Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • new to glasses ( distance ) world looks clear but weird ..IF I ….
  • kaiser
    Free Member

wear them a lot to allow my brain to get accustomed ( anything sloping seems far more slanted etc ) once my vision has adjusted won’t things look weird without the glasses ? How does this work ?
    thanks in advance
    Bill

chewkw
    Free Member

kaiser – Member
    … once my vision has adjusted won’t things look weird without the glasses ?

Yes, they look larger. The world is wider without glasses but you cannot see them clearly. 😆

km79
    Free Member

It can take me a couple of mins to adjust between wearing and not wearing glasses. It helps if I look around lots and focus on things different distances away.

kaiser
    Free Member

my trouble is that i only need them sometimes so not sure whether to wear them more or not

km79
    Free Member

I was the same when I first got glasses, I would only wear them when needed, usually driving. Gradually as my vision got worse I used them for more things, watching TV, on PC etc until now I just wear them all the time even though it’s only about 50% of the time I need them. Just easier for me.

spooky_b329

They will distort things in your peripheral vision, and also the frames will feel very intrusive.

Your brain will get used to both. When I first got mine it felt like the ground behind me was curving uphill.

The only time it really matters is when you are working out if something is straight, for example I was gluing a rubber strip to the floor recently to stop water coming under the garage door. It looked straight, but using a straight edge or closing the garage door proved it had a gentle curve 🙂

kaiser
    Free Member

also noticed my vision is worse with objects around 1m away when wearing the glasses ..not near enough to use readers but guess it’ll mean glasses for distance stuff , no glasses for nearer stuff and readers for close up .What a pain !

bruneep

jes
    Free Member

Whats the Rx?

voodoochris
    Free Member

I can second what spooky’s saying. Took me a good two weeks to get used to the peripheral vision thing. All good now. Only notice it when I first put my glasses on. After 5 minutes I forget I’m wearing them.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m mildly shortsighted. I wear my glasses 100% of waking hours, but I can see OK without them. Wearing glasses is like upgrading your TV to HD. Anything less now looks rubbish.

I remember once I had a change in prescription (Astigmatism correction) and the world looked weird through my glasses for a few days (more curved). But now I can’t notice any difference wearing my glasses vs not. The brain’s pretty clever at ironing out the slight weirdness it perceives.

sbob
    Free Member

kaiser – Member

also noticed my vision is worse with objects around 1m away when wearing the glasses

I’m short sighted.
    I wear very vertically slim specs and am of the level where I look under my glasses to read; a poor man’s varifocals if you like.
    Sounds like you should leave them off until you need them.

wicki
    Free Member

What is best for cycling a perscription set of glasses or sunglasses with prescription insert, I like the idea of changing the lens for different conditions but worry the glasses will be to uncomfortable and heavy what do people chose ?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ive just had to get used to varifocals! 😯

Seems for years while I’ve thought my head I’d pointing forwards, it’s been slightly looking left and my eyes have been looking slightly right so now, as well as varifocals, I’ve also got to keep my head further right than it feels to be correct, just to look straight ahead or it goes a bit fuzzy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘new to glasses ( distance ) world looks clear but weird ..IF I ….’ is closed to new replies.