Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New to running advice
  • hora
    Free Member

Well the last time I tried running I had immediate shin-splints (about 3yrs ago). Yesterday I went for a run. No idea on length but probably 4miles. Today my Quads hurt and on both sides of my spine it also has that lactic acid feel running up my back (possible?!).

Anyway- is it ok to get out and run tonight? Run through the soreness and I’ll be alright?

molgrips
    Free Member

Just run/walk, relax, run when you feel comfortable, walk when you don’t. I find that helps after a hard effort then you might come back stronger in a day or two. Don’t commit to a huge loop either 🙂

Cougar

Every other day is conventional wisdom for most exercise.

You’re starting doing something new, I’d start off gently and build up. I’m not surprised you’re picking up injuries if you’re doing four miles from cold.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like actual injuries – just tiredness.

irelanst
    Free Member

Today my Quads hurt and on both sides of my spine it also has that lactic acid feel running up my back (possible?!).

I think you’d be better served doing some core work tonight rather than another run.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is disappointed.

That’s 10 minutes, and Binners hasn’t posted any pics of BH running, being chased by a posse of scantily clad seventies chicks.

That peppery sausage roll from the local bakers, the peppery one, must have been his end…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

IMO 4 miles is too much to start from scratch on, especially if it’s high impact pavement plodding. I’d start first 2 weeks doing a mile or two Max, every other day. Build up from there. I think you’ve just over done it, mtb fitness is completely different muscles and no real impact on your joints.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…is it ok to get out and run tonight? Run through the soreness and I’ll be alright?

it’s possible that you’ve got a great case of DOMS*, and that you’ll feel even more sore tomorrow.

i wouldn’t be in a hurry to go running again until this event has fully played out (3 or 4 days).

(*Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. running is a great way to inflict this on yourself. It can be quite painful and there’s nothing you can do about it – massage won’t help, it will only hurt)

wwaswas

you’ll feel even more sore tomorrow.

It’s when you have to ascend the stairs backwards 3 days later that you know you really over did your first run for a while.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

You probably need to buy some shoes that are a bit too small, they’ll be more chuckable and responsive.

hels
    Free Member

I was told that if you haven’t been running for a while start with five minutes ! Then rest a day and do eight, rest a day then do ten, etc etc. Build up slowly. You need to adapt your body, all the tendons, joints, bones etc not just the muscles, and build up enough strength slowly to support your bones and deal with the impact of running.

Has served me well – never had a running injury.

johndoh
    Free Member

IMO 4 miles is too much to start from scratch on

1000000%

Way, way too much.

How long were you running for?

Junkyard
    Free Member

You probably need to buy some shoes that are a bit too small, they’ll be more chuckable and responsive.

APPLAUDS

chambord
    Free Member

It’s when you have to ascend the stairs backwards 3 days later that you know you really over did your first run for a while.

Haha so true.

I’d take the evening off hora and go for a ride instead.

McHamish
    Free Member

I used to suffer from shin splints, and as a result I didn’t run (one of the reasons I got into biking).

Early last year I decided to do tough mudder and needed to run, I started slowly and started off running 3-5k a few times a week on a treadmill. Then I did the same distance on the road after I was comfortable with that…then I started upping the distance.

I regularly run 9k, and every now and then I run 12k round Richmond park. The furthest I’ve done is around 17k on the road.

I don’t get shin splints at all.

BUT…I moved to a house about 10-15mins walk from the station, and I walk at a brisk pace there and back every day. I did that for a 2-3 months before I started running regularly. I suspect that is the reason for not suffering from shin splints rather than a gradual increase in running distance (which in my case wasn’t particularly scientific).

McHamish
    Free Member

Oh…and I try to use a shorter stride.

I read somewhere that a shorter stride helps deal with heel impact.

I try to land fairly flat, but I don’t land on my toes like many other runners.

That’s something I need to work on one day, but it doesn’t seem to bother me that much.

wors

Start off slow and short. 10 -15 minutes max.

I read somewhere that a shorter stride helps deal with heel impact.

Less pressure on your knees and quads too.

Woody
    Free Member

4 miles after not running for 3 years!! Wondering if the OP missed out the decimal point?

hora
    Free Member

Last weekend I didn’t ride or the one before so I was feeling alittle frustrated..

How long were you running for?

Unsure- I didn’t time it. Just legged it with hora jnr on his bike (5yrs old). I took it very easy though (but didn’t stop or walk at any point).

I’d like to graduate to/do this more off road cross-country though as I hated feeling like I was running on the spot.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from my first run in 20 years..

I did about 400m I reckon.. No twinge from my dodgy leg although I feel that I’ve probably got away with it by the skin of my teeth..
    I’m sitting here now very aware of my body’s alignment but pain free so I’m counting it as a success! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

400m? Blimey I did overdo it. Saying that I love pushing/marching up hills on rides 🙂

jam-bo

nah, they’ll get affected by sidewinds.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Warm up and down involve some stretching and start with smaller runs increasing gradually.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’d like to graduate to/do this more off road cross-country though as I hated feeling like I was running on the spot.

