Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New trail at Glencoe (Chairlift n all)
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

So excited about this: http://bigmountainscotland.com/news-2/

Anyone know more about the route?

BoardinBob

Yeah really looking forward to this. No real details on the trail yet and it’ll be interesting to see how “red” it actually is.

GW
    Free Member

Was at Glencoe Ski centre yesterday for the SDA DH race and didn’t see any information about this at all :/ , don’t know if that highlights a lack in my observation skills or the Ski centres poor promotion but you’d have though an event with 300 mtbers, families and friends would have been a pretty good place to shout about it.
    from the lift you can clearly see a wider less steep/rocky/technical track coming down the left hand side of the hill, doubt I’d ever ride it with the DH track being there TBH but more trails/tracks is good news.

GW
    Free Member

What does “red” mean Bob?

GavinB

@GW there was an announcement yesterday on the tannoy, telling people about the £10/day rate next weekend, although tbf it was easy to miss. They described it more as a chance to bed in the new track, as its really unconsolidated/muddy in places, so needs some tyres over it to pack it down a touch.

They did also mention that you could pay the £10 and sneak onto the DH track, which would make for a cheap days riding. My forks are borked though, and on their way to TF to sort next week, so no chance for me to be there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Red as in the same grade as the red dh at fort William, I’d imagine. Which is more ‘dh red’ than trail centre red. I hear that they are also planning on building some pods as well, would be a good addition too.

Northwind

They’re pretty chaotic at glencoe aren’t they… I mean, they were vaguely promoting the weasel trail last year but when you went there, there was nothing- even when you’re in the car park it’s not that obvious they do bikes. But, they’ve been working at this for ages so hopefully they’ve done a good job of it, guess I’ll check it out when I’m up there in July.

thegman67

Its the old trail they used to take the skiers up before they put the chair lift in they have a special offer on next week before it officially opens as they are looking for feedback

BoardinBob

What does “red” mean Bob?

A dig at the Nevis Range “red” which many consider harder than the black!

GavinB

The first few pods were in at the weekend, although not operational yet. I heard there will be another few arriving soon, making around 8 or so. Not so sure about the astroturf to go around them though.

I think its good they are developing the place, albeit tentatively. Tapping in to some of the market that heads straight past on its way to Fort Bill, by that I mean DH/XC riders, as well as WHW walkers and casual tourists must be a big market, but I guess they maybe don’t want to commit too much in this financial climate. Dunno.

BoardinBob

Any reports on the new trail?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Spent an amazing day there yesterday;

At the start of the day, trail was a tad tricky due to loose surface and no defined line; there was also a couple of dodgy drain crossings: however as day went on, thanks to hard work by the trailbuilders (who were all smiles and encouragement), things improved immensely with tidy drain transitions, rock gardens and fun little kickers, but best of all, a sizeable berm that appeared from nowhere within an hour~ the surface sorted itself out well after a few runs.

All in all one of the best days I’ve had in a long time; great riding and views to die for (I kept my eye on the trail thankfully) well worth 3 hours drive.

BoardinBob

Nice. Planning on heading up this weekend.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Seems like the trail is open for real now~ those guys don’t mess about!!

Glencoe Mountain

Toying with the idea of getting a season pass, weather permitting.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

[adds to bucket list]

xiphon
    Free Member

The new red trail is what we smashed up at MacAvalanche recently, IIRC.

Fun wide track (wide enough for a 4×4 to get up), with big rocks jumping out at you!

philbert31
    Free Member

i really dont know why but when i read chairlift i had a vision of going up a mountain on a stannah with the bike on your knee 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New trail at Glencoe (Chairlift n all)’ is closed to new replies.