Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • New toll system on the Severn Bridges proposed.
  • CountZero

On the news tonight, it’s being proposed that the toll-booths will be removed, and tolls will be collected in both directions via number-plate recognition, with the toll set at around £1.90-ish each way.
    Now, I’m fine with reducing the cost by around half of what it currently is, as the bridges still have to be maintained, and that costs money, and it certainly does seem fairer to pay for each trip across, but using number-plate recognition seems to have some issues, like charging foreign vehicles, and vehicles carrying trade-plates, which is my situation, because the cars I drive back and forth across the bridges often have no tax or insurance, that’s covered by the trade plates, but would the ANPR system work with them? It would certainly make my job so much easier not having to stop, pay the toll then have to claim it back when I send my time sheet in. 😀

cookeaa

Would/could it be used to catch any untaxed/uninsured drivers?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Would it be able to laugh at comedic private plates (they’re not private if you have to contort the digits)?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tom200

Dartford crossing does this, bit like the congestion charge for payment. So long as it’s cheaper I am in, nearly £15 in a van!

molgrips
    Free Member

If you were designing an APNR system, would you make it so that it could handle trade plates?

andyl
    Free Member

hmm, I bet these new cameras and systems will have to come at the expense of people using it instead of just doing as they promised: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35812565

P-Jay
    Free Member

On balance I’m happy to let a few foreigners and motortraders through if lifts the traffic a bit, what’s it going to be? 5%, less?

I think it reverts back to public ownership soon, hence the toll reduction.

bikebouy
    Free Member

As mentioned, Dartford crossing changed last year .. caused a bit of angst..caught quite a few untaxed/insured/mot’d folks out and going by the news feeds has no problem charging them thier foreigners… plenty of truckers complained initially, but now they just carry on surfing pron on thier iPads as they blat over the bridge.

Honestly, I see no problem with ANPR charging. If it catches some folks out for not being legal then that’s a bonus. Also, glad the charge is both ways. I’ve never understood why the Welsh never got charged.

I’m waiting for the bridge over the Solent to the IOW to be built.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@BikeBouy?

Who told you about the ‘Welsh Expemption’? I’m sure a Welsh registered car will be able to claim free crossings as easy as showing ID to the toll takers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, I “thought” the charge was only going “in” to Wales. So no charge coming out, which I think is very odd.

Happy to prove being wrong, I don’t go to Wales.

fadda

Don’t most people cross both ways anyway? Once to visit, and back the other way to return to their miserable English homes…? 😉 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh you’re right – there’s only tolls one way, there was a study that showed that the number of people who leave Wales and never return is tiny, like 0.1% basically people who die on holiday.

Whereas quite a few people come to Wales and never leave – 1-2% it’s the views I think.

But still 99% of people who go one way, end up coming back at one point or other so it’s more efficient to just charge one way.

I thought you meant to ‘special’ EU development grant which means if you live in Wales you don’t have to pay, you can either show ID on the toll or get a Tag. It’s not well publicised for obvious reason!

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why the Welsh never got charged.

Love it when people say this. Obviously us Welsh love England so much we never come back home once we cross the bridge 😀
    Think the idea is great I’m all for it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea.

I wouldn’t trust the cheaper argument for a second, it will soon be the same or higher. They will have the ability to charge vans / trucks differently I would imagine.

@bikeboiy how do they charge foreigner plate cars, how do they pursue them for non-payment. Allegedly they don’t pursue foreign registered vehicles for the congestion charge for example.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have one objection. I bet it would include motorcycles which are currently free. About the time the tolls went one way they tried to charge m/c’s but the hassle of waiting for a rider to take off gloves, unzip a jacket, find a wallet then reverse the process was silly. Can’t se any difference otherwise unless the total cost plummets.
    Bonus if it catches illegals though.

fadda

Wish that Welsh thing were true – I work in Bristol so it would make a flippin’ difference!

taxi25
    Free Member

Always used to pay tolls crossing on a motorbike (old bridge), and your right it was a pain.

molgrips
    Free Member

there was a study that showed that the number of people who leave Wales and never return is tiny, like 0.1%

Also people who leave on the M4 but then come back another way. I often take M4/M5 on the way out if I am going North cos it’s smoother and easier and only slightly longer, but come back on the M50/A40.

Anyway – charging one way isn’t odd at all. Collect basically same amount of money, only employ half the staff, only have to maintain half the machines, barriers and signs, and we only have to stop one way. The definition of win/win.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust the cheaper argument for a second, it will soon be the same or higher. They will have the ability to charge vans / trucks differently I would imagine.