Eh? There’s not some sort of holy decree that says you have to start one way or another, off road running isn’t a dark art. Just start off round your local playing fields. Just take it steady.

hora
    Free Member

Terry Wrist » You probably need to buy some shoes that are a bit too small, they’ll be more chuckable and responsive.

Tsk tsk, you use size guides as just that. On shoes they are charts.

Del

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My advice as a non-runner (I just go out for a walk in shorts and trainers and some, none or all of it may be done at a jog) .

Pick a loop you want to do, 3-5 miles, walk the first mile briskly, then jog a mile, then alternate as is comfortable, i find jogging up hills then walking down gets almost all the fitness benefit but almost none of the impact (running downhill is much higher impact, but much less about fitness). Eventualy you’ll end up jogging the whole loop.

My only reason for that is I really can’t gather the motivation to go for a 5 min run, i could do that in work shoes and clothes before breaking a sweat! At least my way I get to run/walk somewhere and get some fresh air, and it seems to work.

binners

You’re always bloody running around, and I’ve never seen you have any problems. Did you have a stunt double…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUOe_hLg7Bo[/video]

spawnofyorkshire

I was expecting at least some photoshop binners 🙄

Put down the sausage roll and put more effort in

bikebouy
    Free Member

Took me a while to get used to trail running. Didn’t like it much at the start either, but once I got off-road and into the trees/parks/forests I found that I’d naturally slow down, pick my lines and progress from there.
    So, steer clear of wide open spaces, head for singletrack (maybe a short section you do on yer bike) then pace slow, easy and work up to finish the section.
    Takes a while this, don’t rush, pace it out its only you out there enjoying it and don’t forget to look around either, bloody lovely countryside we have here.

HTH

wwaswas

Put down the sausage roll and put more effort in

based on this morning’s thread it might be keeping it down that’s the issue…

nach
    Free Member

Build up slow, pace yourself, and don’t overdo it even if you do get into a zone.

Also, get shoes that are right for your feet and gait: depending on the structure of your foot and whether or not you over-pronate or supinate, different shoes will help or hinder. I used to get loads of running injuries because I was running in shoes that gave too much support and didn’t let my ankles act the way they wanted to. Once I’d tested them (wet footprint test and looking at wear patterns on old shoes), done a bit of research and picked some new shoes, I could suddenly run longer distances without hurting myself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Build up slow, pace yourself, and don’t overdo it even if you do get into a zone.

Also, get shoes that are right for your feet and gait: depending on the structure of your foot and whether or not you over-pronate or supinate, different shoes will help or hinder. I used to get loads of running injuries because I was running in shoes that gave too much support and didn’t let my ankles act the way they wanted to. Once I’d tested them (wet footprint test and looking at wear patterns on old shoes), done a bit of research and picked some new shoes, I could suddenly run longer distances without hurting myself.

Irrelevant, he wants to run trails.

nach
    Free Member

Not irrelevant, because not all trails are soft.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

i find jogging up hills then walking down gets almost all the fitness benefit but almost none of the impact (running downhill is much higher impact, but much less about fitness). Eventualy you’ll end up jogging the whole loop.

This is what I do if I want a quick but hard jog, up the steep start of the Bingley Bash, but up the trails thru St Ives Country Estate, walk back down Altar Lane. Start off walking most of it, gradually working up to jogging all the way, always walking back down (don’t see any benefit in jogging down hill). No science behind it, but I reckon it’s worth twice as much as jogging on the flat.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Running backwards up hill will reverse the effect of DOMS this is a fact!

Pain is weakness leaving the body, this is also a fact.

These facts will help you, they are your friends. 😈

surfer
    Free Member

When Seb Coe was growing up in Sheffield his Dad used to follow him on his runs and meet him at the top of the climbs and drive him down. His father was a very “difficult” man I understand but he was single minded and his sons results bore that out.
    If you are racing on hills you should incorporate the “downs” but I used to run very hard hills sessions with only a slow jog to the bottom but I was running 5/10k’s, track and XC.
    Racing on the fells is a different kettle of fish and you have to be suicidally fast on the descents as that is where the races are won and lost not on the climbs.

gonzy
    Free Member

i used to do a lot of cross country running when i was younger. i was always taught to use a more correct running technique.
    the link below explains it better than i could:
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/the-five-most-common-running-form-mistakes_48731

the bit about heel strikes is probably one of the most important things aspects of getting the right technique

Junkyard
    Free Member

Saying that I love pushing/marching up hills on rides

All of those who have ridden with you will agree wholeheartedly that you do indeed enjoy pushing up hills 😈

Not sure what i did first run about a mile but I did stop – partly as it was advice and partly because i was tired!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New to running advice’ is closed to new replies.