Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Trails at Afan
  • luke1688

Going down to afan tomorrow and want to ride the new bike park and new sections. Where is best to park and which trail is the best to take in these new bits? When I’ve been before Ive parked at the bike centre but not sure if this is the best place to start. Thanks!

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s sort of bolted onto the wall trail (at the top after graveyard, just cross the road) so afan argoed visitor centre is the best place to park mate. Don’t miss the other new bit either, just ride straight past zig zags and follow your nose. It brings you back out by zig zags so you don’t miss it!

fathomer

Are the new bits easy enough to find, if you’ve not been before? I’m going next weekend and planning on riding W2.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Park at the bike park, follow signs for Gwylfi bike park (on the other side of the valley to afan usual car park)left turn about 1/2 mile back from Afan.

You can then session new section and bike park and ride down final descent on the Wall then ride back up wall to Car

Being fresher for the bike park session

make sure you do Whites @ Glyncorwg new final descent is a blast (still a bit loose in places so watch yourself)

Enjoy

Wouldn’t bother with W2 as there are loads of diversions and extra fire road loops

wrecker
    Free Member

I cannot believe that people DRIVE up to the “bike park”.

b45her
    Free Member

think your confusing skyline with W2, W2 is just the same as its always been bar for the new descent and climb.
    i’d say the best place to start is bryn bettws lodge too, right on the bike park so you can ride it before or after you’ve done a loop.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

b45her you’re right Skyline was in my head not the combo W2, thanks

wrecker depends how long you want to session it for surely.

Spent a day just at the bike park a few weeks back

fathomer

We’re staying at the bryn bettws lodge so that’s a bonus!

philwarren11
    Free Member

Why would you not want to drive up to the bike park if thats all you want to do?

You can do all the best bits of the wall without any of the crap fireroad climbs. If you know it well you can ride up to 373 and do that and graveyard back to the bike park. New loop as well. Down zig zags and back up the enduro climb (not marked).

Parking in Rhyslyn is the best option imo if you want to do the whole trail. Riding back up to the visitor centre after doing the trail and zig zags is just hard work and boring. Both bike park and Rhyslyn are free. You wont see a local parking at the visitor centre for a reason.

wrecker
    Free Member

wrecker depends how long you want to session it for surely.

But it’s not a massive climb by anyones standards, there’s plenty of fun to be had on the way up and down and you can still spend all day at the “bike park”. Plus the fitness!
    The afan argoed visitor centre is FC owned and operated so at least some of the car park fees go into trail maintenance/new trail building unlike the glyncorrwg centre who contribute FA to trail upkeep. If you’re going to avoid paying parking, do it there (IMHO). The new bridge shortcut makes it about a 5 minute ride.

zelak999
    Free Member

There last week, not too keen on the ascent up the old Darkside downhill run. The descent to Glyncorrwg a bit dull too. The rest was awesome though. The extra loop on Y Wal is good and the bike park is cool.
    A local told me they are spending lots on new trails due to be opening in July……………..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Visit the two new trails at Blaengawr (Darren Fawr) just over the hill from Glencorrwy. Can’t wait to try the black. Looks like a nice mix of fast vs nadge
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iauRxbIOYJA[/video]

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve been parking up at the bikepark the last two times I’ve ridden there. Head over to whites level and do energy section then windy point and back over (the rest isn’t worth it anymore), do 373/graveyeard. grab some food at the bikepark cafe. do the wall descent and head back up to the top then spend the rest of the day playing in the bike park. much better way of doing it. The day then finishes when you want and in a chilled out fashion rather than when the trail says you finish if you see what I mean.

Me following a team mate down the new top section of the wall:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VubwqWz6cmg[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Blaengarw is rubbish. Really, no need to go there. Nothing to see, just carry on to Afan and leave it all for MEEEE!!!!
    More seriously, its ace. Such a welcome respite from the gravelled 6ft wide shit which seems to be becoming the norm. Prob head back up there on Sunday if you fancy it buzz?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Trails at Afan’ is closed to new replies.