Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New Toy…Plus size model….
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Well I kept looking at it in my LBS and it came up on sale discounted as it was a demo model… used 3 times….

So after the wife gave me permission… I still think she feels bad for not getting me anything for my 30th! I bought a plus bike and one with a lefty at that! So two things I’ve wanted to try…. what I have is a Cannondale Beast of the East 1. I was a little apprehensive after my last outing with a Crank & Fail….. don’t like the 07 road bike I had…. I took this for a spin and though it felt good, really good tbh so pulled out my wallet and brought it home, well after going home, working myself up, almost turning around on the A30, having a panic attack outside…. 😯 was an expensive bike for me lol

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LZjbu1]14570228_10153961266818225_2894961327039827279_n[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

The next day after I switched my XT brakes and carbon alt bars (still not ready to give them up!) onto this we went out for a ride, the wife and I jut did the coast to coast down here in Cornwall and I had a little run around Poldice including a ride through whats left of the river bed at the bottom.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LZjbTs]14523206_10153963092873225_3146225023650958552_n (1)[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Was really pleased with it, rolled a lot better than expecting coming from a 29×2.1 or 2.4 depending on the ride, and climbed like a goat, I was super surprised at that!

So all in all I was pleased with the purchase, my 1st aluminium bike and have to say they have come some way and the 1st bike I haven’t built up from a frame :O, but with the dicount I had it was about the same as I probably would have spent building a new frame up but over a bit longer time….

Now to clean it…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LZkP9b]14494844_10153966557313225_4165495166450457365_n (1)[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers, Steve

Northwind

Plus size lefty is awesome, it looks more like you’ve just left the wheel lying beside the bike in that bottom pic.

superstu
    Free Member

Looks really nice. Be interested to see how you get on after a longer period of time. I’m plus curious, no real opinion on them other than wondering what they’ll give me over a traditional set up, especially as much of my riding is soggen bridleway night rides.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Ha yea I did get some funny looks…. been around for years and still surprises me that some people have never heard/seen them before.

Chers, Steve

Clink

I’m intrigued if these will fit 29er wheels. What do you reckon?

Kryton57

Result! – someone else with an orange flouro helmet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THat looks great.

Yer bike helmet looks ghey though.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

@superstu well wth new bike enthusiasm it felt good on the recently rained on tram way, kind of floated over the mud rather than cut through it, handled rooty gorse tracks well, I felt more confident thats for sure.

Will hopefully be able to report back in the future, will see how long the wrist op knocks me back…. hoping to get it out across Gwithian Towans before the weather closes in….

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

@

Clink

not sure, my 29×2.1 I have on my other bike atm looks like they would fit, gets a bit close in the rear.

@

davidtaylforth & Kryton57

thanks, it’s also my commuter helmet… be safe be seen and all that…. sensible Steve init. Also useful for people to pick you out when leading a group.

Cheers, Steve

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

be safe be seen and all that

😀 can’t argue with that. It does look a bit “PPE”

LMT
    Free Member

Another Plus bike, I got mine today as well, looks great! I was tempted by the model below that one but went speshi instead.

Kryton57

Cheers, Steve

Hmm, my names Steve too, Orange helmet karma and all that…

can’t argue with that. It does look a bit “PPE”

I’d like to point out mine is much more racy looking… 😀

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Well POC tend to be a bit mushroom like…. can’t afford to change it now! Plus it looks better than floor does on the forehead.

@LMT seen, looks great love the colour, I didn’t research it that well, just always fancied a Lefty, and the plus craze has peaked my interest, plus the fact it was £100 cheaper than the Beast 2 helped (depending where you shop…) Was tempted to do a 29+ build but after riding this I think I made the right decision. Good riding with the new stead!

edit:- is it because it’s head on and the peak is sort of blended into the rest? Was also taken by my wife who is 6-7″ shorter then me…

Cheers, Steve

km79
    Free Member

That decking is remarkably clean.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Not been up that long… only built it about March this year.

Cheers, Steve

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I have a beast 1 and love it. The bike feels different again going tubeless and lighter tyres.

Had mine a couple of months and not ridden my other bikes since. Make sure you get the tyre pressures right though, rides like a dog when they get a little low.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I have a beast 1 and love it. The bike feels different again going tubeless and lighter tyres.

Had mine a couple of months and not ridden my other bikes since. Make sure you get the tyre pressures right though, rides like a dog when they get a little low.

Ok thanks, been looking at tubeless, both my LBS stock Stan’s so no excuse really….
    Been looking at a set of Vee’s CTBM has on sale for a possible tyre change.
    Running 18-20 atm with the tubes.

Found it hard to find sold info on the Beast 1, reviews etc was a bit of a blind judgement for me.

Cheers, Steve

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I bought mine based on a whin test ride at cannock and thought it was great fun. Im using nobby nics at the momemt holding out to see what maxxis will release for it

trailwagger
    Free Member

I have a cujo and love it. In regards to tyre pressures I am going as low as 14F 16R.

Wookster

Oh dear……..I’m liking that a bit too much!!!!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

trailwagger – Member
    I have a cujo and love it. In regards to tyre pressures I am going as low as 14F 16R.

Is that running tubeless? I have to take my tyre off as apparently these are already to go tubeless with the rim tape already in place.

Cheers, Steve

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is that running tubeless? I have to take my tyre off as apparently these are already to go tubeless with the rim tape already in place.

No, I am still running tubes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How times have changed… Beast of the East in ’92.

I couldn’t quite afford one and had to make do with the M500 instead 🙁

twisty

I remember the beast of the east of the 90’s but not aure what made it beastly. It looks kind of tall, was it just that it had a high bottom bracket?

mrblobby
    Free Member

No idea. Sure someone on here will know. It always use to be the M800’s I think.

santacoops
    Free Member

Love these, prefer the colour scheme of beast of the east 2 though, but 2 doesn’t have a dropper or lefty. Do you reckon Cannondale would do the 2 colour in the 1 if i asked nicely?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’m too you for the “original beast” my 1st proper bike was the 1999 Orange Clockwork in the green powder coat (anniversary one) . Looks an interesting thing though, a tad like a 69er, nice example of one as well!

Trailwagger thanks will try some lower pressure.

Not sure, I like the Teal, not a fan of the 2 colour, but we are all different.

Cheers, Steve

ianpv
    Free Member

I think the high BB was one of the things that made the beast of the east beastily – for getting over rocks and roots typical of East coast US riding I think. May have remembered that completely wrong though…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Just had word that I’ve been booking in for the suspension recall/upgrade to 2spring on the 4th.

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Mandatory-Service-Bulletin

EB16: Cannondale Bad Habit Carbon 27.5+ hits the trails, Lefty upgrade kit & monstrous Moterra e-MTB hits USA

Cheers, Steve

trevron73
    Free Member

Beast of the east was a taller bottom bracket, and lighter as it wasn’t a trail bike, it was a BMX with balls gears and brakes

trevron73
    Free Member

Beast of the east was a taller bottom bracket, and lighter as it wasn’t a trail bike, it was a BMX with balls gears and brakes

mashiehood
    Free Member

My beast of the east got nicked, I still remember shedding a tear

OP- that looks great

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The old Beast does look cool…. maybe I need an old and new….

Cheers, Steve

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yup I like that

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New Toy…Plus size model….’ is closed to new replies.