Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New toy for the bikepackers
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I like the look of this, but think I’d need to see one in the flesh in action first.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Like it.

But I already have a hammock which weighs sod all.

And a tent, which weighs about the same as that.

And a bivi bag somewhere between the two.

I can see the appeal for a longer trip to get some variety though (hammocks being the preferred option but not always practical).

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve never tried hammock bivvying.
    Ive alwyas gone with an army bag on the ground, with an air mat inside the bag, and a tarp on a stick if I need to keep my head out of the rain (although I have also been none to stick my head in my rucksack when I havent taken my micro tarp with me 😳 )

benp1

Hammocking is very comfy, but it’s slightly more faff and obviously needs trees, which isn’t always helpful!

trail_rat
    Free Member

nice principal but the end result is quite bulky and cover too many areas all at once , your always carrying redundancy.

I have no issue carrying the floor sleeping stuff only.

How ever i am hammock curious – but if i was doing a hammock i would plan my trip to a wooded area 😀

lyrikal
    Free Member

Looks quite good in that it seems like a usable tent when no handy trees can be found, doesn’t seem to pack down terribly small though? Would be fine in panniers but not great for a saddle bag.

fasthaggis

Hammocking is very comfy, but it’s slightly more faff and obviously needs trees, which isn’t always helpful!

Benp1
    So, no sore back?,I always wondered what sleeping in a curve might do to dodgy back owners.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends what the hoops are, if they’re just normal poles then you could pack the fabric in a frame bag as normal and tie the poles to the frame. If it’s pop up tent style coiled up hoops then it’s more difficult.

That said, 1.2kg, you’d not notice that on your back if it could be fit into a comfortable pack.

So, no sore back?,I always wondered what sleeping in a curve might do to dodgy back owners.

Fine for me, I found I tended to wake up and shuffle over the other way in the middle of the night, or get up and stretch my legs, have a brew etc. But then I do that in my own bed, and plenty of people will tell you that sleeping for 8 hours isn’t natural anyway.

Think of it this way, hammocks were the de-facto sleeping arrangement on ships until steam arrived, and entire continents of (rural at least) people still use them in preference to mattresses.

STATO
    Free Member

Its interesting but there are many points that I cant work out.

How does the ‘tent’ stay tensioned when on the bivy, your weight will either tear the fabric if its tight or create lots of slack, pretty much as shown on in the pic of the guy lying in it.

240cm length, that’s pretty short for a tent which tapers at each end, most tents are 220cm in the sleeping areas alone, maybe not for me at 6ft4.

Vents window on the top, shielded by the slight overhang of the poles, but its not much.

Biggest issue, it has a bug net but watching the video of when they pitch it on the ground (1min55), the base (hammock fabric) is only attached to the tent at the sides, the ends are not attached, so a big space for all the bugs to come in. Does anyone see anything that says/shows this otherwise?

I quite like the idea, adds a few things my Hennessey hammock is missing, but its too short for my height and potentially missing a few key points like the mossie protection.

cokie

[bike packing amateur]
    Do you not get very cold with airflow surrounding you 360′?
    At least with the ground you get some additional shelter and warmth from the roll mat?
    [/bike packing amateur]

STATO
    Free Member

You still need to use a mat cokie, or as you suggest, get cold backside.

thepodge
    Free Member

Someone on here linked to a hammock blog, I think it was their own but may have been a family member’s. It was a very informative read and made me want to try it but I forget the link now.

AlexSimon

Do you not get very cold with airflow surrounding you 360′?
    At least with the ground you get some additional shelter and warmth from the roll mat?

You can either use a mat inside the hammock, or a quilt on the outside. The quilt is really nice as you never compress it (because it’s outside), so it’s always at maximum loft. My synthetic Snugpac-made one is too heavy and bulky though. So normally, I use a very thin decathlon silvered karrimat-type thin thing that weighs 210g and cost about £4

I don’t like the op hammock – trying to do too much and looks bulky when packed (unless that’s a tiny backpack). But mainly, I personally prefer hammocks that let you lie diagonally (asymetric) as you can get flatter and sleep on side as well as back.

Here’s me and my youngest from last week:

Hammock + everything to hang it 590g
    Large tarp: DD Hammocks + everything to hang it 850g fits over 2 hammocks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Short mat to cover the bits of your body in contact with the hammock, and a sleeping bag.

I did wonder if it would be possible to make an insulating hammock. One hammock stretched tight and taking the strain, and a baggy + baffled outer layer outer layer with some wadding in between.

AlexSimon

I did wonder if it would be possible to make an insulating hammock. One hammock stretched tight and taking the strain, and a baggy + baffled outer layer outer layer with some wadding in between.

As mentioned hammock underquilts are very common and popular.

benp1

If I used my hammock more I’d get an underquilt, mat is fine if you don’t use it much. Particularly when it’s slightly warmer

No bad back at all, which was a revelation. But you need to be able to pitch the hammock well, you sleep diagonally so it’s a flatter lie, you don’t want to sleep in a banana position ideally.

The gentle rocking is nice too.

But I have a Hennessy and it involves a fair bit of faff getting initially comfy. It’s bliss once you’re in it though!

Might break it out again next month

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

This is very cool, Sadly I am a luddite and don’t like to stray form my normal tent.

I do love a hammock through, but being at the mercy of tree placement irritates me too much to use one.

scaled
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCpnt_152Q#action=share[/video]

You could just get a 4 season jungle hammock at 1.3KG

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New toy for the bikepackers’ is closed to new replies.