs up. Other than that its good to go. I’ve bin reliably informed.

sideshow
    Free Member

All sounds exciting. I have been wondering what the hell they’re going to do for uplifts.

If you’re wondering why they didn’t build a second DH on the same hill as the first one, … somebody should have asked that question several years ago when they built Y Mynydd! But as it stands afaik the new DH is a revamp of the original Cwmcarn one, which has always been hidden away in the woods opposite the uplifted Y Mynydd DH. Hence the decision to focus on that now as I’d guess it’s a lot less work than cutting a completely new line opposite.

diawl2
    Free Member

More info on Cwmdown’s FB page.

diawl2
    Free Member

Pleased to say standards have improved in the café too.

diawl2
    Free Member

If you’re wondering why they didn’t build a second DH on the same hill as the first one, … somebody should have asked that question several years ago when they built Y Mynydd

It was a question of land ownership. The old Pedalhounds DH was never officially sanctioned. Obviously a lot of work has gone on behind the scenes to get these new trails built. Well done to all concerned I say.

sideshow
    Free Member

+1 for info – didn’t know that 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

It’s very different than the Twrch trail, just what the area needed.

when we say very different, do you mean glorified BMX track with berms and boardwalks and that sort of crap?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Excited!

richc
    Free Member

when we say very different, do you mean glorified BMX track with berms and boardwalks and that sort of crap?

Shouldn’t you at least ride it before slagging off months of work and years of planning?

Just saying like

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you at least ride it before slagging off months of work and years of planning?

Just saying like

+1

kimbers

looks nice from the fbook posts

Im not sure how it will stand up to mrmo’s all encompassing opinion on what makes a good trail though

veedubdave

Looks good to me!

mrmo
    Free Member

Just saying like

There has been a trend IMO recently to make trail centres in general little more than glorified bmx tracks. Personnally I have no interest in that kind of trail, hence the question. I don’t give a **** if they spend £10M and 20 years planning and building it, if it is smooth as tarmac with big berms, jumps and boardwalks. I accept that others may want to ride that sort of trail but I don’t.

The question remains, when someone says it is very different to the twyrch, does this mean very smooth, very rocky, when it climbs does it do so in a easy undemanding and uninteresting way. Just trying to get an idea of whether it is worth my time even bothering visiting.

edit:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/penhydd-trail-opens-today

Rowanish, new word, Is the new trail Rowanish?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Must admit, I’m not a fan of Rowanish trails

kimbers

I think these rowanish trails have the advantage of being very hardwearing, big berms and boardwalk, stand up well to heavy use throughout the year, resist braking bumps etc

the more natural stuff tends to get chewed up quickly and not handle the large visitor numbers you see at trailcentres

if thats not yer bag you can always dig out the os map and hit up some bridleways

scottfitz
    Free Member

I think these rowanish trails have the advantage of being very hardwearing, big berms and boardwalk, stand up well to heavy use throughout the year, resist braking bumps etc

Like the ones at swinley 😉

kimbers

I think they actually Mature like a fine wine Scott!

fozzybear
    Free Member

@ Kimbers
    those photos look great.
    less of a manicured trail.
    Hope there is a solid base under it else the braking brigade will **** it all up.
    i’ll go soon once open to ride it as it was intended and not with nobber braking bumps in it.
    you got the FB linky please?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Think the Tarw/Red Bull has lasted pretty well at CyB. Don’t recall that being a BMX friendly berm-athon. More rocks less berms please

fozzybear
    Free Member

your a star kimbers, thx.

veedubdave

From the look of the Cwmdown pics the new trail doesn’t look too Rowanish. Looks more like a “more natural” trail centre trail… Hoping it is as good as it looks!

flatpat
    Free Member

It does doesn’t it.

Speaking of which I really enjoyed the new, muddy, slightly off camber singletrack they’ve done at FODs Freeminer trail – was a nice mix with that and the bermtastic Verderers. Hopefully Cwmcarn will be similar.

DanW
    Free Member

Really excited to see the new trails- looks like a lot of hard work has gone in to the area.

Hope the XC trail isn’t too much like the new bits of the Penhydd at Afan

I kind of agree. For some reason Afan doesn’t do much for me. I guess the area has had a tough time keeping the trails properly open recently but I much prefer Cwm Carn. Rougher and more natural with a properly engaging climb is just the ticket 😀 That being said I haven’t made it to Cwm Carn for a year now so the latest state of Twrch may not live up to my memories since the slight reworking. Nevertheless, exciting to head back and see how the trails are looking 😀

kimbers

The new Cognation project funded XC and DH trails at Cwmcarn will be open to ride from Wed 19th Feb. Cwmcarn’s new Downhill Track follows the line of the old club built trail down a steep side valley in the forest. Access is via the Cafall XC trail or you can use the onsite uplift service. This trail start off with a handmade rooty section through the trees and soon picks up speed as it flows in and out of the wooded sections. There are plenty of drops and technical lines with lots of roots, rock and stumps so keep an eye out for them and make sure you know what’s on the other side before ‘sending’ any of the features. The trail finishes off with a steep and fast jumps section before arriving back at the uplift pick up point. Body armour and full face helmets are strongly advised for this Extreme graded Downhill trail.

Incase you missed it, opening on Wednesday 19th Feb. (please note, the uplift might not be running to the new DH track on this date as we need to sort a few drainage problems on the uplift route before we start, so please check back for updates).
    Like · · Share · 2441 · 19 minutes ago ·

Cwmdown
    The new Cognation project funded XC and DH trails at Cwmcarn will be open to ride from Wed 19th Feb. Climbing up to altitudes over 400 metres the new XC trail called ‘Cafall’ (after King Arthurs lead hunting hound that chased the wild boar ‘Twrch’) the trail gives you a real sense of adventure. With some tough climbs and tight hand built singletrack sections combined with some fantastic technical descents it’s defiantly for those with more experience. However you will be rewarded with some amazing riding and views of the surrounding area on this trail that will take you out in to some of the more remote areas of Cwmcarn Forest Park. Make sure you are self sufficient and expect weather changes on this technical (Red grade) trail.

rooty!

crush83
    Free Member

Does this trail start at the same car park as the twerch?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘New trails at Cwmcarn?’ is closed to new replies.