Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New trail open at Llandegla from today
  • Raindog
    Free Member

If you’re a Llandegla basher you won’t be interested of course, but two new sections of red & black trail were opened today at Llandegla – bring on the weekend 🙂

ozzy38
    Free Member

Rode it today and i must admit the first new section was damn good,superb descent then a climb which i may add bloody nearly killed me:)but all in all miles better than the old route.Just need to get fitter to appreciate it more!

loddrik
    Free Member

How long are the extra sections? Haven’t been for a year or so.

ozzy38
    Free Member

There about 6km long but bearing in mind they’ve got rid of the old sections which were boring anyway! You wont be dissapointed if you got the lungs for it!:)

Radioman

Wow looks great! Thanks for the post I look forward to giving it a go…

julians
    Free Member

Video below – not mine

linky

Looks good to me

schnor
    Free Member

Sounds good. I noticed a month or so ago the new northshore bit past the jumps (I had a cheeky ride – I assumed they hadn’t finished as it just ended suddenly with a 5ft drop about 50ft from some ancient looking jumps, or is it still there?)

Hopefully the boring bit along the watercourse (the leet? there were lots of blue pipes in a pile) is avoided.

curvature
    Free Member

Looks good!

bangermoose
    Free Member

cant wait! that looks amazing

Mugboo

Might have to stop bitching about the place and go back 🙂

Dan1502
    Free Member

I ended up in A&E after riding it on Sunday. We weren’t sure if it was open or not as the barrier was there but had been pulled right out of the way. Apparently another guy we know came off in the same place and another had a ‘moment’. Basically there are a few rollers/tabletops/big bumps or whatever you want to call them. Looking back at a video I took went up the centre of one but on the other side the trail kinks to the right so it sent me to the left of the trail onto loose stuff and my front wheel washed out sending me straight into the banking. Front wheel taco’s and I went head first into the bank. So just watch out for it and keep right as it’s a fast section.

Video

It’s at 5m42 on the vid.

hughjengin
    Free Member

We were up there too on Sunday, and presumed it was open. Saw the ambulance when we were having a brew afterwards. Hope your ok. The new bits were excellent we thought. As a North Wales local Llandegla in general is the last place on earth we’d ride on a Sunday, but the new bits are good enough to get us back more often. Nice one Llandegla.

Dan1502
    Free Member

Yeh, to be honest I was really just after a pick up to take me back to the centre and I would’ve decided what to do from there but I think it’s health and safety issues that mean you either walk back or call an ambulance. I’ve not broken anything but was concussed and have a bruised forehead, black eye, compression injuries to neck, bashed shoulder, swollen ribs, etc etc and I was wearing quite a lot of padding (thankfully). Helmet has no visor, a dent and three cracks through it. But I think I got away fairly lightly considering.

Oh and a massive thank you to the lads who stopped and helped me (and the great fella walking his dog but I guess he won’t frequent here) – much appreciated.

Whyte1
    Free Member

that sounds nasty hope you recover well . I too had a go Sunday thinking it was open and really enjoyed it and looking forward to having a play in the dark . I think the recent work done has been great and is turning the place into a days riding instead of a quick blast when time is an issue , it’s also nice to see that the crazy parking fees are being put to good use , well done One Planet

grum
    Free Member

I was wearing quite a lot of padding (thankfully).

Everyone knows you don’t need pads at Llandegla though. 😛

New stuff looks ace, will have to get back up there.

Dan1502
    Free Member

I tend to always where quite a bit as I don’t bounce like I used to and 100Kg results in quite a bit of momentum! Also, quite a few of the falls resulting in injuries amongst people I know have been in pretty innocent places. Judging by the state of my knee and elbow pads, they did their job nicely.

franki
    Free Member

I’d like to have a crack at it, it looks like fun, but there seems to be little of real interest unless you’re into jumps, but I guess other Welsh trail centres cater for more techy xc riding to be fair.

grum
    Free Member

Sorry was actually just taking the piss about all those who hate Llandegla, and go on about ‘stormtroopers’ and how you don’t need pads because it’s so easy (only if you mince round it slowly).

I’d like to have a crack at it, it looks like fun, but there seems to be little of real interest unless you’re into jumps,

It’s certainly not the place to go for a techy ride but it all flows very nicely. The challenge is in riding it fast and hitting all the jumps right though.

stumpy01

Ooooh, it looks nice! Not been there for ages….

