Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • New to the darkside of ROAD riding
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Not taking the Mick now, I think Stef might be onto a winner for you. Something cross, tourer or monster cross based? Look at the salsa Fargo for example. I bought a Van Dessel WTF recently but now I’m thinking of that as my do it all off road bike and selling the MTB and getting a road bike. While I was in Evans the other day they had a Scott Alfine with belt drive reduced which looked lush straight bars in all!

RustySpanner

weeksy, you owe me half an hour of my life! 😀

Bez – Member

Jeez, he tried it and didn’t like it, what’s the problem?

No he didn’t, he sat on a road bike in a bike shop and contracted a severe case of big girl’s blouse. 🙂

Seriously weeksy, you should have a night out with kryton57 – you could both stand at the bar all night deciding which beer you’re not going to drink. 😀

weeksy

I’ll buy both you and shed a Babycham 🙂

I’m still not buying a road bike though.

snakebite
    Free Member

I had a flat bar roadrat for a couple of years as a commuter, and did the odd longer ride too, even got real skinny tyres on it and it made a huge difference to speed. I then borrowed a state of the art Cervelo with state of the art dura-ace etc, and did 30 miles or so on it, felt fast but very unstable (to me) and quite scary-thought it wasn’t for me narrow bars compared to my 760mm etc 8O. Sold my rat and went back to a hardtail and FS for a couple of years but with this lousy summer took the plunge and got a nice carbon Defy advanced 2 … at the price I got it, I couldn’t lose out if I sold it on. First two or three rides and I slowly got used to the position, stability etc to the point where 3 weeks in and it feels quite natural now. Last night I went out with proper roadies for a midweek ’50 miler 😳 and really enjoyed it, the intensity was much higher than I anticipated, but at the end of the ride, I was informed that they don’t normally go that fast all of the time….. 😈 they were toying with a MTB’r!

weeksy

First two or three rides and I slowly got used to the position, stability etc to the point where 3 weeks in and it feels quite natural now.

Is a very fair point…. but don’t fancy the potential of losing out on a chunk of change if i can’t/don’t make the transition like that.

weeksy

Right you fu&%ers… lol.

I’ve got a Specialized Roubaix arriving tomorrow evening, i have the bike until Monday on demo.

MAybe then you’ll stop whinging at me for not trying it out properly.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Is it the right size?

weeksy

Well, we’ll soon find out, it’s a 58 according to Specialized guy, but if not, they have several other demo bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – LOL.

Bloody timewasters!

😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

you do have some padded shorts? somebody will obviously argue that they are are unnecessary but i think you will find the general consensus is that most people use them on a road bike.

weeksy

you do have some padded shorts? somebody will obviously argue that they are are unnecessary but i think you will find the general consensus is that most people use them on a road bike.

I do yes.

teenrat

How about a Cyclocross bike?

weeksy

I ended up buying a Canfield Yelli Screamy. Which will be run with 140 MArzocchis in it.

The Giant will be used mostly for any road stuff i do, using Maxxis Aspens.

Saldy, on a 1 hour ride yesterday this means my average is only 16.0mph and unless i get a very flat course (of which there are none by me) then that’s about the best i can expect.

However, as i’m not racing anyone apart from my own fitness levels… it matters very little.

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘New to the darkside of ROAD riding’ is closed to new replies.