• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by accu.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New (to me) frame – deeply unfashionable.
  • flyingmonkeycorps

26″ wheels – check. Hardtail – check. QR rear wheel – check. 1-1/8th headtube – check.

Brilliant fun – double check.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Nice bike.

chomp
    Free Member

BURN HIM!!!!!

(I miss mine)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ampthill

-1 for no front derailleur

kayla1
    Free Member

Jolly good. Here’s mine-

I’d been looking for an XS frame for aaaaages, and this frame cropped up on ebay with a reserve and £100 BIN-

Unbelievably, people were bidding on it instead of just buying it now for £100… 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

BFe was also on the list, but a mate was selling the 456 hardly ridden for a price I couldn’t refuse…

It also has inner tubes 😀

honourablegeorge

Extra points for the camo Sun rims…. awesome

kayla1
    Free Member

Me too. Of course, I was into 26″, straight steerer QR steel hardtails before they were popular… 😆 #bloodyhipsters

Nice bike mister!

PJay
    Free Member

Me too; also 3×9 (Octalink no less), rigid fork, silver finishing kit and bar ends!

Oh, an a funny mudguard.

plus-one

I’m back on an unfashionable bike too and never enjoyed my mtbing as much in a long time 🙂

Genesis io

matt_outandabout

I never left unfashionable. 😕

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m building up this Kinesis Versa for some winter fun.
    Q/R frame,square taper BB,& either 3X9 or 3X8 😀

kayla1
    Free Member

I remember when 8 speed was new and all this was fields…

Saccades
    Free Member

Just refurbed my 456 after 7 years, with new wheels and new to me fork.

8 speed and also features octalink cranks 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Refurbished my Mk1 Soul last year – Rebas, 1×11, assorted bling and carbon, but still 1 1/8, inner tubes and QR.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Not in fashion here either, straight headtube, 26″, 9 speed, front mech, 2006 magura brakes, inner tubes, rasta headset…

flyingmonkeycorps

You guys are making me feel positively modern 😉

OCB
    Free Member

I’ll throw this one in too then:

Rebuilt just before the summer with Surly ECR forks and Saint/XT running gear with Hope M4’s f&R … and yeah, inner tubes. Also has Titec H-bars (in 25.4 of course) with ergonomic grips, and front rack, all to add unfashionably useful comfort & practicality.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Nice looking bike Will, glad you scratched that particular itch- 26in hardcore hardtail all the way!

But

Go 8 speed for extra retro points 🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

is that a ‘go vegan’ sticker? how topical 🙂

ads678

I’ve just made my unfashionable 26″ blue pig even more unfashionable by putting a front mech and a granny ring back on. It’s great!!

OCB
    Free Member

RestlessNative
    is that a ‘go vegan’ sticker? how topical

Certainly is!
    You’ll often find me riding in sandals too (& I have a big beard)

😉

dannyh
    Free Member

This thread makes me sad. 21st December last year some bastard burgled our house and in the process nicked my lovely red 456 evo 2. I bloody loved that bike. I have to admit I even zoomed in on the OPs pic to see if the telltale blobs of pillarbox red touch up paint I’d used were visible.

I replaced it with a raw 45650b that I also love, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the evo 2 was slightly more fun. Less capable, but more fun to chuck about. It looked amazing after a rub down with turtle wax too.

theboatman
    Free Member

Been my only mtb since 2008, sad I know; tubless, 2×9 and recently popped the forks out to 120mm to get with the times. Given the choice available now I don’t really know what I would start looking for to replace it. But since I still love it, I’ll not be too troubled for now.

kiwijohn

Took the old girl for a razz yesterday. Even more unfashionable with the V brakes, but they still work, mostly.

Had to order a new drive train for it afterwards & was very tempted to go 1×11, but decided to keep the 3×9 for bike packing expeditions.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Another Pipedream

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Go 8 speed for extra retro points

How many points for 7 speed 😆

Got my 1994 Lava dome out on Friday morning and did a 35 mile Quantocks ride, I’d forgotten how much fun the old boneshaker can be. 26″, 3×7, v brakes, rigid fork, sub 600mm bars, 100+ mm stem, tubes in the tyres. Certainly makes you realise just how good bikes are these days!

TooTall
    Free Member

My FS 29er is now pretty much retro, so you lot are in a niche that time forgot.

kiwijohn

We’ll never forget.

mark90
    Free Member

26″
    QR front and rear
    3×9 gearing
    No dropper
    Shit tyres with tubes

Though it does lose points for having a bottle cage before they became enduro-gnar.

accu
    Free Member

still lots of fun…. 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New (to me) frame – deeply unfashionable.’ is closed to new replies.