Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 'New' toy – trials bike content :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

I present to you my 'new' bike, courtesy of CalD on this here forum (thanks guv'ner).

Took the advice of the STW massive and waited for a 26" model, glad I did as I think this was a very good buy for the money! All I need is a 22T bashguard and I'm good to go (don't suppose anyone has one, 4-bolt 104BCD?) 😀

Now I just need to learn how to use it (I can't even get it off the ground yet! 🙄 ). Anyone know of a skills (or is that skillz?) course in the London area?

cheers 8)

JxL
    Free Member

is that a trials bike with a mech??? 😀 IMO waiting for trouble

psychle
    Free Member

I'm sure I'll rip it off at some point, but it's only a cheapo LX one so no great loss. Some folk have suggested to me that having some gears will be a good thing, makes it easier to get around and also good for faster street stuff?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yea get rid of the mech Alfine it! 😉

psychle
    Free Member

yeah yeah yeah… 😀

JxL
    Free Member

I really wouldn't trust a trials bike with gears, not only it could rip off, but also chain could fall off unexpectedly, and if you e.g sidehop (then chain falls off), then kick to get back onto back wheel and woop, flying over handlebars 😉 then there is ghost shifting before front touching into a high wall, possibilities are endless 😀

psychle
    Free Member

don't think I'll be getting up to high for a while… but point taken 🙂 I can always whack a singlespeed conversion kit on it I guess.

Trimix
    Free Member

Leave the mech on till you decide which gear suits your style and terrain.

Plus, you will have to ride it to get anywhere.

psychle
    Free Member

Good point… I don't have a style as yet (I have nothing at all to be honest 😀 ) Need to get some lessons to get started… any thoughts on this STW?

JxL
    Free Member

practice practice and more practice 😛 I used to watch trials videos, good for inspiration and ideas (start off somewhere lower than Mcgaskill or whatever his name)

watch your knees though, I used to ride my 20" mod about 20 miles while standing up, messed up my knees quite badly.

lunge

Get hold of a copy of Tricks and Stunts with Martyn Ashton and Martin Hawes in it, that will give you some tips on the basics.

tails
    Free Member

alright danny "psychle" macaskill 😉

i thought most trials riders used mechs i'm sure the tongue brothers and two martyns did. Also I have a bash ring that well might fit I'll give it a clean measure the BCD and let you know tomorrow day as i just lost my job.

psychle
    Free Member

ah, that's no good mate… hope all goes ok 🙁

let me know about the bashring, if it saves me fattening the coffers of CRC or somesuch all the better.

cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, 26" trials bikes (or certainly used to) have gears, a minimum of 6 working gears for competitions, thats why the hope ProII etc are all available in a "trials" version with a small freehub, the idea being to butcher a 9s cassette by removing the unwanted gears, getting a stronger wheel and saving weight.

20" trials bikes dont as they derived from BMX's and so retained their singlespeedness.

IIRC the rules were relaxed a few years back though to allow stuff like 22 & 24" wheels, suspension forks etc, and I think all bikes are now able to compete against each other (rather than the different comps for differnt bikes)?

tails
    Free Member

yep i'll let you know, and good luck trials looks hard

tails
    Free Member

psychle the bash ring i have is 5 bolt so no good i'm afraid, You been out on her yet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘'New' toy – trials bike content :-)’ is closed to new replies.