Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New Ti bashguard for SLX
  • skiboy
    Free Member

Er Well, it will be by the end of next week.. 😀

forgot I had this until just now when putting a carbon post on my soul, wrapeed in bubble on the shelf behind the cotic, a nice piece of Ti paid for by a satellite coms company, the ouside portion is orbiting the world somewhere, i knew it would come in usefull when i ''bagged it'' 10 yrs ago,

will post progress pictures and designs during next week,

skiboy
    Free Member

Solidworks piccys and Ti ring next to original placcy one,

Plastic weighs 158g , replacement Ti weighs 342g !!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, oh well, will post more piccys when finished the cnc milling stratergy..not that anyone is interested…..

jimmy

looks nice but I wouldn't have copied the SLX bash for the job. Bit too chunky (hence the weight?)

alpin
    Free Member

looks good!

was thinking about knocking up a guard from a bit of wood i've got laying around. not so much as a bash guard, more to stop the GF's trousers getting caught on the chain ring.

shame all my tools are either in Munich or the UK….

mangoridebike

go on then, I'm interested 🙂

skiboy
    Free Member

why you wearing your GF's trousers ?

alpin
    Free Member

good point…

mangoridebike

any progress with this?

wwaswas

"why you wearing your GF's trousers ? "

fixie rider with no sister?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Jealous of this, nice little project.

Would also question whether you need to copy the bulky design of the original SLX part – surely ti could be a bit less bulky for a similar strength?

But whatever, I've no idea what I'm talking about. Still loving it and looking forward to seeing the CNC goodness at the other end.

nasher
    Free Member

Would also question whether you need to copy the bulky design of the original SLX part – surely ti could be a bit less bulky for a similar strength?

Exactly what I ws thinking, the slx is only bulky as its plastic..like all other plastic guards.

So maybe a 4mm flat profile would be best? and much lighter and just as strong or stonger!

Look forward to seeing the finished article tho.

cookeaa

Nice bit of "cos I can" project work there…

One thought though would it not make sense to machine the pockets out of the external rather than internal (chainring facing) face? Just from a cleaning crap out POV I know the shimano one has a lovely smooth outer face but Function over aesthetics and all that…

Looks good though…

skiboy
    Free Member

yep, total redesign underway,bit busy at the minute and on holiday next week, so haven't really got the time to sit down and sort the new draft just yet,

Here's the result anyway, looks a bit sh1t imo, loads of changes to make and yes its way to thick, could have reduced the webbing to 1mm but the machining times went through the roof,

starting with a 10mm disc from on next one instead of 16mm so that will shave off a good 25% plus of the weight, lighting pockets and webs on both sides as well, have a good idea of where to go and brought enough grade 2 Ti to make another 2 bash rings and a full set of chain rings which i thought i might have a stab at later, wil make dummys out of alloy though !!!,
    Ti only cost me £150 !!! must be bloody mad 😯

skiboy
    Free Member

oh and yes it's a definate cos i can project, if i had the time i would build a whole bike and a new brick shed and put that fence back up on the left side of the garden, 😀

cookeaa

Thinking about it a bit more (I had nothing better to do) I think most Aluminium bash guards (mostly solid not scalloped like yours) are in the 3-5mm thickness range…

Copying the existing 16mm – webbed design of an injection moulded component for a machined Ti component means it’s never going to be as light as the polycarb’ original let alone the rather basic Aluiminium equivalents, comparing Ti with Aluminium (all very approximate) you have a material with ~ 3 times the hardness and bearing strength of the alloys typically used for bash guard (6061/6082), but Ti is ~ 70% denser, in theory if you went for a design which presented a 3-4mm wide face at the outer circumference, but had similar weight reducing scallops in the side faces (you could take material thickness as low as 1.5mm comfortably, probably less) the finished article would at least be on a par with the lighter Aluminium Bash guards out there I reckon in terms of weight, and impact strength…
    Total fag packet, finger in the wind guesstimation of course…

Of course the thinner you go the less material you need, thus improving cost efficiency too…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

looks good, great job – but you're gonna shed some tears the first time you get a ding in it! i would anyway! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I made and used a few components back in the day, it were fun…

wwaswas

"Ti only cost me £150"

do they give you money back on the shavings/swarf?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nice work, it does look beautifully finished 🙂
    Obviously as you've found out reprdoducing the plastic design in metal is it a bit OTT, but then again it will be super strong!
    I've got 1 of these, which I don't think Envy even make anymore. it's alu but maybe more what you could try for your next ones?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Nice project, good to see the finished result 🙂 And I'll say it again, I'm jealous.

brakes
    Free Member

I'm glad that you're a ship's cook and porcupine and not and engineer because your 'because I can' project is more of a 'regardless that I can't' project 😉

skiboy
    Free Member

my favorite blackadder line that one…

engineer,ex-apprentice,
    cnc machinist vmc/lathe , on/off line programmer, cam programmer alphacam, solidworks cad draftsman, all round fully skilled machinist
    etc etc, man and boy etc etc, 25 years at it now, been the boss here for last 4yrs i think ???,

blah blah, not bragging just thought you were asking bakes,

any more enginears ere ???? 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

only kidding, it's obvious you've got the skills

I've got an engineering degree, but I'm no engineer – wish I was though….

skiboy
    Free Member

coolio bakes,

what do you with that degree ?,

i used to be in fag machines until it became unhealthy, then went motorpsort and last 13yrs nuke and physics for people like sellafield bnfl and awe. i gotta say it's very interesting but a bit secret squirrel etc.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New Ti bashguard for SLX’ is closed to new replies.