Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 587 total)
  • New Top Gear series…
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Best yet, still not as funny as some of the old ones but getting better.

Star in a car is getting better, TBH i think some of why it didn’t work the last few weeks is just unfamiliarity with the new track, hard to get excited if you can’t see what’s fast/slow. Still hate the bloody autocue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TOO
    MANY
    GUESTS!

Otherwise, fun.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well that was..

hora
    Free Member

I watched American Werewolf in London instead. Sunday night is now film night.

edhornby

Eddie Jordan needs to be dumped from the show ASAP, otherwise not bad, it’s only telly

johndoh
    Free Member

Mmmm Jenny Agutter in a shower.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed re. Eddie Jordan and not keen on Sabine either.

Matt Le Blanc is doing pretty well though.

For me tonight’s was better than last week. Just.

brakes
    Free Member

Vulcan is a GT race car so why not talk about its abilities as such rather than the usual whooping, gurning and drifting shots?
    The Tesla article should have been good, but introducing it by comparing it to the Model T when it’s a £90k car was silly.
    The challenge was the usual hackneyed crock. Celebrity chefs FFS? Looking forward to next week’s challenge where Mary Berry darns a pair of socks in the boot of a Morris Oxford.
    The rest I fast forwarded through.
    Shit.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t think this episode was anywhere near as good as last weeks. Evans adds nothing and needs to disappear. Star in a reasonably priced car was too long and boring. The challenge was also rubbish. That Vulcan was something else though.

peteimpreza

Thank you beamers

Speeder

Thought tonight’s was quite good if you discount the EJ bits, the SS bits, the CE bits and the challenge. It’s getting there.

convert

I’m won over that the show has a future. EJ & SS I could live without and the fake race element of the challenges seem even more of a weak inessential strap on than on the old show but it’s growing on me as light work avoidance iplayer viewing.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Really dull – again.

I do like Matt and Chris. The others are just boring.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Once again the challenge was a total waste of time as it lacked any car journalism, other than a single line about the cars/bikes at the start, there was no information about what it’s like to buy or run a (relatively) old and cheap luxury car/bike. I find EJ uncomfatble to watch and SS can drive, but is shite at presenting (they’d have been better off giving SS the stig’s job)

servo
    Free Member

Worst episode so far 😕

Vulcan is just a virtual racing car 😯 Like lots of other similar cars.

Any program with cooking\food\chefs is a big turn off for me. Fast forward 😥

Star in a car is far too long as well.

jimjam
    Free Member

The Aston Vulcan section was excellent, if a bit short and dumbed-down compared to Harris’ own videos. The Tesla part was good too, although a little cringey in places.

Skipped through the challenge and SIARC parts which just looked dire.

Oh and I think I’ve figured out what is so off putting about Evans (apart from being 50 and dressing like a teenage rent boy)….it’s his hair. He must be dying it to retain his trademark gingerness. Just looks creepy and weird. Weirder.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Can’t be doing with the high fives and hugging!
    Star in a rather overpriced mini is too long, get rid of the two personalities, get rid of the car history and just have a celeb hooning around the track plus a bit of chit chat.
    Otherwise it seems to be settling down.
    Still can’t stand Evans though.

johndoh
    Free Member

It also annoyed me that they put the time up for the Vulcan but didn’t say what the fastest ‘legal’ time is as a point of reference.

Anyone know?

sharkbait
    Free Member

1:13.8 or something (it was on the board) – not ‘that’ quick.

[unless I’ve got your question wrong]

iain1775
    Free Member

This thread amuses me, half the people disliking the show because it’s too much like old top gear, with no serious motoring journalism and the other half disliking it because they are trying to keep to the same formula
    They couldn’t win whatever they did

I find it inoffensive light entertainment with an under running car theme and some characters I like more than others (not fussed by Evans, don’t like Jordan, quite like Sabines ‘germanness’, the friends guy and Harris are both good)
    In other words, pretty much the same format as this forum
    If I wanted serious reviews of cars Top gear would never have been my first port of call, likewise if I wanted an hour of belly laughs I would look elsewhere but as a way of passing an hour on an otherwise lazy Sunday evening, distracting myself from thinking about the return to work the next day it’s pretty much fine, and certainly more watchable than it had become with Clarkson and Hammond (May excluded he was good and I think would still fit well into the new show)

sadmadalan

I quite like the ‘new’ version and thought that the last episode (4) was the best so far. It is a harmless hour of TV with a car theme. if you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

May excluded he was good and I think would still fit well into the new show

I agree with everything you say there – now if JM could come back as the anchor that would be great.