Flaperon

My impression of Llandegla is that unlike, say, Lee Quarry, none of the black is intrinsically dangerous but if you make a slight mistake at speed it could turn nasty very quickly. Are the stone tops of those tabletops slippery in the wet?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Flaperon, I think you have it in a nutshell, the black bits at Llandelga have nothing to fear for most people technically, it is simply the case of the speed that Llandelga encourages you to carry everywhere on the trail that is the inherant risk factor.

_tom_
    Free Member

That looks pretty fun. My kind of trail – fast, flowy and littered with jumps 🙂 Seems like I’ll finally have to get off my arse and make the effort to drive up to Llandegla now.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It looks like ace fun, and that’s what it’s all about, surely?

nosedive
    Free Member

this looks great, I love that Llandegla are constantly updating the trails. making the last red section singletrack will be a massive improvement, it was the last really boring bit

Dan1502
    Free Member

Lee quarry is my nearest place to ride and where I go most often. I’m a relative beginner but have done the full black route at Lee. I’m at the stage where I’m practicing drop offs and doing small jumps but don’t attempt table tops yet (I generally just absorb them). I probably went a bit light and didn’t have enough weight on the front to make the unexpeted turn on the other side or was had too much weight forward and slid. I can’t really remember but the line certainly caught me out.

I’d agree that the fun in Llandegla is doing it fast. That day I was carrying a lot more speed on the red route and really enjoying it (I’ve improved a lot since my last visit) and was comfortable on the black sections carrying plenty of speed whilst avoiding air other than on the smaller bumps where I felt comfortable. Table top tecnnique is next on my list of things to learn (a visit to Jedi is in order sometime).

fivespot
    Free Member

Had a blast around the new stuff this morning, and it is a blast. Great stuff Llandegla. I especially liked the new red, a far more rewarding finish than the old one. I can now justify the bacon & egg bap at the cafe afterwards 🙂

Russell96

I too had a ride around all the new bits today, new Red was quite a surprise well worth doing. I can see the new Black catching people out at speed the stone isn’t too bad on the tabletops but now and then its set to give you an extra bit of lift/kick that could catch you out if your speed is wrong.

dave360

Looking forward to checkin it when I’m there next Thursday

adstick
    Free Member

Damn! I was there for the first time on Sunday, it would have been nice to try the new stuff. I wasn’t especially impressed with the place as a whole. Especially as I like jumps and it had been hyped a jumpy. Is it a bit worn out? The only bit with jumps I liked was the Freeride Area, but I had no idea it was there until we’d done the whole loop. As a consequence I was a bit too tired to make the mosty of it. Shame as the potential of the place is high.

jedi

i may pop up there sometime for a look/ride

dasnut
    Free Member

loads of jumps to flat. Looks ace 😉

Dan1502
    Free Member

My wheel!

I’m not sure if you can access them but there are a few more videos on there from the day including the new bits on the later videos.

Group page

depth-junkie
    Free Member

Rode the new black tonight for the 1st time, Great bit of trail especialy at night and at speed not knowing whats on the otherside. Few good drops that had us all on our toes. Can see parts catching folk out, and there are some fair drops down bits of the banks if you do get it wrong.

some great singletrack along it, especialy the bit after the big bomb hole with a turn to the right at the bottom. Great climb back up also, propper bit of trail. When done Llandegla spot on.

Puts Llandegla up there with the best of em IMHO.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Absolutely cracking upgrade to the trails!!

The Red is now superb!! Lost a spoke and a bit of skin on the new Black section but its non-stop fun 🙂

Has really moved Llandegla up a notch or two 🙂

Cheers
    Paul

bloodynora
    Free Member

If it keeps people away from Penmachno happy days

hora
    Free Member

Jedi theres a spare bit of earth for you to ride here in the peaks 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

Does this mean that the black is now closer to proper black rather than the XC circuit the old black was?
    Is the old black still open?
    Will I have to go this week to check it out?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

New black is like a longer more intense and potentially a tad harder version of the Parallel Universe section. Speed dependent 🙂

Old black remains open.

New red finish is so much better than the old fire road return.

forge197
    Free Member

Look forward to trying the new bits might try and get there next weekend and they do a nice bacon roll In the cafe 🙂

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I rode it twice today and it really ups Llandegla into a different league.

Nice work lads.

Worth the trip now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New trail open at Llandegla from today’ is closed to new replies.