Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New to road bikes question – brake pads
  • themilo
    Free Member

Started commuting to work on my cheap road bike (Triban 3) at the back end of summer. With the deterioration in weather ive been shocked by how bad the stopping ability is in comparison to the mtb. I’m working on the assumption that the brake blocks are the main culprit-has anyone got a recommendation for some that provide decent wet weather performance please?

Thanks

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah brake blocks make a huge difference, especially compared to OEM ones on cheapish bikes.

A lot of people will say Kool Stop Salmon pads are the best. I’ve been impressed with these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-55mm-caliper-brake-shoe/rp-prod55815

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are they cartridge style with metal backs and replaceable pads? These help, as do better pads.

But in the wet, if you’ve come from discs on the mtb, then you’ll often need to clear the rim of water with a bit of ‘pre-braking’ and get used to them not being quite as good.

themilo
    Free Member

Right, Clarke or salmon then. Cheers, I’ll have a look. But scary on the downhill stretch these OEM onces tbh…….

beej

Swissstop green for me, expensive (though you get two pairs in the pack) but I’ve tested them descending Passo Giau in torrential rain. Didn’t die.

flannol
    Free Member

swisstop green compound. I’ve used and tried them all, these are remarkably better (in power and modulation) than swissstop / dura ace, etc and v. durable

prawny

Swissstop green by a mile. Used to have koolstops which are good but don’t last. Swissstops are better and last for ages

Philby

I use Koolstop Salmons – seem to work well but wear out quickly. You might also consider getting a better set of dual pivot brakes – Shimano 105s are rated.

simon_g

The difference between whatever was on the cheapy Edinburgh co-op road bike I had (even with better pads) and the 105s on my current bike is incredible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New to road bikes question – brake pads’ is closed to new replies.