M6TTF
    Free Member

i think it would be better if they dropped all the old and frankly tired catchphrases, ‘some say….’ be new presenters, bring their own personalities, indent try to be clones of the old guard. watchable, but i record it so i can skip the shit.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I watched the show for the first time last night. I did try, but I just can’t watch it with Chris Evans. He’s like a 60yr old man dressing, and oddly sounding, like a schoolboy. Rest of the show seems fine, but with him front and centre it just won’t work for me, ymmv of course.

Drac

Watching it now. Chris Harris impression of James May presenting was better than his dull style last week,

the-muffin-man

I watched it last night and it entertained me for an hour – so job done! 😀

buckster
    Free Member

Part of the problem is the old show evolved from brand new and exciting into comfy trainers. Then the new shoe is new trainers trying to be comfy trainers so I find it awkward to watch. Evans is not right as nothing he says is original, he is best when he is original, and he looks daft too. The US chap sounds daft, get rid of Evans and the US chap and I reckon it would work way better with the German and the two others whose names Ive no clue. I think the German lass is/has been the stig before?

The Vulcan is to be sold in limited numbers according to the show which I guess makes it a production car? Maybe that would mean AM could race a ‘race version’ at Le Mans and have give Ford/Ferrari etc a proper battering?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The final straw for me was when they changed the challenge trip into a full on race at the last minute, seemed weak and desperate.

Biggest disappointment is the show being a re-tread of the old TG and Evans struggling to stop impersonating Clarkson. Evans made stupendous millions when he was young by taking on tired enterprises and breathing new life into them (and then selling them for 10 times what he’d paid for them). I don’t listen to his radio show but it looks like he’s either lost his golden touch or bottled it with such a big brand.

jerseychaz

I’ve suffered the three episodes – if this was a brand new show with no history still wouldn’t like it! There’s no chemistry between the presenters, essential on these shows with multiple staff. The scripting is dire and the ad libs awful. When you put it up against the previous three middle aged men cocking around with some car content its woeful as they try and ape the relationship built over 21 series. I know it makes (made) shed loads of cash for the BBC but they really should have put it down quietly when Clarkson decided to resign in an unorthodox manner!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m warming to it. To be completely fair, the chemistry between Clarkson, May and Hammond took years to develop so you can’t expect the same camaraderie after four episodes with new hosts.

Chris Harris is absolutely bloody brilliant though, he is the star of it all for me.

Sabine…well, as I mentioned once before I had a Teutonic fling in my mid teens so a tall, blonde lass who says “Jah!” a lot automatically gets my approval. However, she’s beginning to get on my tits. I’ve found some of the early TG extra dialogue between her and Rory Reid to be excruciating – I swear she told him that if she took him around the track, she’d “make [him] pale”. I sucked air through my teeth at that.

And there’s Eddie. At least we know he’s good with spoons.

mefty
    Free Member

Evans made stupendous millions when he was young by taking on tired enterprises and breathing new life into them (and then selling them for 10 times what he’d paid for them).

But Top Gear was at the top of its game financially, hence the caution, I don’t watch it but if they manage the decline that will produce a decent financial result – foreign sales being the key rather than UK audience.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s an hours car based entertainment. Which is fine by me. Done bits better than others, same as a lot of shows.

Not convinced Eddie Jordan is needed, and not sure why but somewhat disappointed with Sabine. Seems to be playing the token female/German too much perhaps? Not as natural as her previous appearances.

Loving Matt taking over the lead from Evans though. Always the plan perhaps?

jambalaya
    Free Member

2.3m viewers. I forsee substantially below 2m (heading for 1.5m?)) by end of series then another rehash. I can’t see foreign broadcasters taking up expensive options, they’ll want to renegotiate lower on price.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Mefty- agree which is why it made Evans an odd choice if you’re going for cautious continuity. Like hiring Heston Blumenthal to cook a microwave meal.

The size of the team always seemed to be hedging their bets, if say Sabine or Eddy J prove unpopular they can be quietly phased out with minimal impact.

Evans suggested the Aston segment was the best track segment ever. It wasn’t even the best hyper car on a foreign F1 circuit, it had nothing that the bonkers Lambo in Monaco hadn’t done. Nice noise though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ imho the right move

hora
    Free Member

Any film recommendations for my film night on Sunday night?

They can cut his role as much as they want, it still has a weird, dull feel to it.

rachelmh
    Free Member

hora – Do agree with you there, I mainly watched top gear for the comments made by Clarkson, May and Hammond and loved watching them winding each other up.

I get it’ll take a while for the new guys to build that chemistry, but don’t think it will ever be as good as it was.

Drac

More Chris Harris?

I’ll be like watching 80s repeats of Top Gear without the bad fashion.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 587 total)

The topic ‘New Top Gear series…’ is closed to new replies.