Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New to Edinburgh and need parking (argh!!)
  • georgebell
    Free Member

I need to find parking in Edinburgh 5 days per week, I would normally take public transport but I need my car for the project I am working on.

The city centre seems expensive, I have been offered a space at a car park which is just about to open for £5 per day. It is within a 10 minute walk of Princes Street – does this seem reasonable?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Whereabouts is your work? Princes St is pretty long on foot.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I would say £5 per day is very good, you can be over £2.00 an hour in some places.

Not much within the city centre and it depends where you are coming from and going to but you can park on East Fettes Avenue (north of Inverleith place) for free but it is about a 20 minute walk to the West End of Princess Street and spaces disappear pretty quick in the morning.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£5 sounds cheap to me.

Hohum
    Free Member

Our office has managed to secure a discounted deal of £6 per day at Castle Terrace car park, so your £5 sounds very good.

br
    Free Member

Our office has managed to secure a discounted deal of £6 per day at Castle Terrace car park

no doubt I’ll be subsidising that…

Hohum
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Our office has managed to secure a discounted deal of £6 per day at Castle Terrace car park

no doubt I’ll be subsidising that…

How’s that then? Do you pay full price?

I have never used the car park as I always catch the train in; the thought of having to drive into and out of Edinburgh every day does not appeal at all.

jodafett

Where’s the car park and where are you working. Princes St is about a mile long and there can be a very steep climb towards it. £3.60p/hour in city centre with a max of 3hrs increasing to 4 hrs as you get further out and reducing in price as you go.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Robertson avenue (on gorgie on west side) is the edge of the permit/pay parking zone this side of town.
    Takes 15-20 mins to walk over to the west end.
    Or you could hop on a bus (still cheaper than parking!)

But depends where you’re working.

bigjim

I can walk to Princes St faster than the cars can drive down Lothian Road at rush hour, so I don’t think you are missing anything with a 10 min walk.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Free parking at hermiston gate park and ride, you only pay for bus into town (about £3 IIRC?) I know you said you’d need your car, but if you can walk 10 minutes, then getting a bus wouldn’t be an issue surely?.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New to Edinburgh and need parking (argh!!)’ is closed to new replies.