Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • New to the Mendips – route advice/other riders
  • jti26
    Free Member

Hi,
    I moved to Wells fairly recently and a couple of weekends back my girlfriend was talking to a rider up at Stockhill, who mentioned a few local places to ride, as well as the possibility of meeting up for a ride. He said to post on here. If you were that rider, or if you are local and fancy meeting up for a ride, let me know!

transapp
    Free Member

I wasn’t that rider, however, there are some great routes over the mendips. Try starting at the bottom of the Cheddar gorge, then go up (you can do Jacobs Ladder, but you’ll walk most of it), turn left at the top through Velvet Bottom, over to the trig point (Black Down I think), from which you can head down towards Christmas trees and Rowbarrow downhills. of Burrington for some sweet singletrack. All of which will put a smile on your face!. From any of the downhills, head back up and you’ll find decent trails before going back over the top, through Velvet and then down Jacobs.
    It makes a lot more sense when you look on a map (google the specifics I’ve mentioned), or failing that, fancy a meet up for a ride?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That sounds suspiciously like the alarmingly social Buzz-lightyear. I’m sure he’ll be along shortly.

Maybe out on sunday on mendip. It depends on whether Clink and I decide on the Quantocks or more local.

All welcome. It might be touch early for some though…

jti26
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’ll head out to Cheddar with the OS map and give the suggested route a try; just seen someone’s video of the Burrington Coombe bit on youtube and it looks fantastic – guess I’ll be spoiled for good riding round here then!
    Transapp – meeting up for a ride sounds good, did you have any time in mind?

Duffer
    Free Member

There’s a group of us local to the mendips, but it’s suffered from the weather badly this year. We’ve been spending more time on the Quantocs or in wales of late.

We tend to ride once or twice during the week, and on sunday mornings. Give us a shout if you fancy it, and we’ll show you some of the area.

PS – Burrington coombe is a challenging climb (we sometimes start from there) but it’s not that good of a decent really – fast, but largely uneventful. There is much better stuff in the area 🙂

jti26
    Free Member

Duffer,
    Cheers, yep, I’d be up for joining your group for some Sunday morning rides if that’s OK. Probably can’t make weeknights, as working hours mean getting home a bit late (and commuting diguised as a roadie!) Are you around this Sun?

rockfield
    Free Member

I would recommend going over to see Box at Bad Ass Bikes (the shop at bottom of burrington coombe) He can give you all the trail advice you need and even has a handy little trail map. He’s closed on Sunday though, so you need to go tomorrow! Theres loads of good stuff in Rowberrow woods which is dead easy to find. It might have finally dried out a bit by now as well!

longwayhome
    Free Member

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~davend/fat_tyre.jpg

Mail me and I’ll send you a pdf

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

“Jacobs Ladder” ?! Surely people mean the bridleway that runs from the south side of the top of the gorge down into Cheddar, past the tower, rather than the ladder itself….. Never ridden / pushed up or down the actual ladder and dont you have to pay at the bottom gate? Surely very cheeky too?

jt26, Beacon Batch trig point, NE towards Ellick House (on the 25k map) then W along Limestone link is one of my favourite trails anyway. About 6km downhill to the A38 – stunning use of 300m of height.

Hopefully Rowberrow should be starting to dry out a little too…..

oldfart

Isn’t Velvet Bottom off limits bike wise ?

Duffer
    Free Member

jti26 – Member
    Duffer,
    Cheers, yep, I’d be up for joining your group for some Sunday morning rides if that’s OK. Probably can’t make weeknights, as working hours mean getting home a bit late (and commuting diguised as a roadie!) Are you around this Sun?

Not around this sunday i’m afraid, but i’ll be out next week. i’ll let you know place/time etc.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“That sounds suspiciously like the alarmingly social Buzz-lightyear”

It was me Guvnor, guilty as charged 😀

Am hoping to join Clink and ScienceOfficer on the Qs this Sunday morning. Why not join in? I’d be happy to show you local Mendip trails when available. My email is in my profile. Ping me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Jti: me and clink are meeting at stockhill wood tomorrow at 8.30. Come along.

nicksee
    Free Member

Hello all, new to forum myself but a local(ish) rider from Frome. Had a nice ride from burrington up to rowberrow and around the blackdown area this morning. Trails are drying up well with a few boggy areas up near the trig point. Have fun 🙂

