Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New to road biking
  • neilgrubb
    Free Member

I’m a 50 year old ex-runner – I stopped after suffering an unpleasant tibial fracture involving my left knee joint when skiing 3 years ago. My knee has recovered well but I want to avoid hard impact on my knee. I started cycling on an old Marin hybrid bike and now find myself pushing as hard as I can every time I’m out, foolishly trying to keep up with folk half my age on road bikes. Needless to say unsuccessfully and I probably look like a total idiot but I guess my competitive streak is coming out!

Several friends at work cycle regularly but are at much higher fitness level than I am currently. I’d like to buy a road bike and see how I get on with some of the organised events in Scotland, aiming to do the Caledonian Etape next year. I don’t know where to start with bikes or training.

Re bikes I’m considering the Planet X RT58 alloy – weight seems similar to ProCarbon but less cost. I appreciate geometry is different but maybe a more comfortable ride. I’ve also heard that similar but slightly more expensive bikes from Trek and Cannondale are worth considering.

Re training should I build up to a certain level before looking to join a club? I know nothing about the rules and etiquette of group rides. I’m grateful for any advice.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi Neil, the usual answer to which road bike is a giant defy, look at http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Road-Racing for deals.

Whereabouts roughly are you? I’m sure someone on here will be close by, and could help with rides.

wilburt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go too fancy with the first bike, just choose something either endurance(slightly taller headtube) or standard based on your own estimation of your flexibility. Shimano running gear(Sora/Tiagra/105 is fine) and that looks good to you. Budget a couple of hundred for bibs, jersey, shoes, pedals, bottles etc again just basic stuff from Endura or DHB is fine. Also think about a simple gps, they can be motivational.
    Despite what you may read on here most clubs are very welcoming and offer social pace rides as a starting point for new riders.

neilgrubb
    Free Member

I’m in Portobello, Edinburgh. Thanks for advice so far. On the link there are several Giant Defy models – I’ll look at the specs but can you suggest which would fit my needs?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

What is your budget?

neilgrubb
    Free Member

Could go up to £1000 for the bike itself but wondering if I really need to spend to this level – could I get a decent road bike that meets my requirements for say £600 – 700 ?

Bregante

Definitely. The Defy 2 disc looks good at 679. Available in all sizes and Tiagra is a decent groupset. trying one for size is going to be your problem with a mail order company like Paul’s so it may be worth going to a local bike shop once you have some idea what you want, even though you may end up paying a little more.

There’s an identically priced cannondale Synapse disc on there too. Also a great bike.

wilburt
    Free Member

Without turning this into a disc/rim brake thread, standard rim brakes would be my suggestion on a first bike, especially on a budget. There are 2016 bikes available from mail order discounters for £4/500 I would quite happily ride.

mooman
    Free Member

*Join a club. You will hear about somebody selling a bike at s reasonable price.
    See if road cycling is something you like – decide then what fancy bike to get when you know what exactly would suit your needs better.

*dont try to jump into their Sunday/Saturday club ride unannounced, and try to drop them by smashing it up every hill. Simply email or telephone the club asking to join them (no need to mention any recent sportive time you may have ridden).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its not near you, but Dolan are doing their carbon L’Etape with 105 kit for £850. May be worth looking on their website .

theotherjonv

I tried both Defy and Cannondale Synapse and couldn’t choose between them. Then found a discount on the Cannondale and went for that.

Mine’s 105, which is 11 speed; so if/as I want to upgrade then i don’t have to change it all at the same time (Tiagra as on the Defy 2 is 10 speed; you can get a Defy 1 for £40 more with 105 – or Defy 0 with mix of 105 and Ultegra for 799)

Pauls also have the C’dale Synapse 105 disc (same as mine for 799) Disc vs rim is a whole new can of worms; i wanted disc because that’s what my cross bike runs and so i can share wheels across them; others MMV.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Neil, best advice I can give you as you’re in Porty is to head into town a bit- Edinburgh Bicycles is a good shout- and have a wee look around and get some advice.

As above, something like a Defy would suit you down to the ground: EB do them, here’s mine:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-defy-1-disc-16

….now down to £799 from the £999 I paid- its been a great bike. Can recommend. But it might not be for you, which is why a physical bike shop would be best. Eb are great at offering advice.

theotherjonv

Just looked at where you are – EBC have a sale on and do both Giant and Cannondale and have eg Defy 1 for £719 is all sizes for now; Defy 2 for £600…..

and you can try for size too.

Bregante

^^there’s your answer^^

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New to road biking’ is closed to new replies.