Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New to smartphones – Galaxy Express 4G or iPhone 4?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So I’ve held out for long enough, and its finally time for me to enter the wonderful world of smartphones 😉

I’m a cheapskate, and not really into the latest tech, so have narrowed it down to Samsung Galaxy Express 4G or iPhone 4 (8GB). Both old models I know, and the price and plan identical with Vodafone.

I’m tending towards the Samsung at the mo, but only cos its 4G so appears slightly more future-proofed?

So what does STW think?

mrmo
    Free Member

depending on where you live, i wouldn’t worry about 4g TBH. Some places will probably never get it!

I had a Galaxy and now have a 4S, i prefer the 4s. Nothing wrong with the Galaxy, did the same things, just prefer the feel of the iphone.

dannybgoode

I know I say it every time a mobile phone thread comes up but do check out the Nokia Lumia range of Windows Phone devices.

They all run very smoothly and WP is coming along very nicely. There’s been a ton of updates recently to both WP itself and Nokia’s core apps which make it very usable indeed.

Get to a mobile phone shop and try a few phones – see what you like the most…

EDIT – also, the very soon to be launched Lumia 625 is well priced and will have 4g if that’s important to you

aphex_2k
    Free Member

In Perth, unless you live and work in CBD I wouldn’t worry about 4G yet as it’s barely out of the city. Having said that, Telstra is apparently the best network for out-in-the-sticks reception.

There’s a “budget” iPhone out soon so perhaps hold on and see if they do any deals, or offer some kind of bargain price for the 4.

Personally, I’d be tempted with a Nexus 4 Android phone bought outright.

zokes
    Free Member

depending on where you live, i wouldn’t worry about 4g

Doesn’t matter if you’ve 4G or not if you’re on Vodafone in Oz. Their idea of coverage is laughable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Voda-what hang on I can’t hear you…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Checked out the Vodafone 4G coverage here in Perth and you’re right, it’s patchy at best, so I guess a 4G phone is no real advantage.

Aphex, yes Telstra do give much better ‘MTB’ coverage, but I’m not willing to pay the premium for it.

Mike, LOL, you’re right, but I’ve been on the Vodafone network for a while now (since it merged with 3) and its not too bad where I live/work. In fact I’d have been happy to just stay on my original 3 plan where you used the Vodafone network where available, and roamed for free on Telstra when not – but the bu@@ers are closing down 3 at the end of this month so I’m forced to find a new provider!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Never had an issue with Vodafail when I was here last time but this time I’m on Optus and it seems fine. Coupled with SpinTel so I’m on wifi as soon as I walk in the door.

Anyone keeping up to speed with NBN? Seems like it’s fibre to the prem with one lot and fibre to the street and copper to the prem with the other lot. Very strange seeing all this here now as I was working with BT when they got the first million users onto ADSL and were talking about fibre to the premises 12 years ago!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your in the plan then you should get fibre to the door, if not then you get MalcNet, seeing as the copper to the house is the rubbish bit then I’m not sold on doing it on the cheap. They seem to be back digging in tassie so we will see what comes to the door.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get a 4 on a new contract, it’s too old and won’t support iOS7 when it comes out soon. Can you not find a 4S or even a 5 on a decent deal, there will be a 5S/6 released soon so those other models should be discounted. A 4 is fine on PAYG or with no contract but IMO it’s not worth locking into an agreement for one.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I know I say it every time a mobile phone thread comes up but do check out the Nokia Lumia range of Windows Phone devices.

Hmm, hadn’t really thought of that, but now you suggested it I had a look and there is a Nokia Lumia 720 for less that the above two phones. And seeing as I’m just going thru the learning process of Windows 8 with my new touchscreen PC, maybe it’d save overloading my poor luddite brain if I went for a phone with the same operating system… 😀

Can you not find a 4S or even a 5 on a decent deal

Unfortunately, here in Oz mobiles are still pretty pricey, blame it on the low population density, or just lack of competition, but its a fact of life living here. 🙁

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not sure about copper to the house being rubbish. It’s what Telewest/Blueyonder/Virgin have in the UK (and have had for something like 12 years). Most don’t live too far from a green box in the street so you don’t have that much copper really. Still, fibre to the prem would be nice and the claimed speed of 1tb should be enough to Skype, stream download and surf without too much drama. The next big factor is how much does all this cost?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nexus 4 is a good price and a great phone. Tiny bit pro-Android here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure about copper to the house being rubbish.

YMMV but it’s where our faults occur when they finally come round and fix them. If the copper is damaged then they plan to replace the cooper with fresh copper rather than fibre.

To create something with a big investment (both are big spends) the more future proof options sounds better to me. As for prices we are looking at similar to current but slightly more if we go for much bigger dl/ul’s we are in the roll out for this year and I’ll be using things like adobe’s cloud as soon as I can.

zokes
    Free Member

The next big factor is how much does all this cost?

Peanuts, in the grand scheme of things, which is why large chunks of first world countries already have it.

As has been said before: an NBN without fibre to the home is like planning a Sydney harbour bridge with only one lane. It’s a significant infrastructure investment for the next century.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh yeah I’m all for it. I just know that it’s gonna cost the end user. I’m lucky to get about 10meg on a good day from my ADSL2 and pay 80 a month unlimited. Australia isn’t known for it’s value – especially over here in WA. If and when we get the NBN any time soon here, I don’t think it’s gonna be a cheap option. Question is, how much would I be willing to pay for >1tb?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

aphex Optus and Telstra both have their prices up. If your not in the plan yet then it depends what happens in September really.

repatriot
    Free Member

Whats the best pay as you go deal for mobiles.
    Moving back in September and will be living on the far south coast of NSW so also need a good country network. We will have our phones from the UK and was told that iPhones won’t work even though they are unlocked, only phones bought direct from Apple will work and ours came from Carphone Wharehouse?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New to smartphones – Galaxy Express 4G or iPhone 4?’ is closed to new replies.