Oh, and warrens hill bridle way down into cheddar was a blast but the climb back up the gorge to charterhouse was evil, helped by fig rolls!

jti26
    Free Member

Mr Lightyear; just snt you an e-mail, then saw your next post. So please ignore the e-mail! Will aim to see you at Stockhill in the morning.
    Thanks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“turn left at the top through Velvet Bottom”

A word of caution to anyone reading this – VB is a FP and considered a sensitive area where cyclists are not welcomed by the authorities. It’s also popular with hikers and dog walkers. Stealth is recommended.

jti26
    Free Member

Thanks all, I followed the advice on here and had a great ride round Beacon Batch and Rowberrow on Sat, then met Buzz & Clink for a ride this morning. Excellent advice and good trails, thanks everyone!

Clink

Great to meet you – hope to ride again soon.

snaps
    Free Member

What were the conditions like up there? Quantocks were surprisingly sticky yesterday, must have been the frost.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Same here. See you again soon.

jti26
    Free Member

Conditions up at Beacon Batch/Rowberrow were pretty good; surprisingly dry in most places, with a few wet bits but nothing unridable.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Current forecasts leading up to next weekend look like fine weather for the Mendips (Thursday is the blip). Trail quality should not degrade.

Hmm, I wonder if we could do Cheddar next Sunday? That would be a proper test of your new suspension fork clink 🙂

Clink

Sounds like a plan 🙂 Daughter is in swim comp – might need to negotiate!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Excuse me? May I play with the big boys? 😕

I was solo today. Cracking weather. I spent myself on the flanks of Shute Shelve, Rose Wood and Witches wood.

Excuse the shite phone pics, but you get the idea.

Smashing stuff. 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Enjoying your big bike again Colin? I bet you fly down Witches Wood. Those trail conditions look nice and dry too. It might be time to blow the dust off my bouncy bike.

Clink

Sorry Colin – I thought you were the big boy! 😆 All those lovely moving parts!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Enough talk of my big boys moving parts? ! 😯 😳

Its the true that the fat bike had me grinning like a buffoon today, but, to be fair, I do that on the thin bike too.

Leaf litter is still quite deep, which is fun with the rocks and roots underneath, but the ground is pretty much dry!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Interesting, is there much riding to be had in Rose Wood or on the rest of Shute Shelve (West of Cheddar Wood)? I’d be very interested in ways of connecting trails like Yogurt and Badgers to Crook Peak without waiting on possible upgrades to bridleways in that area…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nothing legal agent. Mostly its connecting off piste stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m another new person to the area – just finishing my new bike but found I need a conventional type front mech (grrr) and then I would love to be shown around. Have been familiarising myself with the area out on dog walks.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its all good. Sunday mornings is when. Time depends on Clink and Buzz.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Have been familiarising myself with the area out on dog walks”

Good plan. We can point out good trails, how best to connect them and any stealth requirements.

“waiting on possible upgrades to bridleways in that area”

If you mean Winscombe Drove, don’t wait! Evidence of use is key to the upgrade process.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s fine now, but the weekend weather forecast for the Mendip area looks like rain. Best to leave the Cheddar ride for another day and do something else in the area IMO.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I would be out but have kids rugby in Bristol, only 4 more weeks then back to normal

Clink

4 more weeks then back to normal

Looking forward to having you back! 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Weekend forecast for the Mendip improved considerably. No Rain and partial sunshine forecast.

So, is Cheddar back on for Sunday?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

what plans for Cheddar?

Clink

plans for Cheddar you say?!?

beargotsoul

Rode up there last night really dry, only the bottom of Rowberrow still a little soggy, top of Blackdown riding almost like summer!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK.

Cheddar Gorge ride this Sunday.

Meet at: On the Cheddar Gorge road above the pay car parks. About 2/3rds up you’ll see a bus turning area and a walled off hillock on the right. Directly opposite on the left is a large free parking bay below a small quarry, meet there. 8:30AM SUNDAY

Ride will do: down Cheddar gorge trail, up Warrens Hill (ouch), down Badgers, up Yoghurt, down Witches Wood and back to the start on the road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘New to the Mendips – route advice/other riders’ is closed to new replies.