Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New to Wilmslow and looking for XC trails
  • jonmick
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve recently moved up to Wilmslow and have yet to get out on the trails. Can anyone recommend any around here?

Garry_Lager

There’s some stuff around styal along the Bollin valley for doorstep stuff, but it’s a small area – just for messing about AFAICT [ridden there once so don’t know it well].
    For more substantial riding then both Macc forest and the Goyt valley are probably the nearest Peak areas – loads of trails there, and beyond you have the whole national park to explore. The best Goyt stuff is all footpaths and gets a lot weekend walkers, so is less hassle to ride when it’s quiet.

jonmick
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks. In fact am currently renting in Styal so I’ll try the Bollin trails. I’m intending to buy somewhere within the dark peak area and in or around Hayfield looks a good choice – any comments about the trails there?

wittonweavers
    Free Member
    jekkyl

I’d say Hayfield is pretty bang on for trails from your door, it’s a lovely area. I also know at least 2 people who MTB and live there and their strava feed always has a lot of altitude within a short space of time from the start of their rides.

MartynS

We live in New Mills, which is 3 miles from hayfield. It’s pretty much ideal for our riding. From the door there’s loads round marple, we can get over to edale, or out to Buxton. There’s loads of choices!

Hayfield is a very small village. It depends on what things you want near by. Also if you are commuting where are you going to? The traffic into Manchester can be brutal, there is a bus service from hayfield but no station.

vickypea
    Free Member

We do lots of riding from Hayfield- I’d recommend it!

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Have a look at (the controversial) Strava heatmap…

monksie
    Free Member

The woods around Alderly Edge are very good for cyclocross riding. Quite tame for mountain biking and really only for night rides. The locals go bat shit mental if they catch you biking in there.
    Call in to Royles (at the posh gym on the A34). One of the guys rides with Hayfield Hub.
    Other than that, Macc. Forest as noted above is about the nearest to you. I can’t even think of a decent off road ride from Wilmslow to Macc.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The trails around Hayfield are ace and you’ll certainly feel like you’ve earned your pint at the end. Lovely village too and don’t let the comments about it being small put you off. It’s actually a decent size with more than one pub, village shop(s), cricket pitch, old railway tracks converted to cycleways for when you want an easier ride and some of the most stunning Peak District countryside on your doorstep. I’d happily live there but I can appreciate it must be hellish to commute to Manchester.

monksie
    Free Member

carlos
    Free Member

Grew up in Wilmslow and rode pretty much everywhere on the BMX and everything round Styal, Wilmslow and Alderley Edge is either owned by the NT or are footpaths, so very cheeky, also plenty of steps so not great for flow. Best to get in the car and in 25 mins, be over in Macc Forest.

Carlos

Bunnyhop

There are a few bws around Wilmslsow but they are quite flat, mostly around the old tip, not far from Mobberley and out that way.

As mentioned above the best proper riding is in the Dark Peak or more locally Marple and New Mills.

crazy-legs

The woods around Alderly Edge are very good for cyclocross riding. Quite tame for mountain biking and really only for night rides. The locals go bat shit mental if they catch you biking in there.

Really? I’ve obviously been looking in the wrong places…
    Any more info?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Macc forest or into the peak . North wales not too far away, but peak is pretty much on the doorstep.

jonmick
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Plenty to think about and to top it all, we’ve just bought a place in a Rowarth which from what you say, looks ideal for getting onto some decent trails.

monksie
    Free Member

James. Other side of the road from The Edge. Loads of fun.

vickypea
    Free Member

Lots of trails near Rowath, we often ride through that area!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New to Wilmslow and looking for XC trails’ is closed to new replies.