They currently do, but what it will mean is it gets charged off the official registration of the vehicle so all those who put a window in their van and pretend it’s a camper will pay full fare, it’s probably a valid claim to have a personal use designation for some vans.
    Better than the French Toll version which simply worked on height.

A simple integrated system would probably be to share the toll collecting data across all roads (m6 toll etc) and the ports as a final collection – no boarding with outstanding tolls.

CountZero

Interesting to see the general take is positive. Using trade plates I guess they’ll be read just like any other plate, they’re DoT issued anyway, so payment will be met by whoever has the plates issued to them, which will certainly make things much easier going backwards and forwards, the only thing is that placement of plates may become more crucial; as agency drivers, our plates have no external fittings, so they get stuck inside the front and rear windows, but some cars design makes the rear placement very awkward.
    Still, it’s just getting used to how the system operates and working with it. Not having to pay for my own ticket whenever I take a car across on business will make my life easier! 😀
    And halving the cost makes life easier for everyone using the bridges as well.

welshfarmer

If I have to go to that there London place, I usually go up via the M4/Severn Bridge and come back via Swindon-Cirencester-Gloucester-A40 😀

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I thought trade plates had to be at either end of the vehicle as only the bit between was insured?

Edit its against the law to display trade plates in windows. They need to replace the number plates so originals not visible. Google working well (dad and grandad were both in the trade)

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m all for it, stopping for tolls is a bit bizarre in this day and age. If they also use it to report uninsured drivers etc then so much the better.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve never seen the stats for the Dartford crossing charging Foreigners for the privilege, simply hearsay.
    Also the Severn Bridge, it’s well known a lot of folks use the alternative route and not the bridge when going back into Wales.
    I really should come back one day to South Wales, a lot of my riding and surfing mates keep on about how lovely the area is, maybe one day…

Dickyboy

I bet it would include motorcycles which are currently free. About the time the tolls went one way they tried to charge m/c’s but the hassle of waiting for a rider to take off gloves, unzip a jacket, find a wallet then reverse the process was silly.

Still free for motorcycles on the dartford crossing so I doubt they would start charging on the severn bridge, plus use of forward facing cameras…

garage-dweller

If it works like Dartford then that would be great. Just don’t go to South Wales that way while they’re tearing all the old booths out. I think they did a decent job of managing the works at Dartford at the time but it was still very unpleasant.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Also the Severn Bridge, it’s well known a lot of folks use the alternative route and not the bridge when going back into Wales.

Really? I used to do it sometimes when I was about 20 but it adds a lot of time and distance so what you spend more on fuel than you save on the toll. (Without accounting for your Time).

I think “lots of folks” would be “almost no one”.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I drove across at a busy time recently – I suspect the main incentive is to increase the flow. Jams up badly at the booths sometimes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

But folks still use the M48…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve never seen the stats for the Dartford crossing charging Foreigners for the privilege, simply hearsay.

Personal,(and friends) experience says that apart from the super efficient Swiss cross border charging (inc speeding tickets) doesn’t happen

I would have number plate recognition and a barrier, if system doesn’t recognise your plate barrier doesn’t open and you have to pay cash/card. Any vehicles with unpaid tolls are blocked till past due toll paid.

The Singaporeans have a fabulous (in terms of working) system with small dashboard box (inc motorbikes) which collects tolls and car park charges. Downside is every vhicle has to buy and install one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but the jam is always much worse at Newport anyway.

T1000
    Free Member

Maybe it’s time for a Vignette for vehicles from overseas, freeflow tolling system would just treat the registered vehicle in a similar way to a TAG

Retaining Barriers would negate the benefits of getting rid of the toll booths

cchris2lou

When traffic free Dartford is a lot easier. Not very often.
    I don’t think they charge foreign drivers. They worked out it is cheaper to get rid of the tolls ( and people) than to charge foreign drivers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ pretty sure that’ll be in place in the next few years 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

The ANPR cameras will never read trade plates that are on the dashboard facing the sky 😉

And for the trade plates experts. Can a cardealer use a trade plate on a car they are trying to sell for test drives by a potential customer ?

ransos
    Free Member

The old crossing is currently free.

molgrips
    Free Member

What?

eskay

Yes, what?? How long for?

ransos
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh that’s a great gag, well done.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘New toll system on the Severn Bridges proposed.’ is closed to new